Please Help - Animal Kingdom Wheelchair Question

rangerxenos

DIS Veteran
Hello,

I have a friend driving up from Daytona to visit me for the day while I'm at WDW, and we plan on going to Animal Kingdom.

She's recently had some major health troubles, and usually uses a walker, but we've decided that with the size of AK, she should get a wheelchair instead. We're going to rent one once we get to the park.

My question is, would we be better leaving her car at my resort and taking the bus, or driving to the park directly. She has a handicapped tag, and I have an AP, so fees are not an issue. I'm just trying to figure out what would be the least amount of walking for her. Not sure which is closer, handicapped parking or resort bus parking.

The other thing I was wondering is can I go rent the wheelchair at the park entrance, then come back with it to get her at either the car or the bus?

Thank you for your help, I don't have any experience with accessibility issues as I have been fortunate not to have to worry about it in my previous trips.

I have a friend we travel at WDW with sometimes who has a handicapped tag and I don't remember the HC parking being far away but I'm not sure if it is closer than the bus. However there are usually some wheelchairs at the bus area so once she got off the bus you could push her all the way through the entrance to guest services and then rent a WC. They don't let you take the bus WC's through the parks. I'm not sure if the HC parking also generally has WC's around to use. I remember seeing them at times but not sure if someone left it there or it is always there. I would guess whether you bus or park that you can ask a CM to help you find one of the complimentary "transportation area" WC's so you can get to guest services to rent the park ones.

I would also guess that AK is probably the hardest park to push someone in a WC because of the hills and the cobblestone paving. Even in a rented ECV it is rough. Just mentioning that because it could be tough on you! The best bet would be to have her rent an ECV once she gets into the park since it's just a one day trip, if she is willing to do that.

I believe the in-park rental location will store her walker for her while she is using a rented wheelchair or ECV. If she needs assistance getting to the rental location, I'd recommend she use the walker. There should be wheelchairs to help people get from the drop-off locations to the park gates, but it must be left outside the gates and that's assuming one is available at the time you arrive. In-park rentals cannot leave past the park gates.

Enjoy your vacation!

I prefer to drive ourselves when using my daughters wheelchair. The buses are limited to 2 wheelchairs or scooters, and often there are 3 or more waiting so you have to wait for a second or even third bus. Overall a lot faster to drive yourself, but less walking if you take the bus

Hello,

My question is, would we be better leaving her car at my resort and taking the bus, or driving to the park directly. She has a handicapped tag, and I have an AP, so fees are not an issue. I'm just trying to figure out what would be the least amount of walking for her. Not sure which is closer, handicapped parking or resort bus parking.

The other thing I was wondering is can I go rent the wheelchair at the park entrance, then come back with it to get her at either the car or the bus?

Thank you for your help, I don't have any experience with accessibility issues as I have been fortunate not to have to worry about it in my previous trips.

How could you leave her car at your resort if she is not a registered guest? Is that allowed?

The park wheelchairs have to stay in the park.

How could you leave her car at your resort if she is not a registered guest? Is that allowed?

The park wheelchairs have to stay in the park.

It was last year, so long as you okay ahead of time, I had friends visit me at Animal Kingdom Lodge. They had to give my name and I had to let them know I was having visitors ahead of time.

I have a friend we travel at WDW with sometimes who has a handicapped tag and I don't remember the HC parking being far away but I'm not sure if it is closer than the bus. However there are usually some wheelchairs at the bus area so once she got off the bus you could push her all the way through the entrance to guest services and then rent a WC. They don't let you take the bus WC's through the parks. I'm not sure if the HC parking also generally has WC's around to use. I remember seeing them at times but not sure if someone left it there or it is always there. I would guess whether you bus or park that you can ask a CM to help you find one of the complimentary "transportation area" WC's so you can get to guest services to rent the park ones.

I would also guess that AK is probably the hardest park to push someone in a WC because of the hills and the cobblestone paving. Even in a rented ECV it is rough. Just mentioning that because it could be tough on you! The best bet would be to have her rent an ECV once she gets into the park since it's just a one day trip, if she is willing to do that.

Thank you, this is helpful. Now I'm thinking we might want to rent a scooter instead, even though it is more expensive. Money is tight for my friend, I'm already paying for her ticket for the day, not sure if I can swing another $50, I'll have to figure that out ahead of time.

I prefer to drive ourselves when using my daughters wheelchair. The buses are limited to 2 wheelchairs or scooters, and often there are 3 or more waiting so you have to wait for a second or even third bus. Overall a lot faster to drive yourself, but less walking if you take the bus
Okay, but the OP isn't going to need wheelchair access on the bus.

It was last year, so long as you okay ahead of time, I had friends visit me at Animal Kingdom Lodge. They had to give my name and I had to let them know I was having visitors ahead of time.

Now they charge for parking, and I'd think if you were going to a park, not staying at the resort to visit, it wouldn't be allowed, would it? Otherwise, you could do that for anyone - have them park for free at a resort, and jump on a bus to the parks.

Guests are allowed to park (free) at any WDW resort to visit - either visit a guest staying there or to eat/shop/look around. The parking fee is charged for overnight parking. And as as AP holder as well as an on-site guest, the OP is allowed free parking at the parks regardless of who owns the vehicle. She just needs to scan her MB on entrance to the parking lot.

Guests are allowed to park (free) at any WDW resort to visit - either visit a guest staying there or to eat/shop/look around. The parking fee is charged for overnight parking. And as as AP holder as well as an on-site guest, the OP is allowed free parking at the parks regardless of who owns the vehicle. She just needs to scan her MB on entrance to the parking lot.

So, if I were a guest of someone staying onsite, I could park there and avoid the parking fee to get into the parks? That could save me a lot of money next trip!

Technically, someone staying at a resort needs to inform the front desk if they are expecting a guest. The visitor should have the name and room number of the person they are visiting. Access to parking lots should be allowed, however as is true for many reasons, some resorts may limit or restrict parking for anyone other than a guest staying at that resort.

Let’s get back on topic — wheelchair use at Animal Kingdom...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter