Please give me your best tips for traveling to WDW with an 8 month old

michelleiada

DIS Veteran
We have 11 nights booked for May. 6 adults and our new baby grandson. We have not traveled with littles in a very very long time. A little background...we will be my husband and I, and our two grown daughters and oldest daughter’s husband (who got engaged at Disney) and their new baby boy, and my other daughter and her boyfriend. We are DVC and staying 3 nights at Bay Lake Tower in a grand villa, and then 8 nights at Beach Club where we have a two bedroom and a studio for daughter and boyfriend. I would love your tips on packing essentials, shipping things to resort if needed, park days, etc. All of your suggestions and tips are welcomed. What are the musts for a successful WDW vacation with a baby?

Congrats on the new grandson!

You didn't say whether you were flying or not but my wife and I flew quite a bit with our kids, including when they were under one. One word of encouragement is that the age of your grandson was the PERFECT age when we traveled because they were old enough to be out of the newborn phase but not old enough to walk yet. He will be curious but not the "what does this button do?" curious yet. (Funny story: we traveled a European airline once with our kids that put their stewardess call button ON THE ARM REST next to the TV controls. Yeah that was fun...)

If flying (and I apologize if you're not), my one major recommendation would be to try to keep the baby awake prior to boarding the plane so that it could sleep during the flight itself. Obviously this will depend on flight times, but we'd even do this when we'd travel to Europe and departures were in the later evening/night. We'd get settled in the seat and give the baby some time to get aquatinted with the surroundings and then my wife would feed the baby during taxi and it would sleep most of the flight. We always took it as a good sign when other passengers would get up after landing to fetch their carry-ons and comment that they had no idea a baby was on the place. I understand every kid is different, but that always worked for us.

I also always encourage people traveling with small kids, whether they are doing Disney or someone else, is to not push the kids to do more than they can do. I've fallen victim to the trap of trying to do too much and the vacation just doesn't feel fun. Disney should be about slowing down and enjoying your time, more so with little ones.

Another nice gesture you could do for your daughter and son in law is give them some free time. My wife and I did Disney a few years ago with my in-laws and they did this for us. We had our evening meal in the France pavilion. After dinner, my in-laws took our kids, which allowed us to explore Epcot on our own. Now, my kids were a little older at the time (2 and 4), so YMMV, but of all the memories I have of that trip, that precious time with my wife is what stands out most to me. It was magical to be in World Showcase at night, with all the lights, and although I love my kids dearly, it was nice to just be the two of us. Given your grandson's age and depending on your comfort level, you could do things such as walk your grandson around World Showcase while your daughter and son go at their own pace. Or you could take him to another part of MK while they strolled through Main Street, things like this. You'd only ever be about 5-10 minutes away if the baby got fussy, then you could meet up again.

It might just be my love language but as someone that has frequently traveled with extended family, I cherish the small moments that I've been able to share with my wife while on vacation. I've always thought that one of the greatest gifts I could give my kids is to love their mother, and with all the stress of raising kids, jobs, and life in general, I'm very appreciative of the people around me (like my in-laws) that have given me the opportunity to invest in my marriage.

Just my $.02 : ) I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Congrats on the new grandson!

You didn't say whether you were flying or not but my wife and I flew quite a bit with our kids, including when they were under one. One word of encouragement is that the age of your grandson was the PERFECT age when we traveled because they were old enough to be out of the newborn phase but not old enough to walk yet. He will be curious but not the "what does this button do?" curious yet. (Funny story: we traveled a European airline once with our kids that put their stewardess call button ON THE ARM REST next to the TV controls. Yeah that was fun...)

If flying (and I apologize if you're not), my one major recommendation would be to try to keep the baby awake prior to boarding the plane so that it could sleep during the flight itself. Obviously this will depend on flight times, but we'd even do this when we'd travel to Europe and departures were in the later evening/night. We'd get settled in the seat and give the baby some time to get aquatinted with the surroundings and then my wife would feed the baby during taxi and it would sleep most of the flight. We always took it as a good sign when other passengers would get up after landing to fetch their carry-ons and comment that they had no idea a baby was on the place. I understand every kid is different, but that always worked for us.

I also always encourage people traveling with small kids, whether they are doing Disney or someone else, is to not push the kids to do more than they can do. I've fallen victim to the trap of trying to do too much and the vacation just doesn't feel fun. Disney should be about slowing down and enjoying your time, more so with little ones.

Another nice gesture you could do for your daughter and son in law is give them some free time. My wife and I did Disney a few years ago with my in-laws and they did this for us. We had our evening meal in the France pavilion. After dinner, my in-laws took our kids, which allowed us to explore Epcot on our own. Now, my kids were a little older at the time (2 and 4), so YMMV, but of all the memories I have of that trip, that precious time with my wife is what stands out most to me. It was magical to be in World Showcase at night, with all the lights, and although I love my kids dearly, it was nice to just be the two of us. Given your grandson's age and depending on your comfort level, you could do things such as walk your grandson around World Showcase while your daughter and son go at their own pace. Or you could take him to another part of MK while they strolled through Main Street, things like this. You'd only ever be about 5-10 minutes away if the baby got fussy, then you could meet up again.

It might just be my love language but as someone that has frequently traveled with extended family, I cherish the small moments that I've been able to share with my wife while on vacation. I've always thought that one of the greatest gifts I could give my kids is to love their mother, and with all the stress of raising kids, jobs, and life in general, I'm very appreciative of the people around me (like my in-laws) that have given me the opportunity to invest in my marriage.

Just my $.02 : ) I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I love your message. Thank you. We will be flying and our flight is approximately 3 hours. I do plan to give the kids a date night or two...they deserve it. My daughter is an ER nurse and my son in law is a police officer/detective. They never stop giving of themselves.

We took our son when he was 9 months old and big sister was 7. The best advice I can give you for traveling with baby anywhere is this: Be flexible and go with the flow. Listen to your baby. If he needs to sleep, let him sleep, if he needs to eat, feed him. If he's overstimulated, find a quiet spot to sit and comfort him. Same as you would do anywhere else. Just try not to get stressed about over the things you feel you need to see or do in the park, enjoy a slower pace.

We have 11 nights booked for May. 6 adults and our new baby grandson. We have not traveled with littles in a very very long time. A little background...we will be my husband and I, and our two grown daughters and oldest daughter’s husband (who got engaged at Disney) and their new baby boy, and my other daughter and her boyfriend. We are DVC and staying 3 nights at Bay Lake Tower in a grand villa, and then 8 nights at Beach Club where we have a two bedroom and a studio for daughter and boyfriend. I would love your tips on packing essentials, shipping things to resort if needed, park days, etc. All of your suggestions and tips are welcomed. What are the musts for a successful WDW vacation with a baby?
when packing bag for plane/ parks have a change of clothes not just for baby but anyone who will be holding or on plane beside baby. nothing worse than a throw up or leaking diaper. you have a change for baby but not the adult. yes I learned the hard way on a nonDisney flight and not being able to change until after plane landed a couple of hours later when we had gotten checked bags. unless driving I would pack only a day worth of diapers, wipes, formula and the like I would order and have it at the hotel. and I know with the times we are living in this might be hard but spend time with baby so he knows anyone who could be left with him when doing a "rider swap" in the park. nothing worse than an upset baby when parents leave to ride and no way to explain that they will be right back. I know this doesnt make sense now but have snacks/bottle availible at all times when traveling or in parks. one last tip take lots of pictures and maybe make a picture book for him only so he can "remember" the trip. have a great trip and enjoy him

We were at WDW when all 3 of my kids were around 9 months. I would not have survived those trips with out my Ergo/Beco baby carrier. Our babies all loved being in the carrier and it was a nice change from the stroller.
It's also great for waitng on lines. I was never asked to take baby out for any appropriate rides and I was never told the baby had to be facing out, though you will get some differing experiences on this.

If they are not using a baby carrier yet, I would recomend reading some reviews and buying one to get the baby used to it.

First let me say how thoughtful it is of you to ask! I am sure you will have a great time.

I haven't traveled to Disney with babies but have been almost everywhere else with the boys so just a few general tips--

Do not forget to pack special items (blanket, books), extra pacifiers and bottles and anything else which may be difficult to replace far from home. Also a night light :-)

Order kid's fave snacks and have some on hand while traveling or visiting the parks. Also baby food as necessary. This is not the time to teach new eating habits (taste? Yes, of course, but you shouldn't waste vacation time on cooking or convincing them to eat).

Take offs and landings may be difficult. Have pacifiers ready, and other distractors. Also, it will pass.

Make sure to have some down time every day at your resort with toys and quiet and less visual overload. Assuming you won't be making midday naps at the hotel... try finding locations in the parks to get the baby out of the stroller / carrier.

Ill try and think of other tips - but this is what used to work for us.

Have a great time and keep safe and healthy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter