Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Points go back into your account and don't expire as long as you... (travel once every 2 years at least? not completely sure what the caveat is, but I know it's pretty generous)
Points don't expire anymore :)

I forget when that announcement came (October 2019 maybe?) either way it's a good change to their program

The caveat now is that you keep your account active--close your account and the points go away.

https://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/rapid_rewards_general_faq.html?CLK=SITESEARCH

Hi, I have a question for SW experts! :)

I have a SW flight to Milwaukee with DD in early April - I'm almost sure I have to cancel based on DH's employer's policy but waiting to find out next week if it includes DD and myself.

My question is - the price for my SW flight dropped significantly today. If I change it and get a travel credit for DD and myself and take the lower price, but then end up needing to cancel altogether (due to the policy or virus spread), how many travel credits will DD and I have (i.e. one each or two each?)

I'm wondering since SW only allows a certain amount of payments when rebooking and last time we had a small credit we couldn't include since we exceeded the # of payment types allowed on one booking.

I hope I'm making sense! Thank you :)

Grrrrr I noticed our Mid May flight from disney to Phila dropped by half of what we paid.. $197 to 99. Yesterday the cost was $245. Anyway, since we need a third seat, I need to call SW to get the fare change. I called, hear a message longer than normal wait.....120 mins. ok, plugged phone into charger, wait , wait , wait. At 2 hours, heard a beep or two and the call dropped. Called back......2 hour wait.

Update.....waited an 45 mins, called dropped. Called back again, waited about 20 mins, call dropped. My phone was always in the same spot, so it's not like I was walking around the house and blocked the signel. But anyway, fourth time, I got through and fare was adjusted.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a question for SW experts! :)

I have a SW flight to Milwaukee with DD in early April - I'm almost sure I have to cancel based on DH's employer's policy but waiting to find out next week if it includes DD and myself.

My question is - the price for my SW flight dropped significantly today. If I change it and get a travel credit for DD and myself and take the lower price, but then end up needing to cancel altogether (due to the policy or virus spread), how many travel credits will DD and I have (i.e. one each or two each?)

I'm wondering since SW only allows a certain amount of payments when rebooking and last time we had a small credit we couldn't include since we exceeded the # of payment types allowed on one booking.

I hope I'm making sense! Thank you :)
You will have 2 credits each. You could always break up a future trip by booking two one-way flights instead of a round-trip flight to increase the number of payment types you can use.

Hour and 30 min on hold so far... trying to cancel a flight that won't cancel online (DD's ticket is linked to DH's because she's a minor but I wanted to use points from her account). Woohoo.

You will have 2 credits each. You could always break up a future trip by booking two one-way flights instead of a round-trip flight to increase the number of payment types you can use.
Thanks so much! I will look to do that.

Thinking more realistically, I know I need to cancel this trip at this point, I just keep hoping (was going to visit DS for the first time since he moved out of state).

I think it depends on a lot of factors. For me, I've always got the cheapest prices on opening day. This is for pittsburgh to orlando usually on a Saturday. So it's a popular route on a popular day for travel. If you can play around with dates/times or use different airports then I can see that people can score cheap prices during the sales. I booked opening day for end of July and the price hasn't come down and the return is over $100 more than it was opening day.

Do you have any experience flying PIT to MCO around Thanksgiving? We’ve flown in May and early December but this year we tentatively have our dates Nov 28-Dec 5 and Nov 28 is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I am really worried about $.

Booking for a family of 5, DH had enough points for 3 of us one way Den to MCO. So I booked that and then booked 2 of the kids one way with cash. Problem is DD18 doesn't know if she really wants to go. If she doesn't go, will it be a problem dropping her from the reservation? If I have to cancel the whole thing, I will lose the low fare for DS14 if it goes up so IDK if I should cancel it now and rebook them separately?
TIA!

Do you have any experience flying PIT to MCO around Thanksgiving? We’ve flown in May and early December but this year we tentatively have our dates Nov 28-Dec 5 and Nov 28 is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I am really worried about $.
We have gone a couple times the week right before Thanksgiving. We would fly home the Saturday before Thanksgiving. We book on opening day and we do ok. It's usually around $130. Hopefully you'll do ok if you book when the flights open.

Booking for a family of 5, DH had enough points for 3 of us one way Den to MCO. So I booked that and then booked 2 of the kids one way with cash. Problem is DD18 doesn't know if she really wants to go. If she doesn't go, will it be a problem dropping her from the reservation? If I have to cancel the whole thing, I will lose the low fare for DS14 if it goes up so IDK if I should cancel it now and rebook them separately?
TIA!
You will be able to cancel one person from the reservation but will need to call to do that.

Has anyone had travel funds expirations extended? Our April trip to Dallas is toast, but I haven't canceled the flights yet. Wondering if I should just leave them and wait for SW to offer extensions...

Has anyone had travel funds expirations extended? Our April trip to Dallas is toast, but I haven't canceled the flights yet. Wondering if I should just leave them and wait for SW to offer extensions...
I believe it's a case by case thing. My mother-in-law was able to get hers extended minus the $100 (I believe that's how much it is) they remove from the overall travel funds though this was last year or the year before can't remember.

We too have April flights (mid-April), one ticket is booked with travel funds that expire in mid-October. We aren't canceling ours quite yet.

I wouldn't count on SWA offering extensions especially with travel funds BUT they may do it. I just wouldn't expect it. I don't think anyone really knows how the airlines will handle it all.

I believe it's a case by case thing. My mother-in-law was able to get hers extended minus the $100 (I believe that's how much it is) they remove from the overall travel funds though this was last year or the year before can't remember.

We too have April flights (mid-April), one ticket is booked with travel funds that expire in mid-October. We aren't canceling ours quite yet.

I wouldn't count on SWA offering extensions especially with travel funds BUT they may do it. I just wouldn't expect it. I don't think anyone really knows how the airlines will handle it all.

Thanks for the reply. Our flights were booked with travel funds that expire end of May. If we lose, we lose, but it sure would be nice to book for October with them. I'm just going to wait.

Updated info on next schedule extension that will cover Thanksgiving, Christmas, and early January 2021:

We are currently accepting air reservations through October 30, 2020. On April 23, 2020 we will open our schedule for sale through January 4, 2021. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

Hopefully, things will look much better for everyone by the end of this year, and that we will all come through all of this okay.

If we cancel our late April trip - we are hoping to go April of 2021. We purchased our tickets for the trip the day they went on sale, October 30th, and don't think that we would use our travel funds (we have Wanna-get-away tickets) before October 30th 2020 I have heard of SW issuing a 6 month extension to travel funds if you pay $100/ticket. Has anyone ever done this?

If we cancel our late April trip - we are hoping to go April of 2021. We purchased our tickets for the trip the day they went on sale, October 30th, and don't think that we would use our travel funds (we have Wanna-get-away tickets) before October 30th 2020 I have heard of SW issuing a 6 month extension to travel funds if you pay $100/ticket. Has anyone ever done this?
You need to wait till the travel funds expire, before requesting the extension. This is done on a case-by-case basis.

Updated info on next schedule extension that will cover Thanksgiving, Christmas, and early January 2021:

Hopefully, things will look much better for everyone by the end of this year, and that we will all come through all of this okay.
Wasn't the original release date early June? For the first time I'm not ready for Southwest to move up their release date!!! If Disney is not up and running by then, I'll still be working on rescheduling the logistics of my April trip! Southwest probably needs the money!

Wasn't the original release date early June? For the first time I'm not ready for Southwest to move up their release date!!! If Disney is not up and running by then, I'll still be working on rescheduling the logistics of my April trip! Southwest probably needs the money!
Yes, June 3rd last week. I checked after making our reservation for October. This could be a move to accelerate cash flow earlier based on the current events.

Yes, I believe the next booking window was previously scheduled to open 06/03/2020. I had the same thought about Southwest needing some revenue sooner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter