Poly Villas vs Grand Floridian Villas (Resale)

LOL. Granted, I was the highest guess in the VGF2 pricing thread, but direct DVC doesn't go down. Resale has taken some temporary dips (like summer 2020), but the direction is overall up.

I expect VGF2 to be insanely priced. It's the only foreseeable WDW project, and DVC is in no hurry to have nothing going on. IMO that will be good for the value of my VGF1.
VGF2 will not be insanely priced. Historically, there have been no instances where one new resort has been listed at a massively higher cost than any other. VGF2 is all studios, with no kitchen sink, and a picnic cooler, which will be marketed to value oriented buyers. Disney will have millions of points to sell which will not move if they price themselves out of the market.
They could, however, very well raise the minimum point buy in, which would increase their profit and retain the illusion of value. That’s how they’ll still make a fortune.

VGF2 will not be insanely priced. Historically, there have been no instances where one new resort has been listed at a massively higher cost than any other. VGF2 is all studios, with no kitchen sink, and a picnic cooler, which will be marketed to value oriented buyers. Disney will have millions of points to sell which will not move if they price themselves out of the market.
They could, however, very well raise the minimum point buy in, which would increase their profit and retain the illusion of value. That’s how they’ll still make a fortune.

This is my guess. The raise to 150 has already allowed that against the $255 with the 125 minimum.

Basically, they can sell it for $213/pt with 150 and make the same. Now, I don’t see it being that low…closer to $220 ish.

But, they definitely have set themselves up with this new product to be able to sell lower!

Hello everyone.
Looking for some opinions on a DVC purchase. I'm currently looking to acquire 200-225 points on the resale market and am having a hard time deciding on the Grand Floridian Villas or the Polynesian Villas. While we understand there are differences between the two, we've stayed at both and enjoy each resort for what they offer in terms of location and amenities. We're a family of 3 with a 13 year old daughter (who is LOVES Disney) and plan on reserving only studios as we don’t spend much time in our room. Which would you choose and why? I'm hoping to get some insight from everyone's opinions. Thank you
I own contracts at both resorts. As others have mentioned, I don't think you will be disappointed with either (both great options). Everyone starts out saying they only want to stay in studios but do know you will see the light and never want to stay in a studio again once you've tried a 1 bedroom. That door makes your stay so much more enjoyable (I'm sure your teenager would appreciate it). The lack of 1 bedrooms and grand villas is the only major negative for PBV in my opinion. The addition of VGF2 will heavily dilute the room mix at VGF probably making 1 bedrooms harder to book. The walking path to MK is another major plus for VGF in my book. You will have a better chance of booking at PBV within the 7 month window as compared to booking at VGF in the 7 month window. For those reasons, I'd choose VGF.

If you are looking to maximize value in your resale purchase, I think now and until the end of the year will be a good time to buy PBV as the prices have plateaued and there is a good bit of PBV inventory right now (plus you can get banked points and 2021 points and not have to pay dues on them). If you were going to buy VGF resale, I'd probably wait until VGF2 starts to be sold direct. A huge influx of inventory will probably push resale prices down some.

Both outstanding resorts. For us, though, we view Poly as a studio-only resort, which is a negative for us. I know you state now that you'll only want studios going forward, but believe me - things can change. You might find a 1BR more suitable for some trips because of the kitchen or the w/d, etc. Or your kids might want to take a friend in the future, and you might seek a 2BR that doesn't cost the points that the Poly bungalows do. All that being said, we do love both locations. The feel at Poly cannot be beat!

I would say GFV if you only want to stay at GF or Poly, as Poly is easier to get at 7 months. Plus GF gives you the 11 month window for other room types if you need them ever. If you would be happy wherever or doing split stays you might want to consider lower cost points such as SSR, AKV or extended OKW and getting what you can at 7 months. It really depends on how fixed / flexible your travel dates are and how much you have to stay at GF or Poly.

LOL. Granted, I was the highest guess in the VGF2 pricing thread, but direct DVC doesn't go down. Resale has taken some temporary dips (like summer 2020), but the direction is overall up.

I know I priced VGF2 at $275 a point, didn't recall anything higher but the boo-birds sure did come out and suggest some of the lowest prices seen in some time. Wishful thinking I suppose but let's not forget this is the Flagship.
[/QUOTE]

I own contracts at both resorts. As others have mentioned, I don't think you will be disappointed with either (both great options). Everyone starts out saying they only want to stay in studios but do know you will see the light and never want to stay in a studio again once you've tried a 1 bedroom. That door makes your stay so much more enjoyable (I'm sure your teenager would appreciate it). The lack of 1 bedrooms and grand villas is the only major negative for PBV in my opinion. The addition of VGF2 will heavily dilute the room mix at VGF probably making 1 bedrooms harder to book. The walking path to MK is another major plus for VGF in my book. You will have a better chance of booking at PBV within the 7 month window as compared to booking at VGF in the 7 month window. For those reasons, I'd choose VGF.

If you are looking to maximize value in your resale purchase, I think now and until the end of the year will be a good time to buy PBV as the prices have plateaued and there is a good bit of PBV inventory right now (plus you can get banked points and 2021 points and not have to pay dues on them). If you were going to buy VGF resale, I'd probably wait until VGF2 starts to be sold direct. A huge influx of inventory will probably push resale prices down some.

Sorry...hit post too soon. Can you explain the bolded portion for me?

Not my post, but I agree 1BRs will be hard to book. All of the current VGF studios and 1BRs are lockoffs. It's why when the studios are booked, the 2BR lockoffs are gone and the 1BRs stay available, well that and the ridiculous point chart on them.

The new building adds a bunch of VGF points and a bunch of studios, which may be new categories. With a pile of ridiculously priced studios, I can see the pricing for the 1BR looking reasonable next to a "theme park view hotel suite villa" or whatever the new category will be. This increases demand for both the original studios and the original 1BR, and the easy booking becomes the expensive theme park view, kind of like how BLT studios book right now. Compared to the new amount of points, VGF will have very few 1BRs and 2BRS, because the lockoffs are dependent on the legacy studios.

Not my post, but I agree 1BRs will be hard to book. All of the current VGF studios and 1BRs are lockoffs. It's why when the studios are booked, the 2BR lockoffs are gone and the 1BRs stay available, well that and the ridiculous point chart on them.

The new building adds a bunch of VGF points and a bunch of studios, which may be new categories. With a pile of ridiculously priced studios, I can see the pricing for the 1BR looking reasonable next to a "theme park view hotel suite villa" or whatever the new category will be. This increases demand for both the original studios and the original 1BR, and the easy booking becomes the expensive theme park view, kind of like how BLT studios book right now. Compared to the new amount of points, VGF will have very few 1BRs and 2BRS, because the lockoffs are dependent on the legacy studios.
Thank you for that! I was wondering since I have been pretty successful at getting a 1 BR at 7 months. The high points hurt. But since the grandkids are not yet ready to go, I have the points to burn and it is our favorite resort.

Here is what I meant by saying "The addition of VGF2 will heavily dilute the room mix at VGF probably making 1 bedrooms harder to book."

Currently the room mix at VGF is as follows:
47 Lockoff studios
47 Lockoff 1 bedrooms
47 dedicated 2 bedrooms
6 dedicated Grand Villas

Total of 100 units or 147 maximum available rooms.

VGF2 will add 200 studios to the room mix and no new 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom or Grand Villas. This means there will be a huge increase in the amount of outstanding VGF points and very limited options for 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom and Grand Villa stays. Further, the only 1 bedrooms are lockoff units meaning they get turned into 2 bedrooms units when combined with a studio. I'm betting 1 bedrooms at VGF book at the 11 month mark and will be really hard to land going forward.

Or, they can try to reallocate points to make 1BR's look "less reasonable" to decrease demand. This will not be good news for those who typically book 1BRs.

No, the one bedrooms won’t be hard to book. Whatever Disney calls the new studios, they’ll still be converted hotel rooms with with no kitchen sink and a cooler instead of a refrigerator, which won’t command anywhere near the points needed for the one bedroom. The VGF one bedroom point chart, especially for the lake view, has always been sky high. There’s no reason to believe new buyers, to whom a brand new all studios building is being marketed, will suddenly decide to burn through their initial point purchases on such a high ticket accommodation.

The new building is 100% studios because Disney knows there will be demand for them. New buyers will be primarily interested in what is being sold. And that’s studios.

I think we can all agree the PVB one bedrooms are significantly harder to book than the VGF one bedrooms.

PVB and VGF are pretty close for buy-in price but VGF has lower dues and PVB studios are pretty openly available so I'd go with VGF personally. It could be worth seeing what the VGF direct price does when they open the new building.

I would never buy at POLY. You want the flexibility of 1BR and 2BR imo at your home resort.

Besides POLY isnt the hardest studio to get so you likely could still stay there at some point.

Hello everyone.
Looking for some opinions on a DVC purchase. I'm currently looking to acquire 200-225 points on the resale market and am having a hard time deciding on the Grand Floridian Villas or the Polynesian Villas. While we understand there are differences between the two, we've stayed at both and enjoy each resort for what they offer in terms of location and amenities. We're a family of 3 with a 13 year old daughter (who is LOVES Disney) and plan on reserving only studios as we don’t spend much time in our room. Which would you choose and why? I'm hoping to get some insight from everyone's opinions. Thank you
Prior to Disney's announcement earlier this year that they will be adding 200 Studios to the Villas at the Grand Floridian (VGF), I would have suggested VGF. VGF only has 47 Studios. VGF is really hard to book if you don't own there.

Conversely, Polynesian Villas and Bungalows (PVB) has 360 Studios. Still, it's a popular location, so it's somewhere in the middle of difficulty to book.

With 200 more Studios, VGF will have 247 Studios. Still not as many as PVB, but it's a lot closer than it was. No one can be certain, but I think a VGF Studio will continue to be harder to book than a PVB Studio.

Since you have stayed at both resorts, I don't need to explain the pros and cons of each. You should have a pretty good sense of what both are like.

One other topic to discuss is the annual Maintenance Fee (MF). Less this year's special discount, the VGF MF is $6.81 per point. The PVB MF is $7.05 per point. You mention wanting a 200-225 point contract, so the difference is only $48 per year. That would not be enough of a difference to influence my decision.

Current PVB resale prices are noticeably lower than VGF. If both resorts appeal to you equally, then save the money and go with PVB. But if you like VGF more, than pay the extra and go with VGF.

Keep in mind that if you buy at VGF, you'll probably have a good chance of being able to book at PVB at some point. (Unless you intend to go during DVC's busy season - October to December. For these months, it sometimes can be hard to book the cheaper rooms at your home resort.) But if you buy at PVB, you might have a more difficult time booking at VGF.

Here is what I meant by saying "The addition of VGF2 will heavily dilute the room mix at VGF probably making 1 bedrooms harder to book."

Currently the room mix at VGF is as follows:
47 Lockoff studios
47 Lockoff 1 bedrooms
47 dedicated 2 bedrooms
6 dedicated Grand Villas

Total of 100 units or 147 maximum available rooms.

VGF2 will add 200 studios to the room mix and no new 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom or Grand Villas. This means there will be a huge increase in the amount of outstanding VGF points and very limited options for 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom and Grand Villa stays. Further, the only 1 bedrooms are lockoff units meaning they get turned into 2 bedrooms units when combined with a studio. I'm betting 1 bedrooms at VGF book at the 11 month mark and will be really hard to land going forward.

Yes maybe the best summation is that VGF2 will make it harder for non-owners to book larger units at 7 months but easier to book studios

Which would you choose and why?
Each of those resorts has a unique vibe. GF is more uptight, prim and proper feel whereas Poly is a more relaxed feel and really makes you feel as though you are transported elsewhere. The one thing i love about poly is being able to stroll around the lush grounds while listening to the polynesian music. Because you noted only staying in studies then Poly could be a good fit for you. What you need to do it write a pro/con list for each resort to see which make a better fit for you. One biggie for my family of 5 is the 2 bathrooms for getting ready in the morning, plus I believe the rooms are slightly larger at poly.

Because you said you want 200+ points why not buy 100+ at GF and 100 at Poly? This way you have the 11 month advantage for both with decent size contracts. Then down the road if you ever want to downsize you would sell one.

Yes maybe the best summation is that VGF2 will make it harder for non-owners to book larger units at 7 months but easier to book studios
That makes sense. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Hard to image booking issues at 11 months.

No, the one bedrooms won’t be hard to book. Whatever Disney calls the new studios, they’ll still be converted hotel rooms with with no kitchen sink and a cooler instead of a refrigerator, which won’t command anywhere near the points needed for the one bedroom. The VGF one bedroom point chart, especially for the lake view, has always been sky high. There’s no reason to believe new buyers, to whom a brand new all studios building is being marketed, will suddenly decide to burn through their initial point purchases on such a high ticket accommodation.

The new building is 100% studios because Disney knows there will be demand for them. New buyers will be primarily interested in what is being sold. And that’s studios.
Hope so, we usually alternate between Studios and 1BR. If not we'll just use it for Studios and CCV for !BR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter