Please indulge me with another resort decision

Phelia325

Mouseketeer
We have narrowed it down to AKL or POR. There is approx. 400 dollar difference during our 4 night stay. This is a spur of the moment trip; we were at the Poly in February and have a week at the YC club at the end of the August (where we plan to spend LOTS of time hanging at the pool and just relaxing) - so basically, we will have out fill of disney this year! I really want to see F&G festival this year and otherwise, we will likely just hit MK and AK (my kids are little and don't love DTD shopping or HS). We typically try to get out early, return to the pool mid-day and then set out again for the evening. We have not stayed (with the kids at least) at a bus only resort (for convenience with a HEAVY double stroller, typically laden with diaper bags and stuff, we try to stay in EPCOT area or monorail), so I'm most curious about ease of transportation to and from the parks. The 400 savings is huge (it's meals for trip!) but I'm wondering if the bus transportation between POR will be taxing (no pun intended!) for a fairly short trip? I've read that AKL buses are a bit better. Any experience? And this probably sounds like a silly question, but what is a good game plan in terms of planning our days - i.e. is it unreasonable to take the buses back and forth to the park twice a day (once out in the morning, then back to swim, then back in the evening)? Thanks so much for any input!

We have narrowed it down to AKL or POR. There is approx. 400 dollar difference during our 4 night stay. This is a spur of the moment trip; we were at the Poly in February and have a week at the YC club at the end of the August (where we plan to spend LOTS of time hanging at the pool and just relaxing) - so basically, we will have out fill of disney this year! I really want to see F&G festival this year and otherwise, we will likely just hit MK and AK (my kids are little and don't love DTD shopping or HS). We typically try to get out early, return to the pool mid-day and then set out again for the evening. We have not stayed (with the kids at least) at a bus only resort (for convenience with a HEAVY double stroller, typically laden with diaper bags and stuff, we try to stay in EPCOT area or monorail), so I'm most curious about ease of transportation to and from the parks. The 400 savings is huge (it's meals for trip!) but I'm wondering if the bus transportation between POR will be taxing (no pun intended!) for a fairly short trip? I've read that AKL buses are a bit better. Any experience? And this probably sounds like a silly question, but what is a good game plan in terms of planning our days - i.e. is it unreasonable to take the buses back and forth to the park twice a day (once out in the morning, then back to swim, then back in the evening)? Thanks so much for any input!

I'd personally stay at POR and save the money. I can't see that a bus ride from AKL would be much different than a bus ride from POR. I've taken the buses back and forth twice a day on trips with no issues.

You have multiple pools to use at POR and POFQ. You'll have a pool at Jambo House and Kidani Village.

You can do more wandering around at POR. Plus you can take a boat to DTD and back to the resort, just for a change of pace. But if you have a savanna view at AKL, you can watch animals a lot.

The food court at POR is very good. At AKL you'll have Mara which is nice, but not as much variety as POR.

Both are nice resorts.

We've never stayed at POR, but we loved AKL. Worth is subjective as it's different for everyone, but for us, the extra $400 would be worth it for AKL. We found the buses to be fine as they only go to AKL and Kidani, with no sharing among other resorts. AKL is a quick 5 minute trip to AK, which would be great for a mid day trip back to the resort. Good luck deciding, although I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which resort you choose.

We've stayed at POR for many of our trips and will be staying there again in April. We have never had issues with the bus transportation. MY DD7 loves to stay there, she requested it this next trip. They have nice activities for the kids by the pool during the day and they have a camp fire and movies at night. The food court at POR is really great too. I also personally like the serenity of POR on my morning walks for coffee. It's part of the vacation that I look forward to.

Both are great resorts. I don't think there's much of a difference with bus transportation between any resort. They all seem to run well 99% of the time. You can have an occasional glitch at any resort.
If you are considering POR, I might suggest POFQ with 2 young children, as it's a smaller resort with only 1 bus stop.

We love both, POR & POFQ. Our last stay in January was at FQ, and we rarely shared resorts. Bus service was good. I can understand your concern with a big double stroller, but you'll have the same hassle at either AKL or POR resorts.

I'd be inclined to save the $ and stay at either POR or FQ.

That being said, we've stayed twice at AKL and it's a great resort, and they have a zero entry pool.

I'd personally stay at POR and save the money. I can't see that a bus ride from AKL would be much different than a bus ride from POR. I've taken the buses back and forth twice a day on trips with no issues.

Our vote as well...:thumbsup2

If I couldn't stay on the monorail line I totally would stay at POR. We have stayed at the Poly and contemporary and have been just as happy staying at POR!! AKL is beautiful, but your still gonna be on the bus, its just not worth the $400 in my opinion. Honestly, POR and the Poly seem to have alot of the same features to us, minus the monorail!

If you can't get a "preferred" room at POR stay at POFQ - it can be a hike to food and bus stops from the big manor houses.

With only one bus stop the bus from POFQ is much more convenient - and many buses stop at both POR and POFQ with POFQ being first - staying at POFQ means you won't be looking for seats on an already-full bus.

Thank you for your input. We ended up booking the Swan! I'm a diehard Disney property girl, but I just love the EPCOT area resorts. And with a AP discount the Swan fell between AKL and POR pricewise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter