Poly Villas vs Grand Floridian Villas (Resale)

DisDad-

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone.
Looking for some opinions on a DVC purchase. I'm currently looking to acquire 200-225 points on the resale market and am having a hard time deciding on the Grand Floridian Villas or the Polynesian Villas. While we understand there are differences between the two, we've stayed at both and enjoy each resort for what they offer in terms of location and amenities. We're a family of 3 with a 13 year old daughter (who is LOVES Disney) and plan on reserving only studios as we don’t spend much time in our room. Which would you choose and why? I'm hoping to get some insight from everyone's opinions. Thank you

I just bought at Poly because it’s my favorite! You can’t go wrong either way. Poly is much cheaper, but VGF you have the option of non studios if you ever wanted to bring someone else with you. Also, it may hold better resale value in the long run. You get two extra years with Poly

I think buying VGF gives you a better 11 month advantage for studios, but the new VGF2 building could possibly ease the competition. OTOH the new "resort studios" have a different layout and there might be more demand for the older style studios.

Poly usually has availability at 7 months. I don't want to say there's always availability, because people sometimes run into that issue now, mainly because of the buildup of banked points due to the pandemic.

Can't go wrong with either you can walk back and forth between the two. Grand Floridian gives you the option for larger rooms, but Poly has a later expiration by a couple years.

Poly has large spacious deluxe studios. All studios have microwaves, mini-fridges, and toasters. But, the only room types available are studios or the point-pricey bungalows.

GFV will soon have both deluxe studios and resort studios. Next year the majority of studios at GFV will be resort studios, no kitchenette (microwave, toaster, minifridge), only a beverage cooler. Resort studios might be the largest DVC studios once available. Also, GFV offers flexibility of larger rooms.

Both resorts will sleep 5 to a room in studios and offer easy accessibility to Magic Kingdom and the monorail.

My family uses the kitchenette, so I would hesitate to purchase at a resort where that is missing in a category of rooms (especially in a large quantity). But, everyone travels differently.

Last edited:
I chose VGF in the 2020 fire sale, because I thought it had more upside. I didn’t think it would be so fast, and now VGF pricing is so high, I would definitely pick BLT as the resort with more upside.

VGF 11 month priority is worth more. Poly has hundreds of rooms in the same category, I even got a Poly waitlist to fill over marathon weekend. VGF 2 might change this booking pattern some, but it will still have some category hard to book, probably 1BR if the studios are new, higher priced booking categories. The 200 new rooms will be chopped into at least 3 categories IMO, as opposed to the hundreds in one category at Poly. This makes availability challenging for cheaper ones, like BLT, though obviously making studios overall easier to book.

I do think (pre-COVID) it was anecdotally easier to rent out poly points. If that’s in your plans here and there, it’s something to consider. New VGF studios will likely be expensive, which will make poly even more appealing.

Mathematically, both are strong choices with awesome location and upside potential. You should choose on what your preferences are.

Last edited:

Everyone has given you great advice. Personally, I love the Poly but both are wonderful resorts. Go with the one your family wants, where they feel comfortable and happy. The good thing is no matter which one you pick both are within easy walking distance of each other. 😍

I just bought VGF and sold Poly. Lack of one bedroom and (affordable) two bedrooms is an issue at Poly. Also, it was generally easier to find Poly studios with SSR points than VGF studios.

I much prefer VGF over the Poly for many reasons. But either works. I do think it’s easier to get Poly as a non resort owner than it is the other way around.

I am looking to add VGF points next year when they start selling again for the new rooms because we want to visit in December and need home resort for that.

I like that the gym is at GF vs having to walk from Poly. I love the walkway too and while you can walk to Poly from MK as well, it’s t is a bit longer all the way to the villas.

Good luck!

Everything being equal I like VGF more, but cost wise Poly should be cheaper. So if cost is a factor maybe lean Poly, but if not I’d get VGF as you can likely get Poly at 7 months a decent amount of time, where as of now studios at VGF almost always need 11 months.

I just bought VGF and sold Poly. Lack of one bedroom and (affordable) two bedrooms is an issue at Poly. Also, it was generally easier to find Poly studios with SSR points than VGF studios.
Are you saying that the 120+ point per night Bungalows are not affordable? The average DVC contract is probably in the 175 point range, so one night in a Bungalow. 2 if you bank, 3-4 if you could bank and borrow 100%. How isn’t that affordable? I’m joking of course. Yes that is the one negative at PVB, no 1,2 and 3 bedroom units.

Are you saying that the 120+ point per night Bungalows are not affordable? The average DVC contract is probably in the 175 point range, so one night in a Bungalow. 2 if you bank, 3-4 if you could bank and borrow 100%. How isn’t that affordable? I’m joking of course. Yes that is the one negative at PVB, no 1,2 and 3 bedroom units. Some day I might stay in one for a night. The cabins maybe a night or two. It will probably be a big mistake my DW will probably only want to stay in them once we stay in one. Trust me it’s been difficult going back to a studio after staying in a grand villa.

We own Poly and love it! We typically get 2 connecting studios for the 8 of us (with the soft refurb just completed and the addition of the Murphy beds it is even better than before). For us it works better than having a 1 or 2 bedroom. We love having the larger rooms, having 4 showers at the end of the day and the same for getting ready in the morning, two kitchenettes, being a short walking distance to the TTC to take the monorail directly to Epcot and all the transportation choices to go to MK. We also made our choice because we just love the feel of the Poly. I agree, you can't really go wrong, both are great choices. We love walking to Grand for dinner or to enjoy the Enchanted Rose. Either way good luck!

Hello everyone.
Looking for some opinions on a DVC purchase. I'm currently looking to acquire 200-225 points on the resale market and am having a hard time deciding on the Grand Floridian Villas or the Polynesian Villas. While we understand there are differences between the two, we've stayed at both and enjoy each resort for what they offer in terms of location and amenities. We're a family of 3 with a 13 year old daughter (who is LOVES Disney) and plan on reserving only studios as we don’t spend much time in our room. Which would you choose and why? I'm hoping to get some insight from everyone's opinions. Thank you

We debated on the same resorts in 2018 and decided to buy at Polynesian. We are also a "studio family" and were looking for enough points for a lake view. At the end, the slightly bigger studios at the Poly, direct view of the castle and fireworks from the room, and proximity to the TTC without need for any monorail transfers did it for us. The one benefit that I have found owning at the Polynesian is that I don't necessarily need to jump on the computer exactly at the 11 month mark since Poly is full of studios. However, this may go true for VGF also since there will be 200+ "resort studios" added to the mix next year.

Hello everyone.

My biggest DVC regret is not splitting my points up between two resorts - I would highly recommend buying 100 VGF and 100 PVB (or 100 + 125) and switching between them every year using banking and borrowing. This gives you priority booking at two great resorts plus helps average the cost.

Example: in 2022 go to VGF by using 100 2022 points and borrowing 100 2023 points. Since you didn't use PVB that year, bank them to 2023 and use the 200 PVB points for your 2023 trip.

My biggest DVC regret is not splitting my points up between two resorts - I would highly recommend buying 100 VGF and 100 PVB (or 100 + 125) and switching between them every year using banking and borrowing. This gives you priority booking at two great resorts plus helps average the cost.

Example: in 2022 go to VGF by using 100 2022 points and borrowing 100 2023 points. Since you didn't use PVB that year, bank them to 2023 and use the 200 PVB points for your 2023 trip.
I agree with getting contracts at both, with more points at VGF to allow for the occasional 1BR. As kids get older, they may want to bring a friend or just have their own space and I know we like the 1BR for the king bed. We wanted the 11mo booking window at both resorts and will do either split stays or bank/borrow (currently borrowing is limited to 50%) for trips in alternate years. Just need to be aware that you will need to have the same use year if you want to combine points at the 7mo window.

I would consider waiting to buy VGF resale until direct sales start on VGF2. I don‘t think the cost for what they’ll be marketing, a converted hotel bldg with all studios and no kitchenettes, will be priced anywhere near the stratospheric level some anticipate. And if the cost is more reasonable, the resale price will go down.

Actually looked at the listings, and I'm changing my response to Poly hands down. Tasty Poly contracts at Fidelity. Put in some offers. TONS on the market. It's a buyer's market. Take your time.

And if the cost is more reasonable, the resale price will go down.

LOL. Granted, I was the highest guess in the VGF2 pricing thread, but direct DVC doesn't go down. Resale has taken some temporary dips (like summer 2020), but the direction is overall up.

I expect VGF2 to be insanely priced. It's the only foreseeable WDW project, and DVC is in no hurry to have nothing going on. IMO that will be good for the value of my VGF1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!