• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poly vs. Dolphin at great rates - what to choose?

Haven't stayed at the poly, would love to. Just stayed at dolphin in april. Ohhhhhh I LOVE it there. The pool, service, they upgraded us to a great view, walk to epcot, cocktails at Blue Zoo. We are going back in July at the 149 rate, fabulous rate. The beds were so comfy when I got home I went out and bought new bedding and pillows. Fluffy! DH and I just really enjoyed getting a tropical drink and lounging on the white beach, pretended to be on a island, right at disney!
Have a wonderful stay wherever you end up. It's all good down there. :teeth:

First of all thank you to everyone for such thoughtful responses...Here's how our decision played out.

We've stayed at the Dolphin many times in the past due to the terrific teacher discount. We love the proximity to EP & DS and the resorts, especially Boardwalk. The boats are great transportation and we always walk through EP to take the monorail to tMK - we HATE buses! Tubbi's is great and we find the pool area refreshing but a little far from the room (by that we mean that you have to come from whatever wing you're at, take the elevator, and then schlep out to the pool). The lobby is gorgeous but always seems overcrowded in the early evening and that's hard to manage with a stroller and a 4yo. I have nothing but positives about the rooms, especially the heavenly beds and also the rounded shower curtain that gives you a little more elbow room. Upon returning home from our last trip at the Dolphin we bought new king size down pillows, a memory foam bed mattress pad and the rounded shower curtain arm.

This past April we stayed at the Polynesian. This place totally transports you to somewhere else. When you leave the chaos of the theme parks, you enter a peaceful dimension somewhere out of the South Pacific. We were wowed by the grounds, loved the Volcano pool (much smaller and more manageable with the little ones) and the quiet pool. The proximity to transportation options is unmatched anywhere. The restaurants are wonderful and they are ALL family friendly. The rooms are comfortable and large and since there are only 3 floors in a building, we didn't feel like we were in a high rise apartment complex. My biggest complaint was the pillows were not fluffy and down (like the Dolphin's).

Since we're staying at Beach Club Villas at the end of our trip, we decided there were things we still wanted to do at the Poly - some of the activities for kids mid-day, the Luau, picnic on the beach one night and watch fireworks and the Electrical Pageant. So we will stay at the Poly for 4 nights. But have no fear, we'll be back to the Dolphin soon!

Again, thanks everyone!

Keokagal said:
Haven't stayed at the poly, would love to. Just stayed at dolphin in april. Ohhhhhh I LOVE it there. The pool, service, they upgraded us to a great view, walk to epcot, cocktails at Blue Zoo. We are going back in July at the 149 rate, fabulous rate. The beds were so comfy when I got home I went out and bought new bedding and pillows. Fluffy! DH and I just really enjoyed getting a tropical drink and lounging on the white beach, pretended to be on a island, right at disney!
Have a wonderful stay wherever you end up. It's all good down there. :teeth:

I stayed at the Poly and while I did enjoy it I would say go with the Dolphin based on the price difference. The Poly is a great hotel, but it's not worth what they are charging to stay there. When we were there I found the resort to be loud and generally not relaxing. I love the whole EPCOT area. It's peaceful, and the dining options are great.. not to mention you are right near EPCOT and MGM!

Either way i'm sure you'll have a great time!

If your an Epcot fan then the Swan/Dolphin is the place to go because you have soooo many food options because the Boardwalk is also right there and Epcot is just a walk away.

I love the Polly. DH loves the Dolphin.

Pros's -

Poly free refrigerator, zero entry pool, on monorail to MK (and EPCOT),see fireworks from room or beach, day beds in room, Disney soaps, Disney theme,
pool can be crowded

Dolphin - kiddie pool, large grotto pool with waterfall (but no shallow parts - 4 foot min) - pay $15, one time fee to clean out mini-bar. Heavenly beds,
walk to EPCOT & Boardwalk, pool is not usually crowded - especially with a convention going on (they are all in meetings)

Both have refillable mugs

Dolphin - you would have to bring your own Disney theming - bathroom cups, toothpaste, tooth brushes, PJ's, stuffed animals, window clings, gummy snacks, etc.

I would do the budget idea - what is best for you will fit.

We have 2 ressies for 2006 - YC & Dolphin - least expensive with AAA or AP discounts wins.

enjoy!

The Pooh Crew
:thewave:

I stayed at the Swan & Dolphin for a convention one year (activities going on in both places, but a room for me in one, and my business friends in the other resort). I've never had the desire to go back, no offense to those who like the place.

For me, I'd chose the Polynesian Resort -- any of its rooms, over the Dolphin in a heartbeat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter