Port Orleans Questions, please help

Fantasia Sam

I've been here so much longer!
We are 2 adults going to PO but are unsure whether to go for POR or POFQ.

Can you advise.

Also would you book a King Room or a Water View Room?

I don't really know what to do here and I have to book the rooms really within the next 24 hours.

Many thanks in advance for all your help

I personally prefer POR. I think the theme is executed better and I like the look and feel better. I always book a waterview room to make sure I don't get a parkinglot view plus when you arrive in the lot via car or bus you have to walk through part of the resort which takes you away from the rest of the world into the theme.
I like the Alligator bayou section better. It is more rustic and countrified. The Mansion secion is more formal.
POFQ is nice to though my least favorite of the moderates. The room decore was really good and you will find most people recommend it because it is smaller and easy to get to the food court. This was true, our room was in building 6 and it was very convenient to go get coffee and sodas in the bottomless mug.

We stayed at the French Quarter and LOVED IT!!!! We stayed in a standard room and it was fine. You can fax a request 4 days in advance and they are usually accomodating (if they have the availability).

we just got back from 4 nights AKL and 4 nights POR-mansions. Of course it was hard to go from a deluxe to a moderate, but I expected POR to be a bit nicer than I found it. The mansion room we were in (Magnolia Terrace, 1st floor 8552) was very shabby - the bedframes had the veneer coming off, the room smelled damp, the shower curtain was a tiny bit moldy (not as bad as the one at home, though ;) ) and there was some brown stuff on the shower ceiling...

We didn't want to change rooms, since we were right next to my mother and cousin's family, and I wiped the mold off with a facecloth. Next time we'll request 2nd floor, and as far away from the condenser units as possible. That humming/machine noise was unpleasant. Couldn't hear it from the back side of the mansions, but they were in the shrubbery right outside our front facing room.

We didn't spend as much time at the resort as we did when we stayed at AKL, so we didn't care too much about these things. But it just didn't seem as clean (gum stuck to a footbridge was there for the 4 days we were there, no one attempted to even clean it up) as AKL, or as I remember CBR to be. They did a lot of tree trimming while we were there as well - piles of brush half way across the paths were a bit annoying, as were the sounds of chainsaws at 7:30 AM. And there was always litter in the shrubs around the mansion we stayed in.

My BIL and his family stayed in the Alligator Bayou section, building 39. I loved the theming there, it appeared much cleaner, and much quieter. A bit of a long walk to the food court, though! If we have to stay there again I'd definitely ask for the bayou section, somewhere close to the food court.

Schmeck

DH and I stayed in a King bed room at POR this September. I would book a king if I were you. Having the one bed makes the room seem larger, because there is more floor space. If you book a king, the view is variable. You won't have to pay extra for a water view. There aren't very many kings (60 out of 2000 rooms at POR). We asked for a water view room and got a "semi" water view room.

If you decide to book a regular room, I would not pay extra for water view. Because the corridors are exterior you will probably keep yoru window closed. This, plus not having a balcony means you will only enjoy the water view on the way in and out of the room. I don't think it's worth the extra money, but I do think a King is.

I've got some pics on my site (link in my signature)

Originally posted by Schmeck
I expected POR to be a bit nicer than I found it. The mansion room we were in (Magnolia Terrace, 1st floor 8552) was very shabby -

DH and I also stayed in Magnolia Terrace (second floor, 8767) and we found the same thing. I didn't think our room was bad enough to complain or ask for another room, but things did seem a bit "worn." And it was obviously that areas of the room that weren't used daily didn't get cleaned too often. There was a layer of dust on the bathroom light fixtures and in corners.

I like PO-FQ better, but they are both nice.

Check out some websites with pics and see which one you like better:D

I wouldn't pay extra for a water view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter