Pop Century Room Renovations

I have no experience with a full Murphy bed. Is the width less than a double? Are they uncomfortable?

Technically there are no doubles, just fulls ... queen, king and twin. But many folks call a full bed ... double.

Now regarding a murphy bed vs a regular bed, they can be very comfortable it just depends on the mattress they put on them. I agree they are better than sofabeds because there is usually no heavy bars involved.

Last edited:
The mattress sizes are the same as real beds and I will say they are much better then the pull-outs that WDW has. My back will pick a murphy over a pull-out every time. I know I should not say "never" and should give it another shot but the 1 time I had to sleep on one it was not very comfortable. But I guess if you get a brand new mattress that should definitely help.

A full has often been referred to as a double,
There is King, Queen, Full and Twin.

Technically there are no doubles, just fulls ... queen, king and twin. But many folks call a full bed ... double.

Now regarding a murphy bed vs a regular bed, they can be very comfortable it just depends on the mattress they put on them. I agree they are better than sofabeds because there is usually no heavy bars involved.

Thanks for the responses. I didn't even think about the comfort of a Murphy bed, cause I was so hung up on size. I can usually sleep on just about anything, as long as I have the right pillow.

I am late to this thread & sadly the pictures are missing from the Everything Pop thread now.

Can someone clarify for me - what the layout in the new rooms will be? We stayed at Pop last February and absolutely LOVED IT - was planning to go back in February of 2018.

Last trip husband took 1 bed and I took the other - we put our son on a cot between the 2 beds and it worked out perfect for all.

Do you lose the table when you open the murphy bed?? I sure hope not. That would be a big minus, I sit at the table at night when our DDs are asleep and either do some work:( or go over our park plans for the next day. Also, that would mean we would have to close the bed to eat at the table.

A full has often been referred to as a double,
There is King, Queen, Full and Twin.

Disney refers to these beds as doubles also.MDE room description.png

How difficult is it to pull a murphy bed out and back in? I don't want to hurt my back during vacation.

Disney refers to these beds as doubles also.View attachment 217493

They are still technically full beds.

And honestly a queen and king are both doubles, meaning they sleep 2. :rolleyes:

It may be they do that for international guests since bedding around the world is not the same as here.

Do you lose the table when you open the murphy bed?? I sure hope not. That would be a big minus, I sit at the table at night when our DDs are asleep and either do some work:( or go over our park plans for the next day. Also, that would mean we would have to close the bed to eat at the table.

I would assume. You lose the table in the AoA suites when the bed is pulled out. It collapses and the POP photos look the same style. And I completely agree with you as I am often working at the table on my computer after DS goes to bed. I would hate to give him the bed and me sleep on the murphy. This room design could stop me from staying at POP if this is the only option they will offer.

Last edited:
Do we know what building they will be starting with?
I have a reservation starting April 28, 2017 and when I was speaking to a cast member about our reservation, she said that the reno will start in the preferred room sections in Mid February-ish. My concern was that since we have a preferred room, that possibly it wouldn't be available during our scheduled stay, but she reassured me that a preferred renovated room would be available.

I am sure if the renovations start on time that some rooms would be completed by the end of July but if having a double bed is a 'deal breaker' I would not count on getting one of the renovated rooms. The number of rooms completed by that time will be quite small compared to the number of rooms the resort contains so there is no guarantee that a renovated room will be available. I have a feeling they'll be a hot commodity when they're first completed! I know we're hoping to get one in September.

The room description on the Disney site states '2 Double Beds'. If/until they change that I would not count on getting a room with a Queen sized bed.

I stayed during an earlier renovation and was not inconvenienced. Got older room, but I only sleep in them so was ok for me.

Room renovations started today in the 80's section!

Looking at the work orders there are a few things that I believe are happening and some I have questions about:
- 'install telescoping BR door and GR barn door'. Sounds like the curtain by the sink area is being replaced with a sliding barn door and possibly the bathroom door is being changed to a pocket door? (That second part is just my interpretation of 'install telescoping BR door.') (Day 14)

- Showers may now have glass doors (Day 15)

- Install 'beverage station' (Day 16) I sure hope this 'beverage station' is a coffee maker!!

- 'Install Inova bed' (Day 17) the Murphy bed has been confirmed

Something I would personally like to see but is not mentioned specifically is more USB charging locations. I'm pretty sure they will be there though as they are pretty standard these days.

Appears that the reno schedule for each group of rooms is 20 days. Not too sure how many rooms they are doing at a time.

I'm excited to see the first completed rooms and an hoping we can stay in one during our September visit.

There are pics from day one here.

Last edited:
Hopefully the refurb doesn't make it to the preferred rooms by September. I booked a room for 2 beds and a table for use at all times. If they change this I will be making other arrangements

There are preferred rooms in many different buildings @ellbell. As the refurbishment is supposed to take until May 2018 I am sure they will be some preferred rooms with the current configuration remaining in September of this year. My guess is that they'll work from the 80's section around, ending with the 50's so you'll probably be fine if you request 50's or possibly 60's section in September.

Based on the construction photos I saw in the post above it's going to be easy to track what rooms are being worked on as it's obvious outside the rooms. Hopefully that will be helpful to you when requesting an area when you go.

I'm looking forward to seeing a completed room to see what other 'flat surfaces' will be available to replace the table space when the murphy bed is down. That being said, it's not helpful to those who prefer to have a table available to eat at at all times which is reality for many families. Not a lot of fun having to fold up the bed in the morning in order to eat breakfast.

There are preferred rooms in many different buildings @ellbell. As the refurbishment is supposed to take until May 2018 I am sure they will be some preferred rooms with the current configuration remaining in September of this year. My guess is that they'll work from the 80's section around, ending with the 50's so you'll probably be fine if you request 50's or possibly 60's section in September.

Based on the construction photos I saw in the post above it's going to be easy to track what rooms are being worked on as it's obvious outside the rooms. Hopefully that will be helpful to you when requesting an area when you go.

I'm looking forward to seeing a completed room to see what other 'flat surfaces' will be available to replace the table space when the murphy bed is down. That being said, it's not helpful to those who prefer to have a table available to eat at at all times which is reality for many families. Not a lot of fun having to fold up the bed in the morning in order to eat breakfast.

This got me thinking .... so I have to fold the bed away for us to eat breakfast since we do eat in the room. Then unless I make the effort to move the chairs and unfold the bed again .... mousekeeping may assume we didn't use the bed (since there is just two of us, but myself and adult DS) and therefore not make up the bed etc. So now I am doing lots of extra physical work in the mornings for us to get out the door. :(

This got me thinking .... so I have to fold the bed away for us to eat breakfast since we do eat in the room. Then unless I make the effort to move the chairs and unfold the bed again .... mousekeeping may assume we didn't use the bed (since there is just two of us, but myself and adult DS) and therefore not make up the bed etc. So now I am doing lots of extra physical work in the mornings for us to get out the door. :(
Murphy's Law for the Murphy Bed!lol:)

Right now they are working on rooms in building 8 and rooms from 25 to 48. Looks like construction is using one of the elevators. Guests might be able to use it in the evenings

I like the idea of the murphy beds for couples but a lot of people don't want that set up. I just wish it was an option. I booked in June for my friend and I before the refurb was announced because I had done a lot of research and felt this was the best resort for us and now I may have to reevaluate based on what will be available when we go. I'm hoping for the best but we booked here based on affordability and it felt slighty upgraded from an all stars resort. Now we lose the table to have 2 beds.

The Murphy beds at AoA are very easy to fold down and back up. I have back issues and didn't have any problems opening and closing the bed. I also felt the Murphy bed was more comfortable than the standard bed at AoA. I am really hoping to get a refurbished room at Pop for my stay in September.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter