Popeye's chicken sandwich, what the deal?

Breezy_Carol

Who needs doors when you can use windows
I saw there was an old thread about this but didn't want to resurrect. I just went by our local Popeye's (small town) at 11 this morning. There was a long line at the drive in and another at the front door. It is usually empty. What is the hype all about?

And elsewhere in the state, a person was murdered for cutting in line for a sandwich. Seriously?

Popeye's stabbing

It's good. The only thing is that nothing could ever really live up to the hype unless it's a 3-star Michelin restaurant.

I went through the first 4 pages of that and it was all CFA.

Oh well. Sorry I wasted peoples time.

Don't worry about it. It was all the OT stuff that got it closed.

I decided to go there for lunch. I just got the sandwich itself. I was originally ordering the combo (w/ drink and fries) but somehow that was rung up as a combo for $5.99 and 8 extra BBQ sauce packets for $2.00. I was also told that the side was limited to Cajun fries. The cashier said the complete combo was now $7.99 which seemed kind of odd so I didn't get it. I'm looking at the Popeye's app for online ordering at the same location, and for $5.99 it's supposed to come with a small drink and one side. It's kind of odd with the app too, as it doesn't seem to have mac & cheese as an available side.

Yeah this was kind of odd and I'm not sure what was going on. I guess I could have asked to speak to the manager, but with a line behind me and just one cashier I wasn't going to do it. That being said, it only took about 3 minutes and maybe 7 minutes in line. There wasn't a line out the door, although the drive-through seemed to be 5 cars deep.

On the note of chicken, I finally tried Chic-fil-A. My daughter wanted Chic-fil-A, closest one is 35 miles in the mall. So we went to the mall. I really wanted to try it, but I kept looking over at Five Guys. It was difficult but I broke down and got a chicken sandwich.

Ah, that's it? Just a chicken sandwich? Everyone goes nuts over Chic-fil-A because of this? Sure it was good, but it's just a fast food chicken sandwich.

At least now, next time at the mall I don't have to ponder. Chic-fil-A and Five Guys right next to each other, no pondering needed. You girls can have your chicken.

Chic-fil-A and Five Guys right next to each other, no pondering needed.
I agree. CFA sandwich is good, but any chicken sandwich is a distant 3rd or 4th choice if there's a burger option. Or really just about any other sandwich. And those waffle fries? Yeah they're good while they're hot, which is less than two minutes. When they start cooling off they are essentially flavorless.

Closed threads on the dis, people getting killed for cutting in line. I had no idea fast food chicken sandwiches were taken so seriously. I think I better just stick to hamburgers.

Closed threads on the dis, people getting killed for cutting in line. I had no idea fast food chicken sandwiches were taken so seriously. I think I better just stick to hamburgers.
Most people get along just fine. But when there are lines it goes crazy. I mean - haven't people been assaulted for cutting in line on Black Friday?

I agree. CFA sandwich is good, but any chicken sandwich is a distant 3rd or 4th choice if there's a burger option. Or really just about any other sandwich. And those waffle fries? Yeah they're good while they're hot, which is less than two minutes. When they start cooling off they are essentially flavorless.
Certainly a fast food burger can be good, but not mind blowing. If I'm spending upwards of $10 on a burger, fries, and a beverage, I'd rather spend $10 on a sit down restaurant burger. Chili's 3 for $10 special is a better deal than any fast food place.

Just don't ask for a boy's or girl's toy with your happy meal.

Most people get along just fine. But when there are lines it goes crazy. I mean - haven't people been assaulted for cutting in line on Black Friday?
I usually read more about people being trampled in a stampede than line cutting fights.

I've been to Popeye's exactly one time. Got chicken tenders or fingers or whatever, I don't remember. They were dry as a bone. Place was empty and dirty. Was not a fan.

One of our anchors waited for an hour in line for one last night. He was not happy. Waiting in line for an hour when you are hungry is not fun.

I used to live in GA and tried Chik-fil-a for the first time and thought their sandwiches were great. I then moved away to a place that didn't have any CFA locations, so went without for years. One day, I was traveling through OH and came across a CFA and even took my son there and was excited to have it for the first time in forever and was weirdly disappointed - it just didn't taste the same to me - still good but not anything I would pine for. Maybe it was an off day for them, but I had tried them again on another occasion and was still disappointed. My son said to me, "mom, it tastes like a chicken sandwich."

Still, looking forward to trying the Popeyes version!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter