Pokemon GO In the Parks?

addiemon

Snarky Princess of Oz
Hey guys! Sorry if this is in the wrong board- mods, appreciate the move if so! -but I was curious- Pokemon GO just launched. Anyone at the parks see if there are interesting Pokemon to catch, Gyms/Pokestops at park locations, etc.?

I work for a video game company and our office turned out to be a Gym so it's been a pretty hot topic around here!

It's an "Augmented Reality Game"- basically the game generates Pokemon based on the player's location (and a few in-game items that can impact how many you find). There are also locations in the world that are persistent across all players: Gyms (where you can "train" Pokemon) and Pokestops (where you can find more Pokemon and often get items).

So you can theoretically find Pokemon anywhere on the planet that you can use a phone- even hearing stories of people finding them while on planes using WiFi! It's pretty fun so far.

Cool to hear that you can find them at the parks! I'm really curious to hear if there are any gyms/stops out there. :hippie:

Ill probably be testing it out tonight.

Ingress, the original game using the same technology was a lot of fun in the parks, so I imagine Pokemon GO will work as well. From what I've seen around where I work, it uses a lot of the same portals that were in Ingress as either gyms or stores (the smaller portals around my offices are stores, and the big point of interest is a gym). Magic Kingdom was full of portals so I'm curious as to how that will work. But with all the different environment types around property, I'm guessing it will be a great place to get a wide variety of pokemon

Interesting! I played a little Ingress but didn't get that into it (I got in so late and lived in an area where apparently a LOT OF PEOPLE played so I felt way too far behind...) - I didn't think about the actual locations potentially carrying forward, but now that you mention it I bet they're using similar algorithms, so that makes sense!

Hope you enjoy the game! It's been fun so far- though I hope they add more social features before too long. :)

My husband has been so excited for this game for a good year now. He will be thrilled when I tell him about the spots in the parks! We have a big trip coming up in September.

well I didn't really need a reason to go to the parks but GO GO GO!!

I'd actually be surprised if there are any.. universal has rights to nintendo and if pokemon is putting things in disney parks that's a big screw up on the rights contract in my mind :)

It's not Nintendo putting things in the park. This is a virtual reality game that takes place all over the world. As you explore, you 'encounter' different Pokemon on the app that you then have the opportunity to catch. I have seen several people find Pokemon in their homes, and I found one in the parking lot this morning.

The game works best in areas with more traffic since there is a user interaction component (so my work complex with little game traffic is very limited. Whereas Magic Kingdom with lots of people interacting will increase the appearances of Pokemon). The ability to move around is also a big part of the game since the user has a limited range of interaction based on their location, which the parks lend themselves to easily.

well I didn't really need a reason to go to the parks but GO GO GO!!

I'd actually be surprised if there are any.. universal has rights to nintendo and if pokemon is putting things in disney parks that's a big screw up on the rights contract in my mind :)
I posted above that a friend found some at mk earlier today, he posted a pic on fb

It's not Nintendo putting things in the park. This is a virtual reality game that takes place all over the world. As you explore, you 'encounter' different Pokemon on the app that you then have the opportunity to catch. I have seen several people find Pokemon in their homes, and I found one in the parking lot this morning.

I know what the game is.. If I was universal, I'd be pissed and want them off disney property and abundant at universal :)

Plans changed and I'll be at Disney Springs instead. Not quite as exciting as finding a Pikacu in front of Cinderella Castle, but it should be pretty easy to find land and water types, so I'll report back on how that works out :)

This is an iPhone type game? So, my kid will need an iPhone (or borrow mine) to be able to play it, but will need to travel around to play it? Kid loves Pokémon, but that sounds like a tough setup for kids who don't have their own phones.

This is an iPhone type game? So, my kid will need an iPhone (or borrow mine) to be able to play it, but will need to travel around to play it? Kid loves Pokémon, but that sounds like a tough setup for kids who don't have their own phones.

It's currently in the Apple and Android app stores. The device needs to be able to track your location so an iPod/tablet may be usable with wifi, but I'm not sure on that. Whatever device you play on must have a GPS chip, so iPods are not compatible

The app isn't really designed for kids tbh. Imagine a real-life version of the Pokemon Gameboy/DS games: in the games, the player travels to different regions, explores different environments, and battles at different gyms. In this one, you have to travel to different regions, explore different environments, and battle in different gyms - the phone is just the portal that allows you to access everything.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter