• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poly suggestions

wtrowbridge

Mouseketeer
We are going to be staying at the Poly for the first time in Sept. I know there are a lot of "houses" or areas that are technically a part of the Poly. We will have 6 kids with our group and one of the reasons we want to stay there is to be on the monorail. Which house should we request if we want to be closest to the monorail?

Are their other considerations? Being near pool, beach? We stayed in Tokelau, and thought it was a nice central location. A few minutes walk to GCH, right next to quiet pool, and we walked out beach end of building to get to beach, and main pool, boat dock, etc. also a short walk to TTC for Epcot monorail.
Have a look at resort map to see where you would prefer. But poly isn't very big, and there aren't any long walks to anything.
Allears.net has resort maps. And Tikiman has a great web site full of Poly info.

We like Rapa Nui - shortest walk to the TTC - you can monorail to MK or Epcot, or take the ferry if you want a boat ride. It's a little bit of a walk to the Great Ceremonial House - the QS restaurant, etc. and quite a hike to the big pool.

We are going to be staying at the Poly for the first time in Sept. I know there are a lot of "houses" or areas that are technically a part of the Poly. We will have 6 kids with our group and one of the reasons we want to stay there is to be on the monorail. Which house should we request if we want to be closest to the monorail?

We stayed in Samoa and loved the location. It was convenient to everything as it was just steps from the GCH (where the monorail is located), volcano pool, the beach, and Captain Cooks. I agree with Sue M that the Poly isn't that big and it doesn't take long to walk anywhere :).

Rarotonga (standard view rooms) is right beside the Great Ceremonial House, where you will catch the monorail. You may also have a view of the monorail gliding past, if your room is on the parking lot/monorail side.
Many rooms in Aotearoa would also have direct views of the monorail :)

Check out the resort map on the Polynesian Resort FAQ http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2985839

I really enjoy http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/ for info on the Poly. Lots of great info. We stayed one magical trip in Tokelau at the lagoon end of the building. It was not as crowded and I asked nicely for some pixie dust so when we checked in we had one of the garden view rooms that technically looked down along the beach with the lagoon to the right. It was spectacular to see people swaying in hammocks, walking the beach/paths, and everything else.

As others have said, being "close" to the monorail means different things at the Poly. Since the Poly is next door to the TTC (the main access point to the MK who drive to Disney from the surrounding area and also the connecting point for the Epcot monorail), it's easier to think of the Poly as having two monorail stations within walking distance: the GCH stop (which is the "Poly" stop) and the TTC. From the GCH, you can catch the Resort Monorail to the MK which has one stop at the GF on the way to the MK and two stops (Contemporary and TTC) on the way from the MK. From the TTC you can catch an express monorail straight to the MK and that is where you should go to catch the monorail to Epcot (you could take the resort monorail, but then you would have to stop 4 times and switch platforms). Typically the Resort monorail is less crowded and difficult but YMMV.

As far as buildings go, Rarotonga, Niue, Samoa, and Aoteaora are closest to the GCH. Rapa Nui and Tahiti are closest to the TTC. Tokelau is about equidistant from both. Tuvalu and Fiji are the furthest from the TTC and relatively close to the GCH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter