POR - Royal Rooms or Preferred rooms better?

Personally, I think that Disney decided to pick rooms that were less popular at POR and CBR and added theming in an effort to make them more desirable. If you look at a map of POR, Parterre Place and Oak Manor are two buildings that are a little bit off from the main areas of the resort, like the pool and food court. The regular rooms have a lower price ands are closest to the first bus top, Preferred rooms are close to everything, Magnolia Manor and Acadia are fairly well located, near the second bus stop and are lower priced. RR have extra theming. (Similarly, If you go to CBR, the pirate rooms are the most distant, undesirable location (IMO) but have the extra theming and cost more.)

Basically, wherever you stay in POR you can at least say that there is some advantage to your room's location.

RR's are very nicely themed, but I'm not sure that they are really worth the extra $$. The rooms are the same size as all the others and offer few advantages other than theming. The other rooms at the resort are also very nice, though. The preferred rooms in AB are my first choice because they just are so close to almost everything, have really cute rustic theming and are set in lovely grounds. You can walk to the first bus stop from them if you so desire, the first bus stop is not all that far from building. 18 or 27 (preferred buildings). Some of the further rooms in Parterre place (RR's) are just about as far from any bus stop, as those are from the west depot (first stop).

I also agree that the bus runs around the stops in the order that it does so that it functions to bring those from the most distant rooms around to the main area (for dining, boat to DS, etc). Of course it only works as an internal bus in one direction.

All that is just my conjecture/opinion, of course. :)

All that said, I love POR and have happily stayed in multiple areas of the resort. FWIW, my room preferences, in order, are as follows:
1. preferred rooms in AB (most convenient)
2. regular rooms in mansions (combination of lowest price and good location)
3. Royal rooms (nice theming and good location)
4. regular AB rooms (good value, quaint setting)

Hi there! I agree wholeheartedly with @Babsy The Royal rooms are in buildings that are furthest from the main hub of the resort, the main pool area and restaurants, so if being close to the amenities is important to you, I would definitely go with the preferred. Preferred is close to everything AND they are just finishing up refurbishments in this section, and the rooms look lovely! Nice and fresh as well :)

Good luck!
Tara

If you look at a map of POR, Parterre Place and Oak Manor are two buildings that are a little bit off from the main areas of the resort, like the pool and food court
I have to disagree https://www.bing.com/images/search?...ndex=0&ajaxhist=0&vt=4&eim=8,3,4,2,1,6&sim=11
That narrow line over the river between these two buildings is the single bridge guests need to cross to get to the lobby/food court/restaurant/Yehaa Bob... From Acadia and Magnolia, you have to First cross a bridge to Old Man Island, then another bridge to the main building.
Magnolia Manor and Acadia are fairly well located, near the second bus stop and are lower priced. RR have extra theming.
Yep. Royal Rooms cost more specifically because of the extra theming.

We have stayed in a Royal Room and loved every minute of it! We never had a problem with the buses. We only used the bus depot at the main building for our entire trip. We have stayed numerous times in AB (not preferred) and we needed a change from that area. I just loved all the details of the room, and I would totally choose those rooms over AB if the price wasn't too much more!

I have to disagree https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=3+X9E8vk&id=7E9CF29214B32AF07FD7672242679544A664B515&thid=OIP.3-X9E8vkngT42Fp4xzJY9gHaHa&mediaurl=https://i0.wp.com/*******************.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Port-Orleans-Riv-Map-Clean.gif&exph=600&expw=600&q=port+orleans+map&simid=608051665866132635&selectedindex=0&ajaxhist=0&vt=4&eim=8,3,4,2,1,6&sim=11
That narrow line over the river between these two buildings is the single bridge guests need to cross to get to the lobby/food court/restaurant/Yehaa Bob... From Acadia and Magnolia, you have to First cross a bridge to Old Man Island, then another bridge to the main building.

Yep. Royal Rooms cost more specifically because of the extra theming.
Exactly, having stayed in Oak it was a VERY short walk to the main lobby over that first bridge. And the East Bus stop was perfect. We always got a seat on the buses.
Also an easy walk to FQ. In case you wanted to use that bus for some reason, or just go over there.
And close walk to the boat dock at Riverside too.
The pool may not be the closest but it wasn't a hike or anything.

I understand that. I just find it odd they placed the royal rooms at the end of the bus route. I think Royal, I think preferred or luxury, which would not be the last stop on the bus loop.

Marketing!
Disney added theming to rooms at all the mods as a way to fill rooms that were in less requested locations, so people would have a reason to request and pay extra for rooms in those locations.

We stayed in the Royal Rooms and we were in the furthest building from the main lobby. Pattere Place but in the furthest most part of it that was closest to the road. If you look at the map someone posted above you can see the little red part that is at the very end, that was us! So to get back to the main lobby and the bus stop was a hike. The East bus stop was probably just as far for us as the main bus stop and we found the main bus stop to be the most effective so we usually went there. It definitely got old after a few days of walking back to our room carrying sleeping kids at night or if we wanted to refill drinks etc. The rooms themselves were lovely, my daughter was 5 at the time and loved it, so many cute details. I probably wouldn't pay the extra to stay in one again but if I did, I would request the Oak building.

Marketing!
Disney added theming to rooms at all the mods as a way to fill rooms that were in less requested locations, so people would have a reason to request and pay extra for rooms in those locations.
Maybe Parterre is but Oak is in no way a less requested or undesirable location. Quite honestly, having done both AB and Royal, it's hard to beat Oak in terms of location. It's closer to both the boats, a bus stop and the RAC counter.

We’ve stayed in non preferred AB, RR and PR. IMO our favorite room as far as location/proximity to the lobby was our RR in building 90 oak manor riverfront. It’s silly that we paid more for riverfront but I knew it meant a shorter walk to the lobby. Since there’s no balcony I always feel like paying for a view in a mod room is a waste. But this room was not my favorite in terms of the bus stop at the east depot. The walk was a little long and for us, if I had to pick one I would rather have a long walk to the lobby than the bus. I also find being the second to last stop at POR a gamble on bus fullness. Our favorite room for bus location was our regular AB room. We were close to the west depot but a 5 min walk to the lobby. As our kids get older walking isn’t a big deal and no one location is a deal breaker for us. Bottom line if our kids were still little or someone had a mobility issue I’d book preferred. But overall as long as the weather holds the walk is never that bad for us. Or better yet I’d just book POFQ and enjoy the smaller size resort.

Exactly, having stayed in Oak it was a VERY short walk to the main lobby over that first bridge. And the East Bus stop was perfect. We always got a seat on the buses.
Also an easy walk to FQ. In case you wanted to use that bus for some reason, or just go over there.
And close walk to the boat dock at Riverside too.
The pool may not be the closest but it wasn't a hike or anything.

We were in Oak, too, when we had a Royal Room and thought the location was great. Very easy walk to the main building.

Personally, I think that Disney decided to pick rooms that were less popular at POR and CBR and added theming in an effort to make them more desirable...

Bingo! And not only are they filling the rooms...people are paying more for them. Genius!

I think it truly comes down to your preference with the theme. Our very first trip ever was in a RR standard view. We were literally as far as you could be from everything, and still be at POR. We were on the back side in Parterre near the end facing the parking lot. It took forever to get anywhere. If we'd had a car it would have been better. Next time we went I booked PR which I knew would be AB, and while it was much closer to everything the theme is just not my style. Should we stay there again I would book a RR with a pool or river view to assure we're closer to the bridge/bus, etc. I love the mansion section.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter