PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL INFO...FAQ`s and more.......

Which wing is closest to the Beach Pool?? Also how well does the Portofino do at accommodating requests made....I'm hoping with the Despicable me Suite booked I can request a room that is closest to the main "beach" pool for the family. Thanks in advance for any info!!! :)

I would request the suite on the top floor of the west wing. Very close to the beach pool. I've always found them very accommodating to our requests.

CRISIS avoided!!! Well I shouldn't say crisis since we'll be on vacation....... Called today and was actually given my assigned room number for my Despicable me Suite ( I was told by Front Desk that shouldn't have happened but anyways....) Every single review I had read on this room# was not good.. different then pics, bad location, dirty, etc..... Called directly to hotel and got a super nice girl (April or Allison) and she went out of her way to relocate our room for when we arrive in a week..... While she said she couldn't give me the room number she assured no bunk beds and a beautiful bay view..... I'm super excited and can't wait to share the pics!!!

anyways I would of never thought to call and get this information if not for this thread!!! Thanks again!!!!

CRISIS avoided!!! Well I shouldn't say crisis since we'll be on vacation....... Called today and was actually given my assigned room number for my Despicable me Suite ( I was told by Front Desk that shouldn't have happened but anyways....) Every single review I had read on this room# was not good.. different then pics, bad location, dirty, etc..... Called directly to hotel and got a super nice girl (April or Allison) and she went out of her way to relocate our room for when we arrive in a week..... While she said she couldn't give me the room number she assured no bunk beds and a beautiful bay view..... I'm super excited and can't wait to share the pics!!!

anyways I would of never thought to call and get this information if not for this thread!!! Thanks again!!!!

SO glad to hear that ! Hope you have an incredible time. Weather is supposed to be wonderful.

SO glad to hear that ! Hope you have an incredible time. Weather is supposed to be wonderful.

Yep, glad to hear that too........

And thank you dsmom for all the advice you've given in the thread so far.........much appreciated.......::yes::

this is a great place to help each other.
i always try to answer questions as i can remember all i had were books to read back in 1992 when i first started going to the darkside.
learning by trial and error takes up too much time and money.

having a board to gain more information is valuable.
trip planning to a new place can be frightening.
never know how to find details if others don't help you out.

Just back from from an 8 day stay in Villas room 2292, with club access. Hope to get a trip report up with details of the highs and lows and pics of the club hot offerings soon.

Just back from from an 8 day stay in Villas room 2292, with club access. Hope to get a trip report up with details of the highs and lows and pics of the club hot offerings soon.

Can't wait to read it and see the pictures!

Brilliant!!

Look forward to reading about it all.........

We leave for out Universal trip on Sunday and are staying at Portifino for the first time! Can't wait to read your review.

Still waiting on club pics from my wife. We arrived on Sunday at 9AM and checked in. I expected to have to wait until afternoon, but they had rooms ready. My DD11 really wanted a patio or balcony and they had a patio available. The downside to that was that the room was all the way at the end of the villas wing on floor 2 from the club lounge and lobby on floor 3. That was one long walk, the hallway seemed to be endless, but we suffered it for the patio. The patio overlooked to villas pool and was a nice place to sit in the evenings and afternoons, but got direct sun before noon. It seems that smokers also like to have a patio, so be aware that you may have some near but I think we only smelled smoke twice while on the patio. The deluxe room which comes with club was very spacious and comfortable. We loved our room. It was quiet, the beds were comfy and we slept like babies. There was an issue with the safe being inoperable but we didn't bother with it. The hotel provided a complimentary fridge for us, which was greatly appreciated for storing drinks from the club lounge.

The club lounge was often at capacity or near capacity in the main room while we were there. It was busy from the time we arrived until Friday or so as Spring Break families headed home. There were lots of Brits staying for all or part of the 2 week school holiday period following Easter. Saturday and Sunday were much less busy in the lounge. Soft drinks (Coke, Diet Coke, and Sprite) were available all day along with bottled water. Guests were encouraged to take drinks with them to parks or to their room. Each morning breakfast consisted of bagels, cream cheese, bread, butter, various pastries, hot oatmeal, peeled hard boiled eggs, strawberries, melon and pineapple mix, yogurt, cereal, milk and OJ from 7-10 M-T and 7-11 F-Su. In the afternoon, bags of chips were available for snacks. From 5-7 in the evening the hot offerings consisted of a starch like rice or pasta, and a mix of meat and vegetables like Italian sausage and peppers, seafood and sausage paella, or meatballs among other chef selections. Beer by the bottle and wine by the glass was included and offered freely. The beers were nothing special, I believe it was Bud and Miller Lite and Peroni, an Italian lager. I stuck with the Peroni, which was just OK. Red and White wines were also served. Beers and wine to be taken with you were poured in a plastic cup. To accompany the hot dishes were salads (the small plates were not really salad friendly and guests often asked for and were provided with bowls). The fixing usually consisted of a nice spring mix, plus separately, blue or Feta cheese crumbles, kalamata olives, grape tomatoes, balsamic, ranch or blue cheese dressing, artichoke hearts, onions and croutons. There were always 4 cheeses on the center serving bar with various crackers and crostini bread. From 8-10, a sweet offering was provided which was milk and CC cookies, plus a surprise baked item like brownies or cheesecake bites, and a small cup or shooter or a pudding or mousse. These were different each night we were there except for the cookies and milk. We really appreciated the lounge and could have eaten just what was provided if not for DD11 insisting on restaurants she wanted to try. The staff at the lounge was always very attentive and would stop and hold conversations.

The weather all week was perfect. We enjoyed the shops lining the harbor level, especially the Studios store for Harry Potter items. We indulged in Gelato and tried, which we felt was overpriced for sandwiches, but fairly priced on their pizzas, which I would recommend. We didn't get to try sitdown restaurants at PBH as DD11 had her own ideas on where she wanted to go. We found the housekeeping to be great most days, just acceptable some days, and one day, Saturday, we had to call because they hadn't come by the time we returned to the room at 6PM. We are pretty easy-going and didn't find much to complain about. We absolutely loved our stay. The water taxi ran fast and often. The ExpressPass with the hotel room was critical to have in busy parks. We were very happy and hated to leave. I'll try to get pics soon, and would be happy to answer any questions.

One thing to add. My daughter really loves to use the pools. She used both the villas pool and the beach pool. She much preferred the pool at Royal Pacific and we went there on two nights for her to swim. The staff at the PBH pool were no where near as attentive to guests as at RPR. Food service stops at around 7:30-8, while RPR is until around 9:30. One night the pool movie was stuck for an hour, that wouldn't happen at RPR pool. I don't know why the pool was the one area where service fell down so badly. YMMV.

Last edited:
We are staying at Portofino for the 1st time July 10-14. We have a Bay view 2Q room. Anyone have suggestions for better room locations? Do some of these rooms have balconies? Can I call or email them early with a request ( I know they can't guarantee but would like to try)? We don't mind any distance from pool or lobby, just don't want a ground floor on the walkway area because I think it could get noisy.
Thanks for any help.

One thing to add. My daughter really loves to use the pools. She used both the villas pool and the beach pool. She much preferred the pool at Royal Pacific and we went there on two nights for her to swim. The staff at the PBH pool were no where near as attentive to guests as at RPR. Food service stops at around 7:30-8, while RPR is until around 9:30. One night the pool movie was stuck for an hour, that wouldn't happen at RPR pool. I don't know why the pool was the one area where service fell down so badly. YMMV.

We are are heading back to PBH next month and can't wait. Thanks so much for sharing!

I just booked for 7/2-7/5. It'll be our first trip to Universal after many trips to WDW.

One question -- the room description on the Universal site says there's a "refreshment pantry" in the room, and Carmelhp's post refers to the hotel "providing" a fridge. Does that meant fridges don't come standard in the rooms? And if we have to ask for it, is availability limited? For a July visit, I really want a fridge for bottles of water.

I just booked for 7/2-7/5. It'll be our first trip to Universal after many trips to WDW.

One question -- the room description on the Universal site says there's a "refreshment pantry" in the room, and Carmelhp's post refers to the hotel "providing" a fridge. Does that meant fridges don't come standard in the rooms? And if we have to ask for it, is availability limited? For a July visit, I really want a fridge for bottles of water.

That is correct. There are no fridges in the rooms at Portofino....only at Hard Rock and Royal Pacific. The one that is there is an honor bar filled with stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about availability.

Thank you! I was on the phone anyway changing something else so I asked about fridges. He told me they cost $15/night. Not sure if that's accurate, but I thought I'd put it here as an FYI. :-)

Thank you! I was on the phone anyway changing something else so I asked about fridges. He told me they cost $15/night. Not sure if that's accurate, but I thought I'd put it here as an FYI. :-)

Yes, that is accurate. It is free if you have a baby or a medical need.

Quick update!! Currently in the Despicable me family suite at Portofino Bay... Kids absolutely love the room . We are in West Wing 3rd floor and have a beautiful view of the bay and water taxi... Will post more pics when I get home but love the room and love the hotel

p.s. The express pass is the greatest thing ever invented!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 107

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!