Poll: Please help me decide!

which cruise with a 9 year old?

• 9 night Eastern on the Fantasy

Votes: 47 51.1%
  • Mediterranean on the Magic

Votes: 45 48.9%

• Total voters
I agree with the above poster that you cannot go wrong with either of your choices. We have been able to 4 cruises in Europe with another this summer. On our first cruise our son had just turned 7 and our daughter was only 3 mos old. Our son chose to go to Pisa as an excursion because he remembered the leaning tower from the Little Einsteins. He was a trooper even on our longest excursion to Rome. We tried to mix up long days with shorter excursions for some balance for all of us. On our second European cruise our daughter was three and our son was 9. This was a 12 day Med with four sea days which helped balance out our busy days in port. Our next cruise was when our son was 11 and our daughter was 5, and then again when our son was 12 and our daughter was 6. We have all really enjoyed all of these cruises over the years, no matter what ages. We have made it a point to find some things in port that are more geared toward the kids. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you all so much for your helpful responses!! They've all really made me think...especially the comment about doing it now bc the opportunity may not present itself again. We've decided to go for it and we're booking the Med!!! Torn between roundtrip from Barcelona or Barcelona to rome...will make that decision in the next couple days and book! So excited and an absolute dream vacation!! Thanks again everyone!

Thank you all so much for your helpful responses!! They've all really made me think...especially the comment about doing it now bc the opportunity may not present itself again. We've decided to go for it and we're booking the Med!!! Torn between roundtrip from Barcelona or Barcelona to rome...will make that decision in the next couple days and book! So excited and an absolute dream vacation!! Thanks again everyone!
I would do the one-way Barcelona to Rome. Fly into Barcelona a couple of days early so you can adjust to jetlag and check out the city, and stay a few days in Rome afterward. It's hard to "do Rome in a day" on the R/T cruises.

I would do the one-way Barcelona to Rome. Fly into Barcelona a couple of days early so you can adjust to jetlag and check out the city, and stay a few days in Rome afterward. It's hard to "do Rome in a day" on the R/T cruises.

This is what we're leaning towards...none of us have ever been to Rome and there's so much to do there. I'd like to spend several nights after the cruise before heading home

Barcelona is an amazing city for kids. There is a zoo with a huge park adjacent to it. There is an amusement park at the top of a mountain just outside of the city called Thibidabo. Our kid’s favorite is a hands-on science museum called Cosmo Caixa. We will be in Barcelona this summer on our son’s 16th birthday and he has chosen to spend his birthday at Cosmo Caixa with sushi for dinner.

Rome was the most overwhelming of all ports we have visited. Great idea to end your cruise there with a few days to explore. You will LOVE your cruise!

I have an uncle that when asked: "Why do you keep going back to Rome?"

His response is: "Rome was not built in a day and you can't see it in a day, week or month. It deserves more!!"
--------------------------------------------

and @o&smom - Sushi in Barcelona!!????? I would think Pallea or Tapas would be a better local choice .. but your DS does have good sense!!

I love your plan! Honestly, as a child, I would have preferred Europe over the Caribbean. Your family's special time together is what will make the vacation fun- regardless of the destination. Have fun!

I have an uncle that when asked: "Why do you keep going back to Rome?"

His response is: "Rome was not built in a day and you can't see it in a day, week or month. It deserves more!!"
--------------------------------------------

and @o&smom - Sushi in Barcelona!!????? I would think Pallea or Tapas would be a better local choice .. but your DS does have good sense!!
Yes, I know! Luckily, we had both the last time we were in Barcelona. :) We have tapas planned in Madrid, along with his favorite restaurant Wagamama, and we will have four other days in Barcelona to get our taste of Spain cravings filled.

The first time I ever went to Europe, I was 8. It changed my perspective on the world.

The cruise will still be fun onboard--and then the port adventures can be great if you make sure to let your little one have some fun choices--like a gelato BEFORE lunch, or picking out a special souvenir, or (what we did with my then-9-YO)--riding a carousel in a piazza in Florence. And make sure lunch is something your kiddo chooses.

My daughter was 9 and loved Europe! Do it--you will never regret it.

I voted for the Med because you said you'd love to go. Why not look through the excursions, pick what you might like to do and decide from there? If they look like things that will bore your son, but you really want to do them, then maybe this isn't the time for that cruise. But if you're able to find things that you will both love, then you'll have your answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter