Poly1 v (?) Poly 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can’t see them keeping Poly 1 stand-alone when it only offers bungalows and studios. You’re adding a new building with tons of room flexibility (presumably). Shutting out current owners from that just seems like a bad move, especially when it’s a huge drawback for Poly 1 and that’s the only resort with that drawback.

I'm with you, Sandi. It makes the new tower unappealing to me even though we wouldn't know what the impact will be. I would just buy PVB resale if they put it in the same association.

Exactly! If someone likes PVB and the studios and doesn’t care about getting the tower, then PvB resale is an awesome choice

But, we don’t like PvB..stayed twice and the set up just isn’t for us. But, Poly tower and it’s location? Worth it to own their for that…but not if I risk the chance of not getting rooms when I want without jumping through hoops.

All my points can book there regardless so I have at least 7 month booking rights. If it is not it’s own resort, then I will buy more RIV and take my chances.

And, that is what DVD is faced with. Do they want it to be exclusive and not bookable by cheaper resale points, or do they decide to abandon the restrictions. .

I just can’t see them keeping Poly 1 stand-alone when it only offers bungalows and studios. You’re adding a new building with tons of room flexibility (presumably). Shutting out current owners from that just seems like a bad move, especially when it’s a huge drawback for Poly 1 and that’s the only resort with that drawback.
I don't tend to think it's a drawback from the DVC perspective. The resort is sold out. There seems to be a belief among some folks here that the resort configuration is flawed and in need of fixing, but why should we assume DVC sees it the same way?

Those points are long sold and everybody who purchased them knew what they were buying. DVD is in the business of selling points.

I don't tend to think it's a drawback from the DVC perspective. The resort is sold out. There seems to be a belief among some folks here that the resort configuration is flawed and in need of fixing, but why should we assume DVC sees it the same way?

I think this is what is hard to understand. From DVDs perspective, their goal is to sell new contracts, and be able to sell them for $$$.

We all get why they had make CCV different from BRV because of expiration, but its shows they are willing to have two DVC resorts at the same location.

They certainly were not worried about the BRV owners who lost out on home resort advantage at CCV.

Not sure why they would be concerned about the PVB owner any more than they were about BRV owners.

It still is clear they don’t want anyone to know because they have been very purposeful in the language and I have a hard time believing they want to abandon the resale restections.

If I was in their shoes..and I am not…it would be a no brainer to make it a new resort and continue having the product evolve into something that offers more to a buyer than a resale contract can offer them.

Last edited:
It ls laughable the people who purchase an inferior good and deluxe themselves into thing it is " exclusive"

Since I used the word, I was referring to DVD wanting it to be exclusive to those who buy from them because those buying resale can’t stay there,

Not clear what inferior product you are referring to so I wont speculate on that.

Since I used the word, I was referring to DVD wanting it to be exclusive to those who buy from them because those buying resale can’t stay there,

Not clear what inferior product you are referring to so I wont speculate on that.
If this happened, they wouldn't stay at the tower, but current owners are still staying at the resort though, and I think that's the main thing people care about. The question of where to stay has been mentioned here many times and most will discuss the pools, restaurants, walking distance, skyliners, monorails, and balcony for the reasons they love the resorts.

I really don't think making it the same association would impact the booking window, and if it did, I think it's much more likely it would impact current poly owners more than new owners.

Historically, the lowest point rooms are the first to go at 11 months for the most part and poly rooms tend to be wide open at this point. That could definitely change if it was the same association. One bedrooms and rooms with higher point views at all resorts tend to hang around longer and I doubt poly will have a different trend there.

Might Chapek have a different perspective on DVC?
Iger approved of VGF2, but sales started under Chapek.

If it’s true that Iger and Chapek do not like each other, he could easily do the same thing he decided to do with VGF2. Make it part of its own association, buy up cheap resale PVB1 and sell at the higher price point. Also, gives Chapek the ability to claim he fixed another Iger mistake.

It will be interesting to see what Chapek decides.

If this happened, they wouldn't stay at the tower, but current owners are still staying at the resort though, and I think that's the main thing people care about. The question of where to stay has been mentioned here many times and most will discuss the pools, restaurants, walking distance, skyliners, monorails, and balcony for the reasons they love the resorts.

I really don't think making it the same association would impact the booking window, and if it did, I think it's much more likely it would impact current poly owners more than new owners.

Historically, the lowest point rooms are the first to go at 11 months for the most part and poly rooms tend to be wide open at this point. That could definitely change if it was the same association. One bedrooms and rooms with higher point views at all resorts tend to hang around longer and I doubt poly will have a different trend there.

Let’s take the larger rooms out of the discussion then. Let’s just talk studios.

If it is the same assocation then more people are competing for the how ever many studios are there.

For those who don’t want to have to stay in the current PVB, it doesn’t make sense to buy into the resort if they are not getting an advantage for the studios in the tower building, if that is why they are buying to begin with.

That was more my point If I get the advantage for any and all of Poly tower rooms it is worth it to buy,

If I am competing for those rooms, including the studios, with all the current PVB owners, then it’s not worth owning there, for me.

That was more my point If I get the advantage for any and all of Poly tower rooms it is worth it to buy,

If I am competing for those rooms, including the studios, with all the current PVB owners, then it’s not worth owning there, for me.
I can follow the logic and understand why you would choose not to buy, I just don't think it would be something anyone would have to consider.

If purchased, you and everyone else would still have a 7-11 month advantage over all other owners that are not poly owners, which is a huge advantage, and why people would buy. I think having that slight advantage over poly1 would be insignificant, since it's likely poly will book the same way all other resorts do with lower point accommodations going first. I guess that is where our opinions differ. Unless the tower has value or club level studios or something.

I can follow the logic and understand why you would choose not to buy, I just don't think it would be something anyone would have to consider.

If purchased, you and everyone else would still have a 7-11 month advantage over all other owners that are not poly owners, which is a huge advantage, and why people would buy. I think having that slight advantage over poly1 would be insignificant, since it's likely poly will book the same way all other resorts do with lower point accommodations going first. I guess that is where our opinions differ. Unless the tower has value or club level studios or something.
I think people who buy into the new resort are going to buy it to use there mostly. There is no way I would buy and want to compete with the millions of points out there already "bizarre, I know" at Polynesian. The new VGF kind of needed to do this IMO, because they needed the different room options that the original Villas offer. Polynesian is the other way around; this will open up something that they never had. I think there will be plenty of current Poly owners who will add on as a new association.

I agree no one knows for sure, but 6 million points (current and new) vs. 2.5 million points (new only) competing for the rooms during home resort booking, is a big deal, at least on paper. And, no one will know the impact until it is all said and done and sold out.

It doesn't take a lot of current PVB owners who decide to use points at Poly tower to potentially shift the balance....even if it is just to stay in the studios there vs. current PVB. PVB charts are not that low. Many may not mind spending a few extra points per night to be in the tower instead, especially given some of the amenities and views that it might offer.

But, as you said, some people won' care and will buy it regardless of whether it is the same association or different.

Now, if I liked the current PVB, it wouldn't matter as much...which is why I risked buying VGF, even though an imbalance could end up happening once all 2 million points are sold. I love VGF and the location of the resort studios...if I can't get rooms in the main VGF building...is something I can live with if I have to occasionally.

Now, DVD isn't going to make a decision to make it new so that they can market it has home resort over PVB...because, most probably won't care....but the new association does force people who want to stay there into buying direct, and not going the cheap resale route to simply buy PVB and get the same benefits for Poly tower that you get buying direct points.

ETA: Or do the whole rent mine and rent someone else’s, pay cash or swap.

Last edited:
I think people who buy into the new resort are going to buy it to use there mostly. There is no way I would buy and want to compete with the millions of points out there already "bizarre, I know" at Polynesian. The new VGF kind of needed to do this IMO, because they needed the different room options that the original Villas offer. Polynesian is the other way around; this will open up something that they never had. I think there will be plenty of current Poly owners who will add on as a new association.
If it's a new association it becomes irrelevant whether the owner adding on is a Poly, SSR, or BLT owner. It would be probably be more useful for an SSR owner to add on than a poly owner since they can't combine their points anyway. I think a poly owner would rather just stay resale in that case - why would someone want to pack up their bags half way through their poly trip to move to poly?

If it's a new association it becomes irrelevant whether the owner adding on is a Poly, SSR, or BLT owner. It would be probably be more useful for an SSR owner to add on than a poly owner since they can't combine their points anyway. I think a poly owner would rather just stay resale in that case - why would someone want to pack up their bags half way through their poly trip to move to poly?

They might not if they don’t have access to it and I don’t think you will see a ton of PVB owners who all of a sudden sell it so they can turn around and buy direct.

But, since Poly studios are readily available most of the time at 7 months it means many owners are choosing to go elsewhere. And some of those owners are leaving for larger rooms.

I know current owners are important for sales but I believe that new buyers into the system are more important to them and have a feeling more direct sales go to new owners vs current…but that is just a guess.

So, IMO, I have a feeling it is those buyers who DVD will target, not current PVB owners.

We have seen posts though on here from buyers considering PVB resale and some could care less if they are shut out if Poly tower but some who do care.

Plenty of posts over the years too if people saying they didn’t buy Poly because it lacked larger rooms or they did but trade out because they need larger rooms but Poly was the resort DVD was selling when they bought.

It is definitely an interesting move to build this here and will be interesting to see what they decide next year!

True, I guess I was thinking if it were me and I already owned at Polynesian, it would be something I would consider. There are different ways to look at it. You could alternate trips between them or sometimes we stay a few nights in a studio then move to a 1br at the same or different resort. It depends on how many points we have at the time. I do think it would be better for current owners if it were the same association, but I don't think it would be good for new owners and I don't see any positives for Disney either. I do believe this will be a really nice resort and will not have any issues selling.

Your using a logical argument against someone who wants to feel " exclusive"

Status
Not open for further replies.

facebook twitter