Pop Century Room Renovations

Hi everyone,

I'm staying at Pop in a few weeks, in a preferred room. I requested 60's when I did online check in, but I'm wondering if I should change it to 50's? I don't want to be anywhere near construction lol. And I know there's no guarantee I'll get in the section I request, I just want to try to get as far away from the noise as possible!!

Hi everyone,

I'm staying at Pop in a few weeks, in a preferred room. I requested 60's when I did online check in, but I'm wondering if I should change it to 50's? I don't want to be anywhere near construction lol. And I know there's no guarantee I'll get in the section I request, I just want to try to get as far away from the noise as possible!!

Since they're working on building 8 (and it sounds like they're going to be there for a while), I would think the '60s would be well away from the construction for quite a while yet. Probably anything Preferred is still fine for now.

Agree with scrappingontario, your chances of being located near construction is fairly low. They are working on one wing of a building at a time and the POP has 10 buildings, so you have slightly less than a 10% chance of being located in the building were construction is occurring.

I do understand your concern though. This will be our first trip to the POP and first trip where we don't have to worry about little ones napping. My bigger concern is construction interfering with my afternoon nap:rotfl2:

They are currently working on two wings, all four floors of one building. There are guests in other wing and in the next building that is very close to a construction wing.

It was pretty noisy. I taped some but not sure how to post.

So all rooms will have the murphy bed? Or are there going to be some rooms similar to AOA Little Mermaid where there is two beds? I love POP but if there is only one queen bed and a murphy bed we won't be able to stay there with our older kids the murphy bed will be to uncomfortable. I hope that they take into account families with older kids.

That is what he, a "project manager" at the site said. Handicapped rooms are a different set up and his plans now are ALL other rooms will be one bed and one Murphy.

Sorry I did not get back there today to ask about other door. Leaving early in AM.

Hopefully once they begin to install furniture someone will get some shots and answers.

Agree with scrappingontario, your chances of being located near construction is fairly low. They are working on one wing of a building at a time and the POP has 10 buildings, so you have slightly less than a 10% chance of being located in the building were construction is occurring.

I do understand your concern though. This will be our first trip to the POP and first trip where we don't have to worry about little ones napping. My bigger concern is construction interfering with my afternoon nap:rotfl2:
Well to be honest I'm also worried about getting me a nap too. :)

Last edited:
Fantastic research @HopperFan - now go enjoy your vacation!

I wonder if they stuck with the "hardwood" floors showing in the photos. Makes the most sense for keeping clean but it does seem a little "cold".

I'll know first hand in November I suppose.

Who is next in the On Site Research line? :D

Fantastic research @HopperFan - now go enjoy your vacation!

I wonder if they stuck with the "hardwood" floors showing in the photos. Makes the most sense for keeping clean but it does seem a little "cold".

I'll know first hand in November I suppose.

Who is next in the On Site Research line? :D

The picture I saw on another board of a room in progress definitely had the "hardwood" floor. And someone (again, on a different board) mentioned that they walked past a room and while the floor was covered with plastic, it looked like "hardwood" under the plastic. The pictures of the refurbished rooms at Yacht Club show "hardwood" floors so I suspect they're switching to those resort-wide as refurbishments are happening.

The picture I saw on another board of a room in progress definitely had the "hardwood" floor. And someone (again, on a different board) mentioned that they walked past a room and while the floor was covered with plastic, it looked like "hardwood" under the plastic. The pictures of the refurbished rooms at Yacht Club show "hardwood" floors so I suspect they're switching to those resort-wide as refurbishments are happening.

I think many hotels are going the vinyl floor route. The rooms I saw the floors were covered with a dark gray cover that actually came over threshold, and you couldn't see through it.

I'm staying at Pop for 4 nights for the DIS 20th event. I've requested a room in the 90s section. Since I'm traveling solo, and have a pretty full schedule planned I'm not as worried about being close to the construction. I know it's still a long shot to get one of the updated rooms but if I get one I will be sure to post lots of pictures.

Is there a tentative completion date? Possibly done by July or August? TY

Thanks for the update @HopperFan Looks like they will still be pretty far away from the 60s section in June. I do hope to come back for a break most days. 74 days!

If you don't think they will be comfortable sharing a full-size bed (which, as others have said, is the size of the murphy/innova bed in the renovated Pop rooms -- it's the same size as the beds that are currently in the rooms) you can always take an air mattress (or have one shipped to the room before you arrive). Our Walmart currently has a basic twin size air mattress for $7. While we haven't seen a completed room yet, I'm guessing there will be space somewhere on the floor for a twin mattress at night.

And I agree with the others who have said that of the 3 beds in the AoA suites, the muphy bed is the most comfortable -- and is very comfortable even when not comparing it to the other beds in the room. It's a standard size 8" thick mattress. The sofa bed was the least comfortable of the 3 but I've slept on much worse. My teen/adult kids who have slept on the sofa bed haven't complained about it (but were pretty vocal about the sofa bed being very uncomfortable in the hotels we stayed at on the drive down and home). And the queen bed is ungodly firm (IMO) and uncomfortable. I was sore and bruised from sleeping on it just one night. Now the first thing I do when we walk in to our suite at AoA is to call Mousekeeping and request extra blankets so I can make a mattress topper for the queen bed. On one of our trips our Mousekeeper noticed what I had done and actually remade the bed to put the blankets under the sheet. I'm hoping they don't use those same mattresses at Pop Century.
I don't think there will be room for an air mattress if the murphy bed is down. Looks like Pop is out for us after the reno.

I don't think there will be room for an air mattress if the murphy bed is down. Looks like Pop is out for us after the reno.

With the bed down, you now have less room on bed side because they have added a queen.

On the other side if that "coffee" center is added that will not move so possibly there will only be two smaller gaps, one where the chair is sitting in pics and one on other side of the presumed dresser.

I would say overall with murphy bed down the room will have much less floor space.

So here is the photo showing up on another site of a room. It shows the "wood" - assume vinyl - flooring, the bed headboard installed on the wall (the walls I saw only major wiring coming out), the header dropped at top of bath area door, the track for the sliding door system, looks like a bracket above headboard which I guess is for the art/light in photos and power in headboard looks like what will be needed in the night stand portion.

Photo Credit MaxsDad on WDWMagic
POP.jpeg

I am super sad about the hardwood/vinyl. I may have to bring my own rug!! I hate putting my feet on a cold floor in the morning. I'm sure it will be much easier to clean. I think industrial carpet squares would have been a better choice. If one get dirty or stained, you just pull it up and replace it. I am looking forward to the murphy bed. When we stayed at Fort Wilderness a few years ago we all thought the murphy bed was very comfortable.

I am super sad about the hardwood/vinyl. I may have to bring my own rug!! I hate putting my feet on a cold floor in the morning. I'm sure it will be much easier to clean. I think industrial carpet squares would have been a better choice. If one get dirty or stained, you just pull it up and replace it. I am looking forward to the murphy bed. When we stayed at Fort Wilderness a few years ago we all thought the murphy bed was very comfortable.
Also, it is going to make for much noisier neighbours. Shoes clacking around on uncarpeted floors overhead and next door will not be fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter