Pop Century Room Renovations

If renovations start in February as expected, does anyone know from past renovations how long they usually take to complete? I really would like to stay there the end of July but double beds are too small.

I am sure if the renovations start on time that some rooms would be completed by the end of July but if having a double bed is a 'deal breaker' I would not count on getting one of the renovated rooms. The number of rooms completed by that time will be quite small compared to the number of rooms the resort contains so there is no guarantee that a renovated room will be available. I have a feeling they'll be a hot commodity when they're first completed! I know we're hoping to get one in September.

The room description on the Disney site states '2 Double Beds'. If/until they change that I would not count on getting a room with a Queen sized bed.

Last edited:
I do have reservations at CBR and CR. I was just trying to extend the budget so I could add more nights to the CR reservation. I guess I will just keep a close eye on renovation progress and I hopefully make a change at a later date.

I'm not looking forward to the renovation. My best friend and I are going in September for a girls only trip and are booked at pop. We would both like our own bed without one of us having to sacrifice by sleeping on a murphy bed. We chose Pop because it is affordable for us and doesn't share bus service like the All Star resorts. I'm very disappointed Disney decided to go this route. If anything not all the rooms should be converted to this layout

If renovations start in February as expected, does anyone know from past renovations how long they usually take to complete? I really would like to stay there the end of July but double beds are too small.

The Notice of Commencement has a finish/pay deadline of April 2018.

Seems fast to me for all that appears in those pictures.

BUT then we really don't know if what they end up doing will be what is in the pictures floating about. They may have made changes.

I am sure if the renovations start on time that some rooms would be completed by the end of July but if having a double bed is a 'deal breaker' I would not count on getting one of the renovated rooms. The number of rooms completed by that time will be quite small compared to the number of rooms the resort contains so there is no guarantee that a renovated room will be available. I have a feeling they'll be a hot commodity when they're first completed! I know we're hoping to get one in September.

The room description on the Disney site states '2 Double Beds'. If/until they change that I would not count on getting a room with a Queen sized bed.

YUP^

The website will not change until the whole project is done and there is no chance of you getting an old room. They will maintain the option to put someone in older rooms until they are gone. AND we don't know what kinds of beds will go in there until they are actually renovating. Test rooms are tests.

If double is a problem, then I would book a moderate. July would only be approx 1/3 of the rooms IF they start on time. Disney has consistently started renos late.

How does a full Murphy compare to a double? Does anyone know? I've been looking into it, but I'm getting conflicting info.

Well I just stayed in a Lion King room at AoA this past week. There were 3 adults so we rotated & tried all 3 beds. The queen bed & the full Murphy/table bed felt the same, firm but not uncomfortably so. (The sofa bed OTOH was an uncomfortable rock. A very thin memory-foam type mattress. While the table had a normal mattress.) So if Disney stays with the same mattresses, from AoA across the lake to Pop, the only difference will be how wide the bed is.

Well I just stayed in a Lion King room at AoA this past week. There were 3 adults so we rotated & tried all 3 beds. The queen bed & the full Murphy/table bed felt the same, firm but not uncomfortably so. (The sofa bed OTOH was an uncomfortable rock. A very thin memory-foam type mattress. While the table had a normal mattress.) So if Disney stays with the same mattresses, from AoA across the lake to Pop, the only difference will be how wide the bed is.

That's good to hear. I've heard many report that the murphy table bed at AOA is comfortable and not the same as a pull out sofa bed.

Thanks for the reply! So the Murphy bed was comfortable, but not as wide as the queen? Is it as wide as a double?

I'm not looking forward to the renovation. My best friend and I are going in September for a girls only trip and are booked at pop. We would both like our own bed without one of us having to sacrifice by sleeping on a murphy bed. We chose Pop because it is affordable for us and doesn't share bus service like the All Star resorts. I'm very disappointed Disney decided to go this route. If anything not all the rooms should be converted to this layout
I agree! We are currently planning a trip for April 2018 and I am pretty upset with this layout. I want two real beds! I don't like the layout of AoA and that is why I choose not to stay there. I don't care for the moderate resorts and the deluxe resorts are too expensive for our taste.

I agree! We are currently planning a trip for April 2018 and I am pretty upset with this layout. I want two real beds! I don't like the layout of AoA and that is why I choose not to stay there. I don't care for the moderate resorts and the deluxe resorts are too expensive for our taste.

Have you considered the All Star resorts? Their rooms are the same as the current Pop rooms if the renovated rooms no longer work for you.

Have you considered the All Star resorts? Their rooms are the same as the current Pop rooms if the renovated rooms no longer work for you.
I haven't stayed in All Star resorts in the last 15ish years. We may have to make the move if the refurbed Pop rooms don't change much from the mock up. I don't love that All Star resorts share buses and I'm looking into the moderate resorts. I love Pop and I'm hoping that they won't be as bad as I'm thinking.

I sure hope they do not do this to the all-stars, because we will no longer be staying at POP again. No way do we want a room without 2 real beds:sad2:

I sure hope they do not do this to the all-stars, because we will no longer be staying at POP again. No way do we want a room without 2 real beds:sad2:
I have no experience with a full Murphy bed. Is the width less than a double? Are they uncomfortable?

I have no experience with a full Murphy bed. Is the width less than a double? Are they uncomfortable?

The mattress sizes are the same as real beds and I will say they are much better then the pull-outs that WDW has. My back will pick a murphy over a pull-out every time. I know I should not say "never" and should give it another shot but the 1 time I had to sleep on one it was not very comfortable. But I guess if you get a brand new mattress that should definitely help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter