Possible to only bring a carryon to Disney?

Of course it is possible.

You can buy sunscreen there. Or purchase bottles that are less than 3.4 ounces. Remember that EACH of you can bring a quart-size baggie. You won't need a huge bottle of sunscreen on a short trip. Or buy sunscreen wipes.

Two ounces of sunscreen EVERY HOUR? Nope.

They make sunscreen wipes. I buy a big box on Amazon at the beginning of each summer. I like to be as light as possible in the parks, and these are more convenient than bottles of sunscreen.

If you use spray sunscreen, it's difficult to find a spray bottle less than 6 or 8 oz. I searched at home and couldn't find a 3 oz bottle (to get past TSA).

- If you have a car, the Orlando drugstores have pretty good prices
- If you don't have a car, in the Orlando airport, the news shop in the main terminal (Hudson Booksellers I believe) has 8 oz spray sunscreen for about $16. Oddly enough, Ron Jon's Surf Shop had only the cream.

Last edited:
You didn't say where you were staying. Remember that you can always do a load of laundry to reduce the amount of clean clothes you have to bring. If you're in an offsite condo or home rental, you'll have your own washer/dryer, and just about every motel/hotel at least has common laundry facilities. Same with Disney - if you're in a DVC/villa type unit, you'll have your own laundry, and there's a laundry room in every Disney resort. The common laundry rooms are usually located next to one of the pools at the resort, so it's easy to throw in a load while you enjoy the pool for a bit.

That's what I was thinking too, we are both pale Irish, so we use tons of sunscreen. Someone else pointed out to me that buying a bottle, even at Disney prices, will be cheaper than a checked bag fee, so that's likely what we'll do.

It won't be cheaper by much. I think the last time I purchased sunscreen in Epcot it was $15. I'd eat the other $10 and check a bag.

So impressed by all of you who can just do carryon. Unless it's only one or two nites it never works. My shampoo, conditioner, makeup, face creams, wrinkle release for clothes, shoes, etc take up way too much room.

Amen, sister!

So impressed by all of you who can just do carryon. Unless it's only one or two nites it never works. My shampoo, conditioner, makeup, face creams, wrinkle release for clothes, shoes, etc take up way too much room.
We take travel-size bottles of shampoo and conditioner. We would never take full-size bottles. Also, shoes take up a LOT of room. We each take one pair of walking shoes (sneakers) and flip-flops or water shoes for the water parks. If you pack 4 or 5 pairs of shoes for yourself, you are all but guaranteed to have to check a bag(s), as carry-on won't do.

Being low-maintenance rocks!! :) A week without my usual shampoo and crap isn't going to kill me. (I *gasp* don't even have a "regular" shampoo - whatever is on sale works just fine. Granted I don't freak about frizz either.)

Carry-on all the way. And just buy the sunscreen there. That extra $10 difference can be used so many better ways than checking a bag!!

I even did a week-long cruise to Alaska with days on either end last summer with ONLY carry-on!!

I can overflow into a tote bag as my "personal item" if I need to. .
This is also key. Each passenger gets one carry-on and one personal item.

Your personal item can be a large makeup bag/small duffel bag/oversize purse that stacks on top of your carryon.

If you don't carry a purse (leave it at home, or pack it flat into your carryon or personal bag), you can have quite a bit of packing space, and still avoid checking bags.

We just spent a week in Europe with one carry-on and one personal item each. Easy if you mix and match your clothes, pack travel-size containers, and don't pack tons of shoes.

I took a carry on during my trip last month for a 4 night stay. I took the legal limit and bought the rest if needed.

I use solid shampoo, solid conditioner, solid deodorant, solid face cleanser and sunscreen wipes. And you CAN find spray sunscreen under 4 oz, although it is hard to find. and I will bring only two pairs of shoes at the most. Unless I'm going to Victoria & Albert's I don't need extra shoes.

I have a free bag through my loyalty program and I hate schlepping bags around. Plus where would I put all my shoes? ;)
Also this way I can look with disdain at everybody trying to push their over packed carryons into spaces much to small and holding up the entire boarding process. I think to speed process through security and have more on time takeoffs airlines should charge for carry on and checked baggage should go free. (Joking sort of)

I have a free bag through my loyalty program and I hate schlepping bags around. Plus where would I put all my shoes? ;)
Also this way I can look with disdain at everybody trying to push their over packed carryons into spaces much to small and holding up the entire boarding process. I think to speed process through security and have more on time takeoffs airlines should charge for carry on and checked baggage should go free. (Joking sort of)

FWIW, I had room to spare in my duffel-style carry-on for that 10 day Alaska trip. And that included stuff for 4 races!

For 3 days I could do it - I would put just what I needed bathroom wise into very small containers like face cream into a contact lense container to fit more into my quart size bag - I'd buy sunscreen at the resort. I would live without my normal shampoo but you could put some into a travel size container that could go into the quart size bag. I found Aveeno lotion in a travel size container that works fine for body and hand that I bring.
I would narrow any other bathroom stuff down - like make sure to only bring a couple of immodium, travel size advil, travel size body glide, travel size deoderant, ect. to lighten the load.

I would also plan on layers and rewearing things like bottoms if necessary. I'd wear my jeans, put in a pair of shorts and a pair of capris in the carryon bag - plus enough tops and undergarments which wouldn't be much for 3 days. Toss in one sweater that would go with everything. I'd only bring one extra pair of shoes.
I'd probably wear my light jacket on the plane too. And I'd bring a fold up back just in case for souvenirs.

Dang - reading this makes me almost want to try it on my 5 night trip but I'm flying Southwest so my checked bag will be free so I'll just concentrate on lightening that load and leaving room for souvenirs in it.

My wife & I (no kids) go carry-on just about everywhere. And the freedom to (literally) backpack across Europe by train. or stay in an old Parisian 5 floor walk-up next to the Louvre is worth it.

I always try to plan for the best but budget for the worst - spending an extra $50 for misc items won't affect our budgets too badly.

And do laundry! Only have to take 5 days worth of clothes for a 10+ day trip...as long as they mostly match each other its a ton of different combinations. In Athens, Greece they have a combo laundromat-bar; that was awesome! Easy to do laundry on a "resort" day (we stay at the Swan) - its not a big hassle for us at all.

Four of us for a week we check 1 bag and use our personal item (max out the size allowed). For a 4 day trip we only use the personal item bag and we do laundry if needed

If you have the Target redcard, you can ship sunscreen and other items for free. But we did have a little trouble our first trip when we ordered diapers from Target and they got lost for a day in the Disney distribution center.

I am always amazed seeing the amount of stuff people bring with them everywhere. You aren't going to a third world country. If you forget something you truly need, buy it.
I have never checked a bag in my life and we usually bring one carry on each (no backpacks/personal items- except winter trips when the personal item is a jacket), and that includes our three week long trip to Europe and 9 night cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter