Pool side manners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have such mixed feeling about this. I love that service dogs are available to people who need them. I have allergies, but I take a Zyrtec every day on vacation and carry Benedryl just in case. Service dogs are a blessing to people who need them and I would never want them denied that.

What I do have an issue with is people who take their "comfort dogs" with them just because they cannot be denied. In some cases (true mental health concerns, Autism, sensory disorders, etc) it makes sense. I do feel a lot of people take advantage, simply by looking at how they treat their "beloved comfort animal".

It is not possible for Disney to please everybody. SWA pulled peanuts from their plane for a small minority. How would Disney be able to satisfy allergies over a medical need?

Not sure what the real intent of the post was... but I do vacation with my dogs! I bring them to most places with us when we travel in our motorhome. That was one of the positives of buying an RV! But at Disney, in a hotel room, we leave the pups at home. We haven't even taken our RV to Disney yet. We would want to take the dogs, and we are just at the parks too long for it to be fun for them. Better to leave them at home with the sitter in that case!

Service animals are allowed at any Disney resort - and I am pretty sure all hotels are required to accept them because of ADA.
True but I believe when PP said "allows pets" that means pets, not service dogs. Allowing pets and allowing service dogs are not the same thing. One can allow service dogs but not allow pets. Sort of 2 different animals, even if most owners of a service dog may think of their dog as a pet.

True but I believe when PP said "allows pets" that means pets, not service dogs. Allowing pets and allowing service dogs are not the same thing. One can allow service dogs but not allow pets. Sort of 2 different animals, even if most owners of a service dog may think of their dog as a pet.

Yes, but unless you see the animal in question you have no idea if it is a pet or service animal. And both can leave fur behind. I think that was more the point.

Our dog doesn’t shed but the older I get, the more I do! My blond hairs are everywhere and it seems my husband is the one that finds them in his food! 😜🤣

i think the situation op is speaking about is merely just negligence of a guest with a service dog. despite this, you should not group all service dog owners as negligent and people who just leave their canine's hair around.

We have 3 corgis, one is a fluffy so his fur is longer & “fluffed out”. Corgis.shed.everywhere.
We are diligent about cleaning, vacuuming the house & our vehicles.
They are always with us, but not on a resort type vacation or Disney.
We take them to a cabin every fall for “their” vacation. They get to hike, run & be doted on.

i think the situation op is speaking about is merely just negligence of a guest with a service dog. despite this, you should not group all service dog owners as negligent and people who just leave their canine's hair around.
Recently I thought I had read somewhere that service dog owners are not required to “pick up” after their dog.
Does anyone know if that is true?
It would kind of make sense depending on what challenges & limitations the owner has.

Recently I thought I had read somewhere that service dog owners are not required to “pick up” after their dog.
Does anyone know if that is true?
It would kind of make sense depending on what challenges & limitations the owner has.

At WDW? Not true. From their website;
Service animals are welcome to use any open outdoor area for relief as long as the owner picks up after the animal and leaves the area clean.

Though I don’t know exactly what PP means by “negligence of a guest with a service dog” as any number of people have posted here about dog hair on their clothes, etc. We do not have a dog or cat, but I have found dog hair that hitched a ride to my house from my sister’s dog, 4 hours away.

Enjoy your vacation!

At WDW? Not true. From their website;
Service animals are welcome to use any open outdoor area for relief as long as the owner picks up after the animal and leaves the area clean.

Though I don’t know exactly what PP means by “negligence of a guest with a service dog” as any number of people have posted here about dog hair on their clothes, etc. We do not have a dog or cat, but I have found dog hair that hitched a ride to my house from my sister’s dog, 4 hours away.

Enjoy your vacation!
I am curious what happens if the owner of the service dog is physically unable to pick up after their dog?

If they are incapable of properly taking care of the animal’s basic needs, they likely have a human traveling companion. I suppose if they didn’t clean up after it, they could be asked to remove the animal, though that is an extreme response and probably not likely.

One can be allergic to animal hair, animal dander, or animal saliva, or any combination of the three. When you are allergy tested (I recently went through this myself), they test for all three components for dogs and cats. I am allergic to hair and dander for both, but not saliva. Allergies are to proteins, and there are different protein types that are present in hair, dander, and saliva.

This is why there is really no such thing as a "non allergenic" dog or cat. Even breeds that don't shed have dander and saliva.

YES to this! I grew up with a dog, but sadly I'm now allergic. My BIL and SIL have a "hypoallergenic" dog (a Golden Doodle) and they're always insisting I can't be allergic and I have to keep explaining to them that it's the dander, not the hair! And yes, I've had reactions from their dog! And I'm definitely allergic to the saliva because I will break out in hives if a dog licks me. It makes me sad because I used to love petting dogs but now I really just try to stay clear of them.

We have three German Shepard's and two cats. Animal fur is a part of life, just like vacuuming daily. Only once did any vacation with us. Nine years ago we camped for three weeks at Fort Wilderness and we brought our German Shepard and St. Bernard (we had a travel trailer) with us. But they never left the campsite except for walks, and we cleaned up after them. I'd never do it again though.

Yes, there are responsible pet owners, but unfortunately not all are.

I am curious what happens if the owner of the service dog is physically unable to pick up after their dog?
If they are incapable of properly taking care of the animal’s basic needs, they likely have a human traveling companion. I suppose if they didn’t clean up after it, they could be asked to remove the animal, though that is an extreme response and probably not likely.
This was my thought. Is someone was so disabled that they couldn't pick up after their dog then I can't imagine they are able to travel alone. I mean, how would they even get TO Disney alone, with their dog, if they couldn't even move enough to use a pooper scooper? It doesn't take standing up and/or bending down to scoop. It's possible to scoop seated from a wheelchair.

I am curious, which WDW resorts allow dogs? I like dogs, but really don't want to see them on vacation. I sold the camper and gave up on campgrounds because I always seemed to be surrounded by people who could not keep their dogs from barking all night.

I am curious, which WDW resorts allow dogs? I like dogs, but really don't want to see them on vacation. I sold the camper and gave up on campgrounds because I always seemed to be surrounded by people who could not keep their dogs from barking all night.
There's a sticky about it at the top of this board
https://www.disboards.com/threads/dog-friendly-resorts-faq.3697508/
Though avoiding them won't ensure you never see one. I'm sure you know that.
First, anyone can stay at any resort if they have a service dog (as discussed already) and they'll be out in the parks at times too.
Though we have stayed at Dog Friendly resorts several times and never seen one in our resort. Only time we have was before the program started and it was a service dog.

Reactions: erc
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts