Poll: Your Plans for Galaxy's Edge

How will Galaxy's Edge opening affect your planning?

• We're just waiting for the opening date annoucement so we can be there Day 1!

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • We're planning an extra trip late 2019 or early 2020 and can't wait!

Votes: 82 19.7%
  • We're delaying our normal/planned trip this year in order to go after GE is open.

Votes: 29 7.0%
  • We're skipping 2020 and will plan a trip when the crazy quiets down again.

Votes: 108 25.9%
  • We're not changing our plans at all - que sera, sera.

Votes: 179 42.9%

• Total voters
I am shocked at how many people are either planning on avoiding Disney or not changing their plans for GE. I expected a substantial number of people here to be chomping at the bit to go as soon after opening as they could. Apparently not. Where are you, SW and Disney superfans!!! :earsboy: :earsgirl: :chewy: :darth: ???!!

Disney & SW super fans in this family but also I think it’s a reality check.

Look at Pandora and I’ve never heard of an Avatar fan. I imagine that Grand Street area full of hours long queues to even get in land, wall to wall people, impossible ADRS or getting in Cantina, ride lines unbearable since most wont score FP+ even at 60 days and the inevitable guest ugliness, probably worse than ever.

Every time they share cool photos or renderings I then imagine not being able to see most for crowds wedged in. To me .... I would think the more SW fan you are (DS2 is) the more you want to avoid your first time as insanely packed and not being able to appreciate. Waiting at least might help Disney get their operations and crowd management fine tuned.

Disney is building this land, almost direct easy fast access to/from highway, new buses and gondola to be ready for influx. But they have done minimal to get that park ready to handle the crowds. TSL is packed and that will get worse for awhile as I’m betting that SW tunnel will be exit only. MM railway isn’t enough to bring balance. RnR and ToT lines will get worse. Most QS in there are overwhelmed. Park simply is too small to have balance.

Hope I’m wrong, but for now we’ll try to wait and hope for AP or upcharge events. Note: We did Pandora AP event then avoided Pandora for next few trips.

I agree with @HopperFan. I want to get in there, but I will not deal with chaos. I will most definitely pay for the upcharge events if they are offered. If we do not see it until 2021 I am ok with it.

IF by some chance it opens while we are there in November I might go try and get in. It's really something I have to feel out while I am physically there.

I am a Harry Potter super fan and I waited years to go to Wizarding World. It was worth the wait!

I didn't see an option in the poll for "Late 2020," but that's when we are planning to go. We usually go early November. We are doing Universal this November and hitting DHS for one day... not sure if SWGE will be open when we go. I think I'm hoping it won't be. Plan for 2020 is just hopefully secure a FP for it if they have them, just like we did for Pandora.

I picked that we are not changing our plans as we definitely won't plan a trip specifically for late 2019/early 2020 just to go to it and we also definitely aren't trying to avoid it by skipping 2020

That said, it will impact a bit when we next go as I do want to see it, but after things calm down and just once things are more known - but at the same time we likely would have a trip in 2020 anyway, so not sure how much it is adding to this taking this trip at all

One thing it will do is change HOW we plan - and that will also largely depend on what they do as far as paid extra magic ours event so tours like they have for Animal Kingdom ... as when we do go I really want to experience it without shoulder to shoulder crowds and I think would be willing to pay for a hard ticket event and then save money elsewhere (stay offsite, less nice meals, fewer days, etc.)

Dh and I bought AP's in anticipation of going back to see this after it opens. I wasn't sure how to vote though, since I'm hoping for some sort of preview. I have no desire to be there for the first day it opens to the masses. If there aren't any previews we can take advantage of, we'll probably aim for January or February of 2020 and hope for the best.

Currently booked over Thanksgiving into early December purposely for SWGE. If it’s not open by then we may push the trip to early January or spring break 2020.

I'm planning on being there on official/general opening day and I'm also expecting this view (only not of Universal CityWalk but of the line snaking towards Boardwalk and beyond) I think it's safe to assume the fandom for SWGE will equal if not surpass the fandom of Harry Potter
This was the line to get into the park....and I can tell you from first hand experience that this past Christmas I was there on Christmas day and there was about a 15 minute wait to get into the WWoHP, but once inside it was not shoulder to shoulder and rather enjoyable. So I'm hoping Disney does the same thing where we are going to have to wait ridiculous amounts of hours but once inside it'll be crowded but not super packed
image.JPG

I am shocked at how many people are either planning on avoiding Disney or not changing their plans for GE. I expected a substantial number of people here to be chomping at the bit to go as soon after opening as they could. Apparently not. Where are you, SW and Disney superfans!!! :earsboy: :earsgirl: :chewy: :darth: ???!!

I'm one of the ones who selected that we are planning an extra trip. We have a trip booked end of October/beginning of November but also planning an extra trip for January to be sure to get there early on.

I'm planning on being there on official/general opening day and I'm also expecting this view (only not of Universal CityWalk but of the line snaking towards Boardwalk and beyond) I think it's safe to assume the fandom for SWGE will equal if not surpass the fandom of Harry Potter
This was the line to get into the park....and I can tell you from first hand experience that this past Christmas I was there on Christmas day and there was about a 15 minute wait to get into the WWoHP, but once inside it was not shoulder to shoulder and rather enjoyable. So I'm hoping Disney does the same thing where we are going to have to wait ridiculous amounts of hours but once inside it'll be crowded but not super packed
image.JPG

I 100% agree - I'd rather wait longer to get in or use a paid hard ticket event or something to get in to the land, but once in I can fully experience the immersion and interacting with the CMs working there and the droids going around, etc. and not be smushed like sardines and not get the full effect

I had made plans for 2020 before I even thought about SWGE, so now I'm just a little bit more excited than I already was!

image.JPG

I think Pandora was like that. Hours wait to get to the land in “standby” but we had FoP FP the second weekend it was open and didn’t have to wait long, nor did I think it was insanely packed inside. I’m planning SWGE the 7th day of our trip so I’m hoping to FP something. :)

Since it's come up in several threads with people coming at it from different angles, I'm curious what the Disboards consensus is. Are people looking to go as soon as possible or are people running from the chaos.
We take a long trip every summer, so are keeping with our Summer 2020 trip and looking to coordinate with other family members as well. Probably 8-10 of us going vs. our typical 4. We're also planning on W&D 2019, so in the event that it's open then (though not banking on it), we'll of course check it out -- insanity or not!

I wouldn't conclude much from a relatively small number of responses on a board, personally. :)

Personally it's just not in my budget for "late fall" this year

But we're going in July 2020 regardless, and in all my planning emails to my family I keep reiterating "we don't know what the reality will be like when star wars opens"

Star Wars fan but will see it when I see it. Not changing any plans and when I do get there
if it is ridiculously crowded, I will do a quick walk thru to look around but continue on elsewhere.
Just wait for the next trip.

We are going at Christmas time. Unless something goes horribly wrong SWGE will be open.

SWGE opening has no effect on our dates. We would be going at this time regardless. However we are SW fans and will now have to plan our trip around SWGE whether that was the plan or not. We obviously aren't going to come all that way and not see it.

Looking like Dec. 21st-Jan. 3rd right now.

We got APs and we are planning on a number of trips Spring and Summer to enjoy WDW before SWGE opens. (Have only booked one, but have multiple ones in my head).

We have debated whether it'll be worth dealing with the craziness of opening, but I think we will try to take a trip once it opens. We're fans and this is going to be huge.

I’m super torn over our trip next year. We usually do late April/early May and then late October and/or early December. Early December was super busy to me this year. 2014 was the last time I was there in December and I do not remember crowd levels of 6-8 like this year. Our wedding/honeymoon trip in late April was much quieter crowd wise.

Easter is sort of throwing off our plans for late April this year, so no spring trip for us, which has me looking at Sept, Oct, or Nov (not doing December again because I think it will be utter chaos this year with GE). Still trying to decide if I want to take advantage of potentially low crowds in Fall before GE or brave the crazy holiday, Thanksgiving, potential GE opening crowds in November :scared:

Anyone think paid or AP previews could be possible in late October? (last week of Oct into first weekend in Nov)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!