Polynesian Resort ... how does it compare

imwithgoofy

Mouseketeer
I was wondering how does the Polynesian Resort compare to the Royal Pacific Resort?

When we go to wdw I thought about staying at Poly and then when we get to the other place try the RPR.

Are they similar in any way? Should we book something different at wdw since they have so many more choices?

We have list of places to try at Disneyworld and we can pick something else

(like the Swan and Dolphin, Beach Club or Caribbean Resort) for this trip, if

these resorts are somewhat alike.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't stayed at RPR, but the Poly is our favorite and I would think it copied from the Poly. Advantages: monorail, view, pool with water slide, most or all of it newly renovated with plasma TVs built in to each room, and the rooms are larger than the rooms in most other Disney resorts. The atmosphere is wonderfully relaxing and the cast is very nice. They supposedly have the least amount of cast turnover, we've met nice people working there for 25 years! Many think of the Poly as old but it has been redone so recently that we never think of it as old; marble baths, new furniture, etc.

Poly vs other Disney resorts: Beach Club has the best pool - with Stormalong Bay as well as the sandy pool area for kids to play. Beach is closest to Epcot, and a boat ride to MGM. Rooms still very nice. Poly has 24 hour on property restaurant, but Beach has 24 hour room service. Beach has spa and fitness center. Beach is connected to Yacht Club so there are several good restaurants available. Beach does not have direct access to Magic Kingdom, bus or your own car are best bets. Beach and Poly both need bus or car for Animal Kingdom. Swan and Dolphin have more discounts available, but many say the resorts don't feel as nice as the Beach. Swan and Dolphin share the boats with Beach Club, no monorail. Caribbean Beach ideal for families with children, easier on the budget, but no monorail or boat -- bus or drive to all Parks...

the initial feel when you pull up at RPR is very similar to the Poly, but once inside it becomes more "corporate", although the lounge area is vaguely reminiscent of the Tambu Lounge. The pool feels bigger with a water volleyball etc going on. There is at least 1 hot tub (maybe 2) with cabanas available.

We enjoyed our stay at RPR BUT in my opinion the theme does not flow through the resort the same as it does at the Polynesian.

Val
xx

People don't seem to realize that the GF fitness center is complimentary to Poly guests too. There are hot tubs in the locker rooms, as well as steam rooms and saunas. They also have a great facility, matched only by the one at SSR.

The theme of the two hotels is similar. I like the Poly better because of the balconies (most rooms), larger rooms, better restaurants and the monorail. The Luau at the Poly is not as good as the Luau at the Royal Pacific. Also, the pool is bigger with hot tubs at the RP. Still, I prefer the Poly. I will say that if I was staying at the RP for the first part of my stay, I'd go for the CR or GF at WDW instead (just for a change of pace). To tell you the truth, I'd change to the Hard Rock at Universal, and go with the Poly at WDW. I think the Poly has the best transportation of any hotel at WDW, and one of the best themes.

We stayed at RPR 2 weeks after it opened ( scored a $99 rate!) I have to say, it is BEAUTIFUL! The inrtricate wood carvings, open-ness of lobby/orchid garden, very lush. The pool is huge, but no water slide. There is a play area with squirting guns, water buckets etc. for kids to play on. Yes, hot tubs and lots of loungechairs. The one thing I did notice was that there is not a "food court" set up or inexpensive grab/go type place available ( or at least there wasn't when we were there) So sit down meals can get pretty expensive. Also, we dodged it back then, but I beleive there is a daily parking fee. We got to see the plane being put into the bay area when we were there, and you can see the IOA fireworks from the beach area ( just look towards Hulk) Now, we are staying at the Polynesian for our first time next week, and we have been in the lobby several times and have eaten at O'Hanas...so while I can't compare rooms, I can say they are both awesome in lobby areas and details. We had decent customer service at RPR....a glitch or 2, but quickly remedied and to be fair, we expected it since they had JUST opened. DH loves their pool the best of any we've stayed at so far ( Dolphin, WL, CR,CBR,ASMU0 and this trip we are POP/POLY.
I do have to say, since it is considered a "value" at US/IOA///the RPR is by far on deluxe terms. Rooms are a bit dark...wood is dark, but again beautiful. I personally would choose a different resort at WDW if you are set on RPR as your chice at US/IOA....the Contemproray is on the monorail and has HUGE rooms as well and is quite the opposite from both RPR/POLY. We have done a split stay every trip but one ( CBR) to take advantage of experiencing 2 themes. I am a huge fan of the Dolphin also...just love the location and pool/beach. I would not do 2 similar themed resorts, but that is me...look at locations for WDW....If you prefer Epcot location then focus there, if you prefer monorail focus there, or if you prefer colorful look value, and to me, the moderates take you to another "world"...themed after locations.
Have a fun trip, and you gotta love the FOTL access at RPR!

Pam

We have stayed at both. The Poly is our favorite WDW resort.

We loved the RPR too. It feels very much like the Poly. But there are a couple of noticeable differences.

1. While the grounds are beautiful at the RPR, the Poly's are much better. To be fair, the Poly's foliage had an almost 30 head start, so it is naturally more mature. But the Poly's grounds are bigger and feel more authentic.

2. The rooms are much bigger at the Poly. The room at the RPR felt like a nice WDW moderate, not a deluxe. The Poly's rooms are also better appointed.

I would not hesitate to stay at the RPR resort again. But it is not our first choice, even at UO. We like the Portofino better.

Anyway, if you like the RPR, you will love the Poly.

I had not considered a different resort at the other place, so I think we'll

stick with the RPR for our first on site trip...now comes the hard

part...deciding on a resort for WDW.

Thanks for the help everyone...

Any more suggestions keep 'em coming!

imwithgoofy said:
I had not considered a different resort at the other place, so I think we'll

stick with the RPR for our first on site trip...now comes the hard

part...deciding on a resort for WDW.

Thanks for the help everyone...

Any more suggestions keep 'em coming!

I wouldn't change from RPR at all! We stayed there in 2002 for 5 nights and it was wonderful!!! Although we didn't care for the sit down restaurant (pricey for breakfast buffet) I think the hotel is absolutely gorgeous! The walkway from the pool area leads you right to Margaritaville on City Walk (about 5-10 min walk) through lush landscaping. How can you beat that????

The theming is the 1940's South Pacific (I think I have the right era). Big band music is playing poolside. If it weren't for the HULK zooming by every few minutes, you might think you were on some far off island. There was a pool bar although I can't remember for the life of me, if they served any food. I want to say yes, but I'm sure someone can confirm or deny that. Our kids especially liked the outdoor pool table.

We walked to Hard Rock Hotel to use the pool and they had a great waterslide. The pool, however doesn't compare. We did not go to Portofino, but I really can't imagine wanting more than RPR has to offer. In my mind, the fact that UO considers RPR to be a "value" resort is a mind-blowing bonus!!!!! Unless something has drastically changed, you'll love it!!!!!!!!!!

If we could have stayed there and walked or made it to Disney, we would have in a heartbeat!!!

I never stayed at the Poly (always wanted to) but wanted to stay closer to Epcot, since that seemed to be where we ended up most nights. Maybe try something less tropical--so that one doesn't overshadow the other. Maybe WL or AKL??? That way they are completely different.

Enjoy!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter