Poly or Contemporary?

NYCANC

DIS Veteran
Which one would you choose?
Poly (our fave) or Contemporary (2nd fave) but not in the tower but Garden wing.
$400 difference.

Thanks!

December between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's a quick trip for my 50th so I would like the conveninece to MK. One day park hoppers and one day MK and prob the holiday party. thanks!

Thanks. CR is my fave for quickie trips and especially if a party and a lot MK time is involved. Just can't beat the convenience of your own two feet. I like Poly for longer, more warm weather stays (not that December is cold, it's just not summer) where I know we'll have a lot of pool time.

I personally find CR's recent Incredibles theming unnecessary but the renovated rooms themselves are very comfy/livable and I think the bathrooms are among the nicest on property right now.

Just my two cents.

Happy early 50th!

Thanks. CR is my fave for quickie trips and especially if a party and a lot MK time is involved. Just can't beat the convenience of your own two feet. I like Poly for longer, more warm weather stays (not that December is cold, it's just not summer) where I know we'll have a lot of pool time.

I personally find CR's recent Incredibles theming unnecessary but the renovated rooms themselves are very comfy/livable and I think the bathrooms are among the nicest on property right now.

Just my two cents.

Happy early 50th!
Thanks! What do you think of the Garden Wing? We have only ever stayed in the tower but the price is a good savings from the tower and $400 cheaper than the standard room at the Poly. I do not think those rooms have been updated yet but this is a quick trip for us.

Thanks! What do you think of the Garden Wing? We have only ever stayed in the tower but the price is a good savings from the tower and $400 cheaper than the standard room at the Poly. I do not think those rooms have been updated yet but this is a quick trip for us.

You're in luck, they have been renovated, all of the CR work finished up a few months ago. They are basically identical to the Tower rooms except seem to be all showers in the Garden Wing, I haven't seen a report yet of tubs.

I don't have a ton of personal experience in the Garden Wing so will let others chime in with better perspectives, but many people seem to like the GW just fine, and $400 can go a long way in helping get over if a few more steps or no balcony. :-) I do like a balcony/patio (first floor GW rooms have a patio, second and third floor rooms don't have outdoor space) so that's my one personal hangup with the GW... but that won't apply to everyone.

For the next few years, Poly Standard View is going to be a little risky as the new DVC tower construction will eventually be right up against some of the Standard View room inventory (assuming Disney intends to put guests in those rooms during construction). It's just a cleared site for now but will likely get cranking here shortly... so that may be worth considering in this decision.

You're in luck, they have been renovated. They are identical to the Tower rooms except seem to be all showers in the Garden Wing, I haven't seen a report yet of tubs.

I don't have a ton of personal experience in the Garden Wing so will let others chime in with better perspectives, but many people seem to like the GW just fine, and $400 can go a long way in helping get over if a few more steps or no balcony. :-) I do like a balcony/patio (first floor GW rooms have a patio, second and third floor rooms don't have outdoor space) so that's my one personal hangup with the GW... but that won't apply to everyone.

For the next few years, Poly Standard View is going to be a little risky as the new DVC tower construction will eventually be right up against some of the Standard View room inventory (assuming Disney intends to put guests in those rooms during construction). It's just a cleared site for now but will likely get cranking here shortly... so that may be worth considering in this decision.
Thank you! Great info! We usually do a week or more so this Friday to Monday is really throwing me through a loop. But I have two high schoolers so no other choice to celebrate my bday :) and I am not going during the holiday's :)

I personally love Poly. That’s where I grew up staying as a kid.

Having said that, we own DVC at BLT and recently stayed in a room at CR for two nights when our flight was canceled. I thought the theming was cute, and the bathroom was great. We were in the tower. For a short trip and a savings of $400/night, I’d go with CR. You could use the savings to splurge on something (nice dinner, jewelry, etc).

I agree that the Contemporary can't be beat for the convenience of getting to and from the MK. I have stayed at the Poly, GF and CR on multiple trips. My most recent trip I switched from the GF to the CR theme park view since my mom decided to come with us and we would be spending more time in the room.

Although our trip was longer than your planned trip, most of it was spent at the MK including park hopping to it on the days we didn't begin there and attending the Halloween party. We walked to and from the MK except one time that it was about to rain and our last day when we were flying home so we wouldn't be too hot.

We did walk to the Garden Wing a few times to do laundry on this trip and it really wasn't that far to get to and from the main tower. I have also stayed in the Garden Wing on previous trips. It is still convenient.

It always seems to me that the Poly is more spread out and I have gotten confused coming back from the parks to find the right building. I like the looks of the Poly and the ease of walking to the TTC better but I just find the convenience of walking to and from the MK from the CR preferable.

Enjoy your trip.

I agree that the Contemporary can't be beat for the convenience of getting to and from the MK. I have stayed at the Poly, GF and CR on multiple trips. My most recent trip I switched from the GF to the CR theme park view since my mom decided to come with us and we would be spending more time in the room.

Although our trip was longer than your planned trip, most of it was spent at the MK including park hopping to it on the days we didn't begin there and attending the Halloween party. We walked to and from the MK except one time that it was about to rain and our last day when we were flying home so we wouldn't be too hot.

We did walk to the Garden Wing a few times to do laundry on this trip and it really wasn't that far to get to and from the main tower. I have also stayed in the Garden Wing on previous trips. It is still convenient.

It always seems to me that the Poly is more spread out and I have gotten confused coming back from the parks to find the right building. I like the looks of the Poly and the ease of walking to the TTC better but I just find the convenience of walking to and from the MK from the CR preferable.

Enjoy your trip.
Thanks- we were thinking not knowing what building we would be in at the Poly might lean us to CR. We have stayed at the Hawaii bldg before and love it but club level is not needed this trip and I do not like the unknown of which building we would be in at the Poly.

I personally love Poly. That’s where I grew up staying as a kid.

Having said that, we own DVC at BLT and recently stayed in a room at CR for two nights when our flight was canceled. I thought the theming was cute, and the bathroom was great. We were in the tower. For a short trip and a savings of $400/night, I’d go with CR. You could use the savings to splurge on something (nice dinner, jewelry, etc).
Thinking it will go towards the holiday party possibly on my bday night! Thanks!

I would choose to save $400/night. If the two are equal, I think I would choose Contemporary due to its proximity to MK. It's an easy walk but, if you choose to use the monorail, picking it up @ Contemporary requires a ride around the entire Resort route before reaching MK. The monorail ride btwn Polynesian and MK is quicker.

CR hands down. Poly's "longhouses" feel like motels to me. I love to visit the lobby, ohana, and the grounds/pool, but I probably won't ever stay there again (new DVC tower excepted.)

I would choose to save $400/night. If the two are equal, I think I would choose Contemporary due to its proximity to MK. It's an easy walk but, if you choose to use the monorail, picking it up @ Contemporary requires a ride around the entire Resort route before reaching MK. The monorail ride btwn Polynesian and MK is quicker.
We have stayed at both before and we prefer the walk over to MK from CR. Thanks!

CR hands down. Poly's "longhouses" feel like motels to me. I love to visit the lobby, ohana, and the grounds/pool, but I probably won't ever stay there again (new DVC tower excepted.)
My preference there is Hawaii for club level and knowing the location of where we will be. But for more convenience to MK, I think CR is going to win for a short trip. thanks!

We’ve stayed garden wing at CR twice. If the trip was only MK, I would book it over poly for sure. The rooms at the end of the garden wing have a really wonderful view of bay lake, and a front row seat for the Electrical Water Pageant.

Both are really nice places, but nothing about Poly is worth an extra $400. Save the money and use it to help pay for meals. We liked to walk from the Contemporary to MK but then take the monorail when returning since it was the next stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter