PO French Quarter- what are the walking paths made of? Cobblestone? Stamped concrete, pavers, etc?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
This may sound like an odd question. But I have very unstable ankles and walking on certain kinds of surfaces that are not level tend to make my ankles give out. I had booked POFQ but have never been. I see in some youtube videos some concrete floors, what appear to be pavers (but could be stamped concrete), or cobblestone, some brick, etc. Various surfaces, which makes me a bit concerned that the ground may feel not level under my feet. For example, the ground in Animal Kingdom (on the way to Pandora/Navi River) kills my ankles.

So is it TRUE cobblestone (which tends to be very uneven)? Anyone can shed some light on this?

Last edited:
The "streets" are uneven but I can't for the life of me this morning remember what they are made off. They will not be level. There are sidewalks as well and those are just normal sidewalks so that would be an option as well.

Yes, I see the sidewalks in some areas. That's definitely better for my ankles. I watched a bunch of videos to see if I could see the various surfaces. Thanks for your post.

If you go on Google maps, satellite level, and zoom in to the resort, there are some photos available there too - just drop the little yellow guy onto one of the blue circles to see that area.

Yes, I see the sidewalks in some areas. That's definitely better for my ankles. I watched a bunch of videos to see if I could see the various surfaces. Thanks for your post.
There are sidewalks pretty much everywhere, it may just be a slightly less direct path since many of them pass in front of the rooms. You will also have to walk on the uneven surface in order to cross the "street".

Thank you, never knew I could do that

I do it all the time - it's handy to use before you go to a new place, just to get an idea of what it looks like. I check out intersections and landmarks for turns before I drive someplace new, check out what a building looks like (entrance on what side of the building?) so I know best place to try to park, etc. And I spend way too much time dropping the little yellow guy all around WDW property :)

I do it all the time - it's handy to use before you go to a new place, just to get an idea of what it looks like. I check out intersections and landmarks for turns before I drive someplace new, check out what a building looks like (entrance on what side of the building?) so I know best place to try to park, etc. And I spend way too much time dropping the little yellow guy all around WDW property :)

OMG I have never done that! I didn't think there would be street views for WDW. You just introduced me to my next new hobby!!! Thanks so so much!

There are sidewalks pretty much everywhere, it may just be a slightly less direct path since many of them pass in front of the rooms. You will also have to walk on the uneven surface in order to cross the "street".

What surface do you refer to and where? Are you referring to the bricks alongside the curbs? As long as I can go around that or step over that to walk the majority of the time, I am ok. But if I was walking on all cobblestone I would be in trouble.

So I just did it. Some great views! Turns out I think it's stamped concrete ,which is much more level than cobblestone. So that makes me feel a bit better!! Thanks again!

Last edited:
It varies.
The ‘roads’ and sidewalks are made of textured concrete, which I think is supposed to resemble gravel. Instead of bumps, there are small holes. The roads also have ‘gutters’ made of brick. You don’t need to walk on them, but will have to cross them at corners, as shown in the pictures.
There are also curbs in many areas and not all have curb cuts.0DA7B9CD-8C2E-48AB-8F44-1E9BE601EE87.jpeg D655B4B2-8C73-4CA2-9007-AE263B876C9C.jpeg 0442E94B-8C11-4CE3-8E09-73225DF7EAF9.jpeg .

Some of the sidewalks are narrow and/or have protrusions - like light poles or horse hitching poles. You need to be aware of them, but can avoid them by going in the ‘streets’.

The area leading to the eating area, shops, check in, etc are stamped concrete as far as I remember. Inside those buildings vary from concrete in the eating area, to ceramic tile in part of the lobby area, to carpet, to a more cobblestone appearing tile in part of the lobby.
The walking path along the water is smooth - I think it’s a variety of blacktop.

This video shows a variety of the ground/floor surfaces.
https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/port-orleans-french-quarter/

It varies.
The ‘roads’ and sidewalks are made of textured concrete, which I think is supposed to resemble gravel. Instead of bumps, there are small holes. The roads also have ‘gutters’ made of brick. You don’t need to walk on them, but will have to cross them at corners, as shown in the pictures.
There are also curbs in many areas and not all have curb cuts.View attachment 378455 View attachment 378456 View attachment 378457 .

Some of the sidewalks are narrow and/or have protrusions - like light poles or horse hitching poles. You need to be aware of them, but can avoid them by going in the ‘streets’.

The area leading to the eating area, shops, check in, etc are stamped concrete as far as I remember. Inside those buildings vary from concrete in the eating area, to ceramic tile in part of the lobby area, to carpet, to a more cobblestone appearing tile in part of the lobby.
The walking path along the water is smooth - I think it’s a variety of blacktop.

This video shows a variety of the ground/floor surfaces.
https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/port-orleans-french-quarter/

Thank you so much for this thorough description. I think the main thing I was worried about was true cobblestone, which is extremely bumpy.

Sue, do you know what buildings the first two pics are from?

0932FE5C-A25E-4EFB-93F1-F0A2F1058384.jpeg I i I I think the first picture was taken where I made the blue sort of star mark.
The building in the front of the picture is highlighted with blue.

I’m less sure about the second picture. I think it’s where I marked with the green circle.

Yes, the second picture is of the rear doors to the central building. I just stayed there for a few days this past week. The CM I checked in with called them the crystal doors when she was explaining where my room was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter