Planning 1st NYC trip... need advice please

First of all, good for you! I like to stay in a hotel in Times Square. Everyone says it's so touristy, but I AM a tourist and don't mind acting like one. If you can get a decent price, stay at the Marriott Marquis. It is full of people and lots of tourists and you'll feel right at home. When that is too expensive I stay at the Best Western President, right at Times Square also. You can walk from Times Square to Rockefeller Center, the cathedral,lots of stores, and just about all the shows. TKTS booth is right there too.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking about staying at or near Times Square. I know my daughter will love the busy, touristy part. Thanks so much for the hotel suggestions!

Juniors Restaurant is nearby and prices are fair. Touristy? I guess, but they serve a breakfast that will hold you most of the day and have a bakery if you want some cheesecake later.
I LOVE cheesecake, I will have to put this on our list

Traffic is just as bad as you can imagine so walking or subway is best. Don't book your return air too early in the day and allow lots of time to get there by car(with a driver). The hotel can arrange a car for you and the driver will give you the price up front. Sometimes I move to a cheaper hotel near the airport for my last night. Your Times Square hotel will check your luggage for you and you can spend the afternoon at a show/dinner before moving to the bargain airport place. Then you can take the hotel shuttle to the airport the next day.

Thanks for the tip!

In nice weather we have walked down to Battery Park and taken the very cheap Staten Island ferry across and back as a cheap way to see the Statue of Liberty. There is a subway station right there so you can ride back.

You have walked to Battery Park from the uptown area?

Just do it!!! You will blend right in with all the rest of us. Bring $$$ for shows.....very pricey but I love them!

Thanks so much for all the tips!

I have thought about purchasing tickets at the TKTS booth, but was not sure if it would take too much time out of our trip by going and waiting in line.
There are three different booths. If you go to the one downtown they sell tickets for the next day and the line is a lot shorter.
Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

I broke up the things you listed by location, hopefully this will help you.

Dylan's Candy Bar, Trump Tower, Tiffany's, St. Patricks Cathedral, Love sign, Times Square, Top of the Rock and broadway shows are all relatively close. If you want to go to the southern part of central park this would be a good time to do so as well.

Empire State, Grand Central Station, Macy's, Ny Public Library are all close.

You can do the Met and Central Park the same day if you want to go to the great lawn. Ladur'ee Madison would probably be closest to these, but its not really close.

If you get one of the city passes, make sure to also do the NY Skyride at the Empire state bldg if it comes with it. It's like star tours... NY edition.
You can also just take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty if you get one of the passes. If not, I would do Chinatown the same day since they're both downtown.

Thanks so much!!! :love: This is exactly what I'm needing help with, to know what can be done each day!

You've got lots of advice, but I will tell you, don't be scared. NY is not the scary place a lot of people think. I've not ridden the subway in NYC without seeing a tourist ask for directions, and the natives are always kind and helpful! (I'm not going to lie, even as often as I've done it, I get confused once I get underground, and again when I make my way aboveground again. There's nothing wrong with that).

If you don't mind walking, most of the things you want to do are within walking distance. Of your list, I'd only subway south to the SI ferry and north to the Met.

If you're set on seeing a specific show, buy tickets in advance. I've gotten tickets as late as 6:30 in the evening (after waiting maybe 15 minutes in line) for a show at 8.

For October, many NY schools have Jewish holidays off so things maybe be busier around those times (don't know when exactly they fall this year). Also, weekends are more expensive than weekdays. If you really want to stay in Time's Square, you're going to pay for it. I've been looking for hotels recently and around Grand Central seems to have some less expensive rooms. Also, I've just learned that double rooms are often more expensive than queen or king rooms which I think is weird - I've only ever traveled by myself, not with another person.

You can create a google map by dropping pins for all the places you want to see and be able to visualize where things are. A quick search for how to make a customized map will get you the directions on how to.

First of all, good for you! I like to stay in a hotel in Times Square. Everyone says it's so touristy, but I AM a tourist and don't mind acting like one. If you can get a decent price, stay at the Marriott Marquis. It is full of people and lots of tourists and you'll feel right at home. When that is too expensive I stay at the Best Western President, right at Times Square also. You can walk from Times Square to Rockefeller Center, the cathedral,lots of stores, and just about all the shows. TKTS booth is right there too.

Juniors Restaurant is nearby and prices are fair. Touristy? I guess, but they serve a breakfast that will hold you most of the day and have a bakery if you want some cheesecake later.

Traffic is just as bad as you can imagine so walking or subway is best. Don't book your return air too early in the day and allow lots of time to get there by car(with a driver). The hotel can arrange a car for you and the driver will give you the price up front. Sometimes I move to a cheaper hotel near the airport for my last night. Your Times Square hotel will check your luggage for you and you can spend the afternoon at a show/dinner before moving to the bargain airport place. Then you can take the hotel shuttle to the airport the next day.

In nice weather we have walked down to Battery Park and taken the very cheap Staten Island ferry across and back as a cheap way to see the Statue of Liberty. There is a subway station right there so you can ride back.

Just do it!!! You will blend right in with all the rest of us. Bring $$$ for shows.....very pricey but I love them!
We are staying at the Marriott Marquis in July. Glad to know it's in a great area.

We took an early summer trip for a week a couple of summers ago and wanted to go cheap. We didn't stay in Manhattan we stayed just across the Queensboro Bridge in Long Island City and the cost dropped quiet a bit ($170.00 per Night for 3 Adults DH, Me and DS 18 years old). We stayed at a Boutique Hotel with Continental Breakfast included. It was about 2 blocks to the subway and 2 stops to Manhattan. One thing that I appreciated is being across from Manhattan you get a wonderful view of the City Skyline, we were allowed to go on the hotel roof and look at the Skyline. We could see everything lite up, it was awesome. What I enjoyed the most was visiting the NYC Library, Grand Central Station, Chrysler Building, Walked over the Brooklyn Bridge from Brooklyn then walked to Wall Street, Saw Trump Tower, Central Park, and looking at all of the Old Architecture on the Buildings.We also went to the 1964-65 Worlds Fair location (in Queens)Where Walt Disney brought back the "It's a Small World" ride, I loved it.

Last edited:
We are staying at the Marriott Marquis in July. Glad to know it's in a great area.

I have stayed at the Marriott Marquis twice and have reservations again in September for one night prior to a cruise to New England and Canada. The Marriott Marquis is perfectly located in Times Square. BTW, Junior's is located right out the back entrance. Couldn't be more convenient.

Have fun!

You can create a google map by dropping pins for all the places you want to see and be able to visualize where things are. A quick search for how to make a customized map will get you the directions on how to.
This is what my DH does and it's very helpful.

Tons of great advice! If price is an issue, you can stay just a few blocks from Time Square around Grand Central Station for less, particularly on the weekends. If you like seafood the Grand Central Station Oyster Bar has some of the best seafood in the country and it is an iconic restaurant. The hotels around GCS get more business travelers who aren't there on the weekends and the converse is true for the Times Square hotels. You may want to consider a split stay. Check the pricing out. I also like the idea of staying close to the airport if you have an early morning flight.

Take the subway at least once but I prefer cabs and Uber. I like to see the city.

The Highline is awesome there is nothing like it anywhere. The photo ops and views are incredible. And it is FREE! http://www.thehighline.org/visit we take the 7 line Subway from GCS over the the 34th street station (the end of the line) and start at the top of the Highline. It takes us less than an hour to walk but we are moving and not stopping for pictures. We like to plan on doing that right before lunch and then go to Chelsea Market at the end for lunch. The variety of shops in there is amazing and budget friendly. There is nothing like it. www.chelseamarket.com You can pick up some brownies to bring back.

I have stayed at the Marriott Marquis twice and have reservations again in September for one night prior to a cruise to New England and Canada. The Marriott Marquis is perfectly located in Times Square. BTW, Junior's is located right out the back entrance. Couldn't be more convenient.

Have fun!
I just looked up the Marriott Marquis for July and saw $400+ a night for AAA rates. Am I missing something? This is not doable for us.

Have fun!
Thank you. Celebrating my 40th birthday there!

I just looked up the Marriott Marquis for July and saw $400+ a night for AAA rates. Am I missing something? This is not doable for us.
Yeah, crazy expensive. We are able to do it by transferring Starwood points to Marriot. I didn't pay a dime for it.

Yes, the Marriott Marquis can be pricey depending on when you are traveling. I got a AAA rate of $315 for a room with two beds in September. I jumped on that because I know it's a pretty good price for that hotel.

Yeah, crazy expensive. We are able to do it by transferring Starwood points to Marriot. I didn't pay a dime for it.

I only stay at the Marquis on points. My daughters love it but I'm not a fan. There are cheaper hotels within walking distance of Times Square. The elevators, while cool, confuse tourists and elevator etiquette can be abysmal. You have to let the people OFF before you get on and many times I've had people board ahead of people that were there first. It reminds me of people who show up at WDW just as the bus pulls up and walk on ahead of the people waiting.

I only stay at the Marquis on points. My daughters love it but I'm not a fan. There are cheaper hotels within walking distance of Times Square. The elevators, while cool, confuse tourists and elevator etiquette can be abysmal. You have to let the people OFF before you get on and many times I've had people board ahead of people that were there first. It reminds me of people who show up at WDW just as the bus pulls up and walk on ahead of the people waiting.
Can you post some examples of hotels that are cheaper and within walking distance of Times Square (that are safe and clean and not dumps, lol)? We have not decided where we want to be exactly, but I am looking up a ton of hotels. Thanks.

We have gone three times and yes we like to do the tourist stuff as well. We have stayed at the Doubletree Suites Times Square. It is right next to the TKTS booth/red steps in Times Square. We normally go off peak times so we usually only pay $250 per night. There are some other "Times Square" hotels that are cheaper if you are going during peak times. These are usually hotels that call themselves Times Square because they are a few blocks away. The Doubletree and Marriott are IN Times Square.

Other advice that others may have said as well
- plan your tours in advance, some do sell out or won't have the times you want to go
- Juniors - yes! Awesome cheesecake
- try to plan your Broadway shows in advance as well. The really popular ones sell out months in advance.
- 9/11 memorial is amazing - the new subway next to it is great to visit too
- Johns Pizza in Times Square

·Go to the Met—I love it, but as people have said, it will take a huge chunk of time. For a completely unique experience, I recommend the Tenament Museum instead. You usually need an advanced reservation. It can be combined with the Donut Plant and Economy candy instead of Dylan's.

· Go to Central Park—you can book a free tour that will cover a small area of the park. I've been on a few and they were well done.

· Visit Macy’s store (is it worth it?)—skippable, except for the windows at Christmas and the flower show in the spring.

· Visit Chinatown (is it worth visiting here?)—yes, even if you just walk around during the day to see what the shops have for sale. (I'm not talking about Canal St--that's a different subject, and not something I do.) We have fun just looking at the exotic veggies, etc. Try the green tea ice cream at the Ice Cream Factory.

Last edited:
Just wanted to tell the OP and everyone else thanks! I am taking my first NYC trip next month and these tips were very helpful :)

I'm watching this thread. We are going this summer. Already have tickets to Lion King and Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden. Haven't booked a hotel yet. We plan to get the City Pass for museums, Empire State Building, 9-11 museum, etc. We've used the City Pass in Toronto and Philadelphia and it's well worth it if you plan on going to multiple tourist attractions. Top of the Rock and a Statue of Liberty cruise are both on there. It's $122 for adults and $98 for kids through age 17. Six attractions total.
Lion King is AMAZING!

China town... I worked in midtown most of my 20 years here and we now very close to China town...so here is my advice. Take train to Canal street some will leave you on Broadway (N,R,Q,W) some closer to the start of China town (6). If you take the 6 you will have about a block and half walk to Broadway on Canal and likely have seen enough-- however if you have questions and truly want to see more PM me about it as I do not look at these boards much lately.... On Broadway you can make a Right and see Soho--if you stay on Broadway you can walk back to midtown and see a lot... it is around 2 miles maybe more but you will see NY in many different ways from busy to more normal back to busy, a nice walk with a lot to see, many stores, buildings, traffic, end parts of the village etc...if you make a left you will go towards the world trade center (a little under 1 mile walk it every day x2) on Vessy street Back on Broadway towards Wall street... this will bring you past city hall and a few nice buildings but mostly the walk will be not much to see until WTC and wall street... one of these would be my choice... BTW October is a great month to come to NYC... especially midtown.. a hot summers day and lets just say that is where the smells of NY comes from...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter