Pit-Bull's...friend or foe?

My mom is debating adopting a pit bull. She lives alone and I think she likes the idea of a crime deterrent/alert. She doesn’t want a true guard dog, but likes the benefit of a scary-looking dog.

We looked at one at the shelter yesterday. She seems super sweet but was showing aggression toward other dogs. It just makes me nervous. I don’t want her to get hurt and I don’t want her responsible for another dog get hurt. Our dog before this was a 7-pound chihuahua mix. This is a very different kind of dog!

Has the Pitt's jaw strength been tested and compared to all other breeds of dog, and can scientifically be proved? Just wondering. Does anyone know?

The main thing I've heard and read about the jaw strength of a pit is when they latch on to something/someone, it's nearly impossible to make them let go.

There's little doubt that with children, a bite can be elicited from the prey drive - the dog sees a child running, screaming and flailing, and their instinct is to go after it. Which is a big reason why there should be supervision around dogs and children and the dog under the owner's observation and control and at all times.

That's a very big point! I've no doubt that 'most' every pit that has mauled/killed a child/adult has been under the control of their owner up to that time. And, they haven't seen it coming, because of the loving gentleness of the dog - until it has snapped and done the unthinkable.
No way can they be 'controlled' by the owner at that point! That's the sad fact of what makes them so dangerous.

We know a couple very well that had a very loving - raised from a pup - pit for 5 years named Blue after his alma mater. They then had a child and did all the right things to make them all a family. All was great, the dog loved the baby and vice versa - until one day when the child was about 9 mos. and the pit suddenly snapped at him.
It terrified my friend so much that he gave his beloved Blue away to a good home rather than see his baby son ever threatened again. I admired them so much as I know what that dog meant to them.

No matter if an adult 'is' right there when children are around, there's not much you can do during an attack - it can happen so fast.

My mom is debating adopting a pit bull. She lives alone and I think she likes the idea of a crime deterrent/alert. She doesn’t want a true guard dog, but likes the benefit of a scary-looking dog.

We looked at one at the shelter yesterday. She seems super sweet but was showing aggression toward other dogs. It just makes me nervous. I don’t want her to get hurt and I don’t want her responsible for another dog get hurt. Our dog before this was a 7-pound chihuahua mix. This is a very different kind of dog!
That is not the type of dog, of any breed, that you want to live with. It's a constant worry and struggle that there will be an incident when walking outside or going to the vet's. (And the reality of liability.) Assuming your Mom is a little older, it might not be the right dog for her.

Special thanks to you and your mom for considering adoption, so many animals need homes, especially this time of year during puppy/kitten season!!

Do you know if your shelter does dog testing? No matter the breed, if your mom is looking for a friendly/easy to handle pup you guys should see if the staff can do a controlled dog meet to see how the dog she is interested in reacts to other dogs.

Keep in mind that kennel behavior is usually not the best picture of how a dog will be in a home, so getting the dog outside and away from the indoor kennel environment is the best way to get a dog to open up and see it’s true personality. Take your time, walk the dog, play ball, see how the dog behaves once it has drained some energy.

Good luck to your mom, I am sure the right pup will come along, no matter what breed that happens to be!!!

[
Has the Pitt's jaw strength been tested and compared to all other breeds of dog, and can scientifically be proved? Just wondering. Does anyone know?

https://petcomments.com/ten-dogs-which-have-the-strongest-bite/

There is another article that shows the Akita has the strongest bite. I don't know if its two different studies and they used different dogs or a manipulation of the information or not finding a reliable article. But none of the ones I found showed the Pit Bull to have the strongest bite.

I think its great that she wants to adopt a dog.

DS's yard got rolled with his blue pit there and able to get outside. She ran around and played with the ones doing the rolling. LOL They thought it was hilarious. So not a guard dog.

Prior to this dog he had a red nose pit. A neutered male. He was working offshore and not married at the time so asked if he could leave the dog at my Mom's. She had a fenced in yard and a huge dog house so we figured he could stay there and we would just take care of him from our house. Yeah, Mom was having none of that. She proceeded to go get the dog and bring him in her house. All 80 lbs of him. We worried a lot at first but he fell in love with my mom! She could walk him and he would walk ever so carefully at her side. He slept beside her chair in the living room and was very aware of anyone coming in the house. DS finally gave up and gave her the dog. He was the perfect dog for her. Much better than the Cocker Spaniel who almost drug her down when she was walking him.

That may have just been that dog. I don't know. But he made the perfect pet for an older person.

There are lots, and the information may be a little different with each one, but something like this seems to be about right that will give a good idea of some of the bite forces of different breeds. I like this because it has pictures and additional information about bites.

https://www.insidedogsworld.com/dog-bite-explained-top-20-dogs-with-the-strongest-bite-force/
There are lots, and the information may be a little different with each one, but something like this seems to be about right that will give a good idea of some of the bite forces of different breeds. I like this because it has pictures and additional information about bites.

https://www.insidedogsworld.com/dog-bite-explained-top-20-dogs-with-the-strongest-bite-force/
Great article...thanks! It looks like there are multiple dog breeds with far greater bite force than the Pitt.

I would pass up a dog that shows aggression to other dogs.

This is a site that is not reliable. She has an agenda. Google it and lots of articles will come up about this site.
Ok, I did as you suggested, but the main criticisms I see seem to be from pro-pit bull groups who have their own agenda. :confused3

I tend to go by what the American Veterinary Medical Association recommends, and they recommend the site.

https://www.avma.org/news/javmanews/pages/171115a.aspx

It was started by a woman who was attacked by a pit bull which had been involved in other aggressive incidents before. When you say she has an agenda, I'm not sure it's much different than anybody who's been negatively affected by something who wants to get word out to help inform others, such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving or any of the many other informative groups we see today started after something happens to them or their loved ones.

People can decide for themselves what information they want to believe after looking at all sides. I think it's good to see both sides of an issue before deciding anyway.

People should fully know what they're getting into when they get one of these dogs. I'll say the same thing for my own beloved breed too, the GSD. Not everyone should own one. It's why most GSD rescues will not adopt out to anyone who doesn't have experience with the breed and a fenced yard, training, no young children, etc.

Special thanks to you and your mom for considering adoption, so many animals need homes, especially this time of year during puppy/kitten season!!

Do you know if your shelter does dog testing? No matter the breed, if your mom is looking for a friendly/easy to handle pup you guys should see if the staff can do a controlled dog meet to see how the dog she is interested in reacts to other dogs.

Keep in mind that kennel behavior is usually not the best picture of how a dog will be in a home, so getting the dog outside and away from the indoor kennel environment is the best way to get a dog to open up and see it’s true personality. Take your time, walk the dog, play ball, see how the dog behaves once it has drained some energy.

Good luck to your mom, I am sure the right pup will come along, no matter what breed that happens to be!!!
It really bothers me that anyone thinks that this dog would be a good dog for Brink of Sunshine's mother, given what she's said about both her Mom and the dog. Naturally a dog immersed in the stress of a shelter is not going to be at its best, and more of its personality will come out over the weeks when he's settling in his home (which could go either way, btw - less or more aggression). But good God, a dog that's showing signs of aggression toward other dogs should be a pass! Especially when it's a dog known to be a pit bull or other bully breed, the potential owner has no experience with a dog like that but wants it for protection, etc.

It really bothers me that anyone thinks that this dog would be a good dog for Brink of Sunshine's mother, given what she's said about both her Mom and the dog. Naturally a dog immersed in the stress of a shelter is not going to be at its best, and more of its personality will come out over the weeks when he's settling in his home (which could go either way, btw - less or more aggression). But good God, a dog that's showing signs of aggression toward other dogs should be a pass! Especially when it's a dog known to be a pit bull or other bully breed, the potential owner has no experience with a dog like that but wants it for protection, etc.

I didn’t say I thought the dog was a good match for her mom. No where in my response did I tell her to adopt a particular dog.

I was giving her general advice on how to find her best match in a shelter environment.

I personally do not bring any dog into my home without witnessing a dog meet, it’s a important part of adoption/foster process, to know how your new dog will act around other dogs, no matter the breed.

I was sharing my experience and offering some advice. Not telling her what dog to adopt.

That is not the type of dog, of any breed, that you want to live with. It's a constant worry and struggle that there will be an incident when walking outside or going to the vet's. (And the reality of liability.) Assuming your Mom is a little older, it might not be the right dog for her.

That’s how I’m seeing it, too. I talked to her about it last night and voiced my concern that if the dog lunges at another dog she may not be able to control her; she insisted that she wasn’t worried about that. She also mentioned that because she doesn’t go to dog parks or plans to really have the dog around other dogs it wouldn’t matter (our chihuahua/terrier mix wasn’t good with other dogs, but being so little it didn’t worry us).

I’m personally hoping she passes on this dog.

No on the dog aggressive pit, tell her to keep looking, there are tons of "scary" dogs out there that will be better suited to her needs.

My mother had a 100lb lab/rottweiler mix for 15 years. Sweetest disposition ever, not a mean bone in her body. We called her "Satan's puppy" because she literally looked like a demon if she came running towards you in the yard at night. Which she did, because she looooovvvvvvvvvveeeeddddddd you, didn't matter who you were, she just wanted to meet you. Scared a lot of people away. Which was good, since my Mother lives out in the country by herself.

Mother would take the dog with her whenever she answered the door. If someone asked if her dog would bite, she'd just smile and say "Well, she's never bitten ME."

That’s how I’m seeing it, too. I talked to her about it last night and voiced my concern that if the dog lunges at another dog she may not be able to control her; she insisted that she wasn’t worried about that. She also mentioned that because she doesn’t go to dog parks or plans to really have the dog around other dogs it wouldn’t matter (our chihuahua/terrier mix wasn’t good with other dogs, but being so little it didn’t worry us).

I’m personally hoping she passes on this dog.

My 40 lb pit has no problem pulling my 250lb son around like a rag doll on leash. If she does decide to go with this dog; training, training, and more training.

Honestly, I'd be worried about her accidentally injuring your mother by pulling her off balance.

I didn't read that post as encouraging her to adopt that particular dog.

That said, I completely agree with your points about this not being a good match. Dog aggression is definitely not something an inexperienced older woman should be taking on. Even with a small dog this could result in injury. I'm young and strong but have shoulder damage from working with a dog-aggressive pit bull.

You are also correct that sometimes a dog's behavior will become worse in a home environment. This can be the case for some pits/bully breeds who bond closely with their people. Some may be extremely friendly with new people in a shelter or public setting, but once they bond with their family and become comfortable in their home some will become protective or wary of new people. We experienced this with a pit bull we had several years ago. In various places (rescue, groomer, boarding, etc) everyone went on about how she was the sweetest dog they had ever met and she had been like that at home with guests when we first adopted her. But after a few months, I did not feel comfortable trusting her with guests. And unfortunately she only bonded with three of the five of us so she eventually could not be trusted with two of our children either.

Another example that was fortunately more readily obvious was a 100lb American Bulldog we were considering adopting. We met her twice (once at a busy Petsmart event and once at a doggy daycare) and she was absolutely sweet and calm. Someone from the rescue brought her along while doing our home visit and she was super chill until they were about to leave and we all went and stood out in the front yard. Completely different dog-- very alert the whole time we were outside and began barking when a neighbor was walking (no where near the house). If she was already that protective her first time there, I knew she would just become more so over time as she bonded with our family.

I didn’t say I thought the dog was a good match for her mom. No where in my response did I tell her to adopt a particular dog.

I was giving her general advice on how to find her best match in a shelter environment.

I personally do not bring any dog into my home without witnessing a dog meet, it’s a important part of adoption/foster process, to know how your new dog will act around other dogs, no matter the breed.

I was sharing my experience and offering some advice. Not telling her what dog to adopt.
And I wasn't saying that you were. But it does happen - even in the case of the poster we were both quoting, as her Mom was still debating getting the dog, and presumably the shelter would indeed adopt it out to her. I suspect that this is a large reason why some dogs with problem behaviors wind up in unsuspecting homes - they are just desperate to place them to make room for other dogs, maybe even if it isn't the best situation for either the adopter or the dog, and the adopter may also be uneducated about or inexperienced with dog or breed behavior. Not all, obviously, but enough. And it can be a nightmare, as I've seen countless times.

I knew a somewhat older lady (60s) who wanted to get a companion dog for her setter. She found one at the shelter who they told her was a Lab, but she later realized was a pit. This poor lady lived with this dog for quite a while but the situation became intolerable because she could not manage the dog. Even her strapping male friend had difficulty walking and controlling the dog. The situation consumed her life because she felt terribly guilty and tried to make it work way longer than she should have. It made me angry to see the repercussions this lady had to live with because these people didn't have her best interests at heart. Even her veterinarian was very concerned. She wound up eventually having to give the dog back, but the stress had taken its toll (and she actually passed away shortly afterward). Not a good situation!

As I said here, it's happened to me, too, in trying to adopt. In one situation, rescue personnel at an adoption day were dishonest with us, saying the dog was not lap aggressive. Thankfully the foster mom overheard and quietly told us it wasn't true. And in the second instance, the shelter manager witnessed the dog we were about to take home bite my old dog, and ended the adoption right there saying it wasn't fair for our old dog to be tortured at the end of her life. We were thankful she was honest and had our best interests at heart, including our other dog. So there are some out there who do it right. But buyer beware.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter