• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning 1st NYC trip... need advice please

We also stayed at the Mayfair. Very convenient location, rooms small but comfortable. I would definitely stay there again.​

We got back a couple weeks ago and had a great time. I would recommend getting the week-long subway pass. Someone told us it pays for itself in 13 (one-way) trips (it's $33 per person). We used it more than that for sure and it was so easy from where we were staying. You can also use buses with the pass and we took the cross-town bus a couple of times. We were so busy and saw a lot but there was so much more we ran out of time to do. Some of what we did:
  • The Little Foxes on B'way. Outstanding. Laura Linney is one of my favorites and she was playing Regina that night.
  • The Lion King on B'way. Amazing. The opening number alone....woah.
  • Times Square was a trip. Girls with no tops and paint on their boobs. Tons of people. We liked the huge Disney store and M&M store.
  • Dinner and live jazz at the Blue Note. Really fun.
  • NBC studio tour. We saw the SNL and Jimmy Fallon studios.
  • Empire State building. I hate heights but the view is amazing.
  • 9-11 museum and memorial. A very sober, sad morning but they did a great job with the museum, it's a must-do.
  • Boat cruise of Brooklyn and Manhattan. We used Circle Line, it was a nice way to see some landmarks.
  • Highline Park and Chelsea Market. Cool places. Good gelato.
  • Guggenheim museum. DH and I had a "date day" when the kids (both teens) decided to opt out. Fine by us. We had a "leisurely" walk through Central Park to get there. (we kind of got lost) :)
  • The Met and Natural History museums. Both good but packed.
  • Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden. Need I say more? (He's one of my very favorites)
  • Lunch at Eataly downtown. Wish I had had time to shop, but I had a fantastic ravioli.
  • Burgers and shakes at Big Daddy's Upper West Side. Fun place and they had those fancy shakes like you see at Disney Springs.
  • Tenement museum - we took the Irish tour. Very interesting but lots of stairs and no AC.
  • Despicable Me 3 on the Fourth of July. We had been walking all day and wanted somewhere cool to rest. Got pizza slices on the walk home. (Funny movie)

Last edited:
Not sure if you've made all your arrangements yet it sounds like the Newton is a great deal in a nice and safe residential neighborhood. I live just a few blocks from there and will recommend it to my sister next time she visits my way instead of the AYH Hostel on Amsterdam Avenue. I have a 3 BR/2.5 bth apt but she has tooooo many peeps ( 7 kids....all nice but eek hurts my ovaries to think of anymore than a holiday meal visit for 'em...oops) to stay w/ me. The Newton has a subway stop on the corner (Broadway line; the numbers 1,2 and 3) and a short walk to the 96th Street stop of the "B" and "C" lines that run on Central Park West. The 'B' is the local for the "D" and the "C" is the local corresponding to the "A".
We were pleased with Hotel Newton. It's an older building and definitely needs some work done (the elevator broke the day after we arrived and we had to bring our luggage down three flights of stairs when we left), but it was safe, clean, affordable and in a perfect location. 96th street subway literally across the street. Most museums were walkable. One day DH went for a walk farther uptown through the Columbia campus and it wasn't that far. And most importantly, it was QUIET :)

We got back a couple weeks ago and had a great time. I would recommend getting the week-long subway pass. Someone told us it pays for itself in 13 (one-way) trips (it's $33 per person). We used it more than that for sure and it was so easy from where we were staying. You can also use buses with the pass and we took the cross-town bus a couple of times. We were so busy and saw a lot but there was so much more we ran out of time to do. Some of what we did:
  • The Little Foxes on B'way. Outstanding. Laura Linney is one of my favorites and she was playing Regina that night.
  • The Lion King on B'way. Amazing. The opening number alone....woah.
  • Times Square was a trip. Girls with no tops and paint on their boobs. Tons of people. We liked the huge Disney store and M&M store.
  • Dinner and live jazz at the Blue Note. Really fun.
  • NBC studio tour. We saw the SNL and Jimmy Fallon studios.
  • Empire State building. I hate heights but the view is amazing.
  • 9-11 museum and memorial. A very sober, sad morning but they did a great job with the museum, it's a must-do.
  • Boat cruise of Brooklyn and Manhattan. We used Circle Line, it was a nice way to see some landmarks.
  • Highline Park and Chelsea Market. Cool places. Good gelato.
  • Guggenheim museum. DH and I had a "date day" when the kids (both teens) decided to opt out. Fine by us. We had a "leisurely" walk through Central Park to get there. (we kind of got lost) :)
  • The Met and Natural History museums. Both good but packed.
  • Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden. Need I say more? (He's one of my very favorites)
  • Lunch at Eataly downtown. Wish I had had time to shop, but I had a fantastic ravioli.
  • Burgers and shakes at Big Daddy's Upper West Side. Fun place and they had those fancy shakes like you see at Disney Springs.
  • Tenement museum - we took the Irish tour. Very interesting but lots of stairs and no AC.
  • Despicable Me 3 on the Fourth of July. We had been walking all day and wanted somewhere cool to rest. Got pizza slices on the walk home. (Funny movie)
Sounds like the Vegas strip!!! :)

I assume you're referring to my Times Square comment? Lol.

I took two of my kids to see Hamilton in May. It was pouring the whole day but we still walked around a bit after the show. Times Square was nearly empty because the naked painted people took the day off. I'm guessing the paint isn't waterproof. The folks dressed up like Elmo/Elsa/Spider-Man/etc. we're also MIA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter