Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I was wondering what was happening with the SW flights, thanks for posting! I was looking at ALB-MCO and there was one available and a ton of connecting flights. Makes sense now, but what a bummer!

I've been debating which flight to book when the October dates are released tomorrow. I will be flying Nashville to MCO on a Saturday morning, and as of now, they offer only 2 direct morning flights, one at 6:35, arriving at 9:25, and the other at 9:20, arriving at 12:10. We will be staying at an airport hotel the night before with shuttle service to the airport. I just looked on the SW site and it is recommended in Nashville that you arrive 120 minutes prior to your flight. I haven't flown out of Nashville in years, so my question is what is your experience with Nashville (or any other airport) when leaving on an early morning flight, do you really need to get to the airport 2 hours early? If we take the 6:35 flight, we would need to BE at the airport by 4:30, which would require us leaving the hotel on the shuttle by 4:15 or possibly even 4:00, depending on when the shuttle runs. I really wanted to get to MCO early so we would be able to get to our resort before noon. If we take the 9:20 flight, we probably won't be at our resort until 2:30. But I'm not sure we can get to the airport by 4:30 a.m.! And anyone who has flown this early, did you find you were just worn out all day? I've got to make a decision before tomorrow when the October flights are released!

I would still be there 90 minutes early. You need to have bags checked in by a certain time for all flights and you don't want to chance the TSA lines to be long. I have flown out of Detroit and been to the airport that early a couple of times and there has always been quite a line for that time of the morning. Nashville is a busier and bigger airport. Remember that all the people on your flight will be there plus what ever flights that will be going out in a similar time frame.
You would be amazed at how early you can get up when it means you are heading to Disney! My next flight leaves at 5:30 AM. Not super excited about the time, but the price was about $60 less per person. For that savings I can handle it.

I was wondering what was happening with the SW flights, thanks for posting! I was looking at ALB-MCO and there was one available and a ton of connecting flights. Makes sense now, but what a bummer!

ALB anywhere on SW has been lousy lately. All of the non-stop Vegas flights are completely gone. We ended up with a connecting flight last October because the only non-stop was 7am out of MCO.

ALB anywhere on SW has been lousy lately. All of the non-stop Vegas flights are completely gone. We ended up with a connecting flight last October because the only non-stop was 7am out of MCO.
Interesting! We ended up with a connecting down and a nonstop home, not thrilled about the times for either.

You would think they would be trying a little harder to compete with Jet Blue. At least the bags are still free.

Yesterday I booked our flights from MHT to MCO on SW.
At Manchester NH our direct flights have been cut way back too to one a day.
I booked around 5pm and got $133 direct for the outbound flights for both DH and I.
When booking our return flight it was listed at $133. I booked my flight and then went in
to book my DH and it had gone up to $156. I looked this morning and that same direct flight
home is $203.:sad2:

FWIW, I book our flights separately each way. The reason I do that is because I do check SW pretty
regularly and like to change if the price goes down on our flights. By having each way booked
separately I know exactly what I paid for each flight. The first time I had applied for credits, I
had booked round trip and the price I paid was listed as a total cost; The price had changed a couple
of times, at different times, for both outgoing and return flights. I couldn't remember exactly what
I had paid each way since I had already gotten credits. This alleviates that problem for me.

It's probably not necessary to book them separately but it makes it easier for me to remember exactly
what I paid::yes::
Glad I booked yesterday and I still will be lurking and watching SW for any type of change in price:sail:

I booked my October Nashville to Orlando non-stop flights yesterday morning. I was on SW website at 6:00 a.m. and dates had not been posted. I kept refreshing and still at 6:15, no dates. I checked back at 6:30 and there they were. The flights I selected were $156 out of Nashville and $135 return, which I thought was decent. However, I was buying 4 tickets and by the time I typed in all the info and double checked it, when I clicked to complete the transaction, a message popped up that said the rates were no longer available! I thought once you select flights, those fares stay in your cart until the transaction is completed. So I went back and was still able to choose the same non-stop flights but the price had jumped to $195 each way! Our flights cost $400 more than the original flights I had in my cart 10 minutes after the flight times were released! I was not a happy camper, but at this point I am just happy I was able to get the non-stop flights I wanted. I checked SW throughout the day and those same flights increased to $220, then $260 each way! And this morning those flights are sold out. I searched for 1 and 2 persons instead of 4, and prices were the same. I never received the confirmation email and checked my account online and though I could see the trip listed, I couldn't access the details. Last night I called SW and spoke to an agent who said their system is being changed in May and some people have received duplicate confirmation numbers. It took her over 40 minutes to "fix" it and issue a new confirmation number for my trip. I asked her about the price changing during check out and she said that sometimes happens even when she is booking flights. While changing my trip info to the new confirmation number, she said she had noticed the huge price increases on these flights, but she was able to keep my prices the same as what I originally booked. I asked her since it had taken so long to correct the situation, if SW could give me the original price of the flights, but she said she wasn't allowed to do that! So if you don't receive your confirmation email from SW, or if you can't access your trip online, you need to call SW.

I booked my October Nashville to Orlando non-stop flights yesterday morning. I was on SW website at 6:00 a.m. and dates had not been posted. I kept refreshing and still at 6:15, no dates. I checked back at 6:30 and there they were. The flights I selected were $156 out of Nashville and $135 return, which I thought was decent. However, I was buying 4 tickets and by the time I typed in all the info and double checked it, when I clicked to complete the transaction, a message popped up that said the rates were no longer available! I thought once you select flights, those fares stay in your cart until the transaction is completed. So I went back and was still able to choose the same non-stop flights but the price had jumped to $195 each way! Our flights cost $400 more than the original flights I had in my cart 10 minutes after the flight times were released! I was not a happy camper, but at this point I am just happy I was able to get the non-stop flights I wanted. I checked SW throughout the day and those same flights increased to $220, then $260 each way! And this morning those flights are sold out. I searched for 1 and 2 persons instead of 4, and prices were the same. I never received the confirmation email and checked my account online and though I could see the trip listed, I couldn't access the details. Last night I called SW and spoke to an agent who said their system is being changed in May and some people have received duplicate confirmation numbers. It took her over 40 minutes to "fix" it and issue a new confirmation number for my trip. I asked her about the price changing during check out and she said that sometimes happens even when she is booking flights. While changing my trip info to the new confirmation number, she said she had noticed the huge price increases on these flights, but she was able to keep my prices the same as what I originally booked. I asked her since it had taken so long to correct the situation, if SW could give me the original price of the flights, but she said she wasn't allowed to do that! So if you don't receive your confirmation email from SW, or if you can't access your trip online, you need to call SW.
As I was reading your post, I was hoping by the end they would honor the original price if they saw the time you were trying to book the tickets. Thanks for the explanation of systems being changed I. May. That will help a lot of ppl here going through same thing like I did.

Southwest's non-stop flights are so disappointing! Why have they cut them back so much? We always flew out early and flew home late, both non-stop. We've never taken connecting flights, but it seems like such a hassle!

It is very common for prices to rapidly change on the morning flights are released due to the low number of fares available in each "bucket". When you put the 4 tickets in your cart, you may have selected the only 4 fares available at that price. Since many people are aware when SW releases new flights, many others were probably looking at that same flight. If someone booked ONE ticket, then you can't book your 4. You MAY have been able to go back and book 3 at the original price and 1 at the higher price. When you buy tickets together, they are ALL priced at the higher price, even if there are 3 tickets left at lower price.

I usually book my tickets one at a time on extension day. I will load up 3 diff browsers logged into 3 different accounts (IE, Firefox, Chrome) and book them 1 at a time, but I try to do them all at the same time, switching back and forth between windows. It's a bit of a pain, and not always needed, but it would help avoid your situation.

I was up at 6 am on Thursday when they released the next wave of flights. I had to keep refreshing until about 6:15 when they were finally available. I ended up paying $146 each way for myself, DW and DS from CMH to MCO nonstop. Then Thursday night the flight down was up to $166, and last night the flight back was also $166. It's crazy to think that in over a day, the total price was $120 more. I also agree that SW is cutting back on nonstops. This time there was only a 6 am and 2 pm down, and an 11:45 am and 6 pm back. Usually there is a third nonstop sometime. Good news is that we are heading to Disney as a family, and that's priceless!!

I'm pretty much a rookie when it comes to flying, and I've never flown Southwest before. I've tried reading through this thread, but I'm still confused.

We're planning to fly BUF to MCO in September. Are prices likely to drop from what they are now or do they pretty much stay the same? How soon do they usually sell out? I'm not planning to fly again in the next year, so having a credit won't do me any good. Right now, the non-stop flight I'm looking at going down is $252 and the return flight is $157. Is that a typical/decent price that I might as well just go ahead and book?

Thanks for any help! I know these are probably stupid questions, but I've tried reading several different things, and I'm more confused than ever.

the best i could get out of atlanta to mco was $245.87 for non stop flights.
last year for the same dates i paid $133

I'm pretty much a rookie when it comes to flying, and I've never flown Southwest before. I've tried reading through this thread, but I'm still confused.

We're planning to fly BUF to MCO in September. Are prices likely to drop from what they are now or do they pretty much stay the same? How soon do they usually sell out? I'm not planning to fly again in the next year, so having a credit won't do me any good. Right now, the non-stop flight I'm looking at going down is $252 and the return flight is $157. Is that a typical/decent price that I might as well just go ahead and book?

Thanks for any help! I know these are probably stupid questions, but I've tried reading several different things, and I'm more confused than ever.

Your flight down is really high. But you might not do better on Southwest at this point. Have you looked at JetBlue?

Even your return flight is high but it may be the best you can do at this point. I would look at some of the other airlines because even with baggage fees, you would probably do better

Your flight down is really high. But you might not do better on Southwest at this point. Have you looked at JetBlue?

Even your return flight is high but it may be the best you can do at this point. I would look at some of the other airlines because even with baggage fees, you would probably do better

Thank you. I've checked JetBlue, Delta, American, and United. They are all about the same price right now when accounting for one bag for each of us. Jet Blue would save us about $54 for the two tickets. Southwest and Jet Blue are the only two that have non-stop service, though that isn't a deal breaker (but it would be nice). I'll keep checking.

There just isn't enough competition anymore.

Look at how many airlines we lost in the last decade or so:
Northwest
America West
Airtram
US Airways

And national airlines remaining
Southwest
Jet blue
American
United
Delta

That's almost half! And there are quite a few that left in the previous decade or two.

I think we are particularly being hurt now by the AA and US Airlines merger.

My Southwest flight for May has just dropped again. CMH to MCO has dropped from $135 to $70 and now my return flight RSW to CMH has dropped from $144 to $109 which I found odd as it was all the way up to $250 just yesterday. I now have $98 in credits x 4 that I am not sure what I am going to do with but I am still happy I booked when I did as I am traveling with an autistic child and am picky about my flights/times.

Ours went down also. From $116 to $83.

However we got them for $83 on release day so no credit (yet)

But seems many prices dropped today so everyone check!

Ours went down also. From $116 to $83.

However we got them for $83 on release day so no credit (yet)

But seems many prices dropped today so everyone check!

Thanks! I checked earlier today, and they were the same price. I just checked again now, and they've dropped. Is it too early to buy for September? Should I just bite the bullet?

Thanks! I checked earlier today, and they were the same price. I just checked again now, and they've dropped. Is it too early to buy for September? Should I just bite the bullet?
We have already bought for September for our trip. I bought on release day. And ours have only gone higher. If yours have dropped, I personally would consider it.

Last year, I also bought on release day for our Sept/Oct trip, and the flights were never cheaper than what we bought on that first day. They only went up. I think it depends on where you are flying out of. For us, the cheapest is $151 each per flight, and incredibly the nonstop was the cheapest which was what we wanted anyways. This price was cheaper than last years, so I had no hesitation on booking right away. I would say, if it's a price you can live with, book it!

I wish we had an airport near us that flew southwest that offered some of the prices I see people booking on here! I wish we could get ours so cheap, but I think it really depends on your airport.

We have already bought for September for our trip. I bought on release day. And ours have only gone higher. If yours have dropped, I personally would consider it.

Last year, I also bought on release day for our Sept/Oct trip, and the flights were never cheaper than what we bought on that first day. They only went up. I think it depends on where you are flying out of. For us, the cheapest is $151 each per flight, and incredibly the nonstop was the cheapest which was what we wanted anyways. This price was cheaper than last years, so I had no hesitation on booking right away. I would say, if it's a price you can live with, book it!

I wish we had an airport near us that flew southwest that offered some of the prices I see people booking on here! I wish we could get ours so cheap, but I think it really depends on your airport.

Thanks. It's done. :) Now I remember why I like driving so much. ;) But at least it's only two tickets this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter