Please tell me SSR is not all that bad...

SSR is our home resort and we love it. I have nothing to compare the buses to b/c we have never stayed anywhere else but I do notice that they are slower to come by when you are waiting for one to take you back to the resort. At times other resorts would have 2 buses comeing in the time we got one. I guess it's because the resort is so big it takes more time to go through it before the bus takes you to a park? It wouldn't stop me from going back though, we just leave earlier to go to a park and just sit at the bus stop when leaving a park. No big deal usually.

My concerns are multiple bus stops at one resort and waiting a long time for buses. Not really getting on and off. Plus the distance to the parks from the resort.

We find the busses there to be great. There are multiple stops, but that didn't bother us. And as others have posted, it is centrally located. We never found the ride to MK bad, as well as any of the other parks. You'll have a great time.:goodvibes

We have our first trip to SSR booked in September. Since it is Sept we had all kinds of resort options at 7mo when we booked. My kids have been begging to stay at SSR since our trip last year when we spent an afternoon at the Paddock pool. The pools at SSR are fantastic, the views are gorgeous, there is tons to do with DTD in walking distance or a quick ferry ride away. We are really excited about spending the week exploring SSR, hanging at the pools, checking out the CH, and having EOS for the first time ;)

I did put in a plug for BLT since we have yet to try it. Out voted. My big kids thinks it looks really "boring" compared to SSR or OKW. (and by boring I am referring almost specifically to the pool. A big deal to my 8 and 5yo)

Oh and someone said something about little ones and the bus. My almost 2yo LOVES the bus. She discovered her favorite ride in Jan when we stayed at OKW. We always drive but she threw down one day we tried to get her in our van to go to a park. She pointed to the bus stop and screamed until we headed over to it. Big smiles when the bus showed up. She made driving noises, laughed and bounced the entire trip. We will probably use the buses all week in Sept :thumbsup2

SSR is awesome!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I agree 100%. We have stayed at BLT, BCV, BWV and OKW and our favorite, by far, is SSR. The best pools, staff, restaurants, really is a great place!!!!

We went 3 years ago and had a great time . We right next to the quiet pool and bus stop and loved it do much we only went to resort pool once .buses were great we only waited more than 10 min once,maybe we were lucky?the boats from DTD were the longest waits for us.

I found our old room no 5747 so it was in the paddock. Fab view onto the bridge crossing lake and 2 min from leaving our room to quiet pool which never had more than 10 people, laundry,hot tub and bus stop. The Turf Club was excellent and my prime rib was the best I have ever eaten and in fact this was one of our fav meals which was a nice surprise and staff were lovely.i would go back again but we booked YC as there's 5 of us and we wanted to be in Epcot area as we loved it and the F&W is on.

It is what you make of it. I enjoy SSR and think a lot of people just like to complain about it. Even the distance to the main lobby is about the same time as any other resort is to their main lobby, except it is outside at SSR (but internal busses are available if you want). One advantage is that the busses are very consistent. In the beginning they had problems, but they have become great and the time it takes to get to any park is about the same (about 20-25 minutes). It makes planning our mornings easy because we leave at the same time regardless of what park we are visiting.

Better than driving, as others have said the busses uses backroads and you get dropped off much closer than you would be able to park.

We just stayed there in June and loved it! We agree that the food and pools are great! You will not be disappointed!:goodvibes

SSR is a great resort. It's one of our home resorts and we have stayed there many times. I've never had issues with the buses.

I would pick the Grandstand location. This puts you in easy walking distance to the main pool area and food. It's also the first bus stop. So you will always have a seat. Also when coming home, you are the first stop off. The ride to MK really isn't that long, and the stops within the resort don't take very long.

The Grandstand has a pool and pool bar, and a cool water play area for the kids. Also the walk to the boat for DtD isn't far either. Some rooms have great views of the golf course too.

My daughter is 9 and LOOOVVEESSS to swim. Which area would you recommend? We're doing a resort stay without the parks so we need access to great swimming and maybe the community center... Or easy access to DTD.

Just completed our very first DVC stay. We went all out and decided on a split stay. We began at BLT for 4 nights and SSR (our home resort) for 3 nights. I too was so terribly nervous based on all the negative posts about switching. Wow, I can tell you that I absolutely loved both resorts. Each had so much to offer, but I do have to say that we needed more time at SSR. We were in the paddock section right next to the pool, bus stop and walkway to the bridge that directly leads to the main building which took me about 5 minutes. The grounds are spectacular and we enjoyed sitting by the pool, enjoying the beautiful views and having coffee and Danishes that we were able to get at the paddock grill. There is even a drink station right there for you to fill your mugs if you don't want to venture to the main building. Activities, activities, activities! So much to offer at springs pool and some also at the Paddock for children of all ages. I can't say enough about our wonderful stay. I would love to do it again and stay longer in both resorts.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

SSR was the first DVC we ever stayed at, so everything felt grand and amazing compared to the Mods we were used to.

We have since stayed at BLT, BCV, VWL, AKV and we found that we prefer the 'in your face' theming of AKV and VWL, but still think that SSR is a beautiful and relaxing resort. :thumbsup2

My daughter is 9 and LOOOVVEESSS to swim. Which area would you recommend? We're doing a resort stay without the parks so we need access to great swimming and maybe the community center... Or easy access to DTD.

Springs is the main pool area and where the food is. Also the boat to DTD is there.

SSR is not all that bad. :thumbsup2

There, done. :goodvibes

I own there and never was a big lover of it. However, the last time I stayed I realized that its totally grown into itself. And extremely relaxing. Can't wait to return.

Here's some pictures from that stay:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2727927 ( Most are SSR. However, the statues - that I seem to be obsessed with every time I'm at WDW - are at the Polynesian)

We have stayed in many different resorts, and love SSR. If the one br had a chair bed, we would stay there more often. The Paddock pool is great for young children. Fenced, great splash playground, food, drinks, hot tub, zero entry and a pool slide. Cast members come for afternoon party. Short walk to main pool. Turtles to look at, too. Midway around resort for busses. Grandstand pool is fun too and first on first off busses would make it my second choice. Springs is closest to main pool and most with kids love that area but you are last on/off bus. Congress park has great views of DTD and a nice quiet pool.

So many great areas in one resort. It also gives you the benefit of not being super in you face Disney like other resorts. It is a place to relax and get away from the craziness.

Re busses...I have had no issues. Play "I spy" games and all will be well. The ride is really not too long.

Although SSR is our home we've only stayed there once because we enjoy resort hopping. We stayed in the Granstand section and we really enjoyed it - loved the bus service too.

But now after reading thru this thread I am second guessing myself. I just made a last minute reservation a few days ago beginning Aug. 10th and for a request I said either the Paddock section or the Grandstand section because that Paddock pool has been re-done since the last time we were there and I thought it would be nice to go there. Now I'm wondering if it's such a big deal for little kids if we should just ask for the Grandstand section again? We don't have little kids (OUR DS IS 16) and we felt the Grandstand pool was wide open the time we were there. I don't want to feel overrun by toddlers. Thoughts? Should I call back and re-prioritize my request?? Is the Paddock pool intended for more toddlers than anything else?

Anal Annie said:
Now I'm wondering if it's such a big deal for little kids if we should just ask for the Grandstand section again? We don't have little kids (OUR DS IS 16) and we felt the Grandstand pool was wide open the time we were there. I don't want to feel overrun by toddlers. Thoughts? Should I call back and re-prioritize my request?? Is the Paddock pool intended for more toddlers than anything else?

Well the Paddock pool was redone to be a second feature pool, since the resort is big enough to support two feature pools. It is a guarded pool, so used by families and others that prefer to have lifeguards at the pool. Unlike the quiet pools, which are not guarded.

The toddler splash area is its own separately fenced area, so parents with both younger and older kids can go there. Tweens/Teens can be at the main pool area, while mom or dad hang with the preschoolers or toddlers nearby in the kiddie splash area.

It is a busy pool. If lifeguards are not a priority for you, and you prefer the pool to yourself quality of a quiet pool, then perhaps the Paddock pool isn't for you.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards App please excuse any typos and autocorrects!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter