Picking the Wrong Line at the Grocery Store

mmouse37

DCL Diva!!
Today I had the ultimate worst line at the grocery store. Anything that could delay the line happened....

Person paying had a pricing disagreement with the cashier, had to call someone over to fix.
Same person finally agrees with the total and asks the cashier if he has a pen. Cashier has to ask other cashiers for a pen. Someone walks one over and cashier hands it to the woman. She proceeds to dig through her purse looking for her check book. She writes, stops, looks at the total again, writes again, stops again, looks again, finishes writing. Cashier takes the check and looks it over for a full minute before running in through register. Cashier starts ringing up next person (ahead of me) and he has to be the slowest cashier in the world. Thank goodness there was a bagger (who kept waiting for things to come down the belt). Ok, that guy is done paying and its my turn. Oh, wait the cashier has to change the register tape of course. Then he has to call someone over to do a cash pull, then starts ringing me up very s-l-o-w-l-y. I am ready to pay with Chase Pay and have the app pulled up on my phone. He says I have to pay using the card swiper thing. I told him I think he has to use the hand held scanner because he has to scan the bar code on the app. He gets flustered and says he doesn't know how to do that. Ok, I understand it is a new form of payment at that store. Have to wait of course until a manager comes over to help him do it. Ok, done. Waiting for receipt to print. Nope, receipt won't print as the register tape is in wrong. He has to redo inserting the register tape. Finally, what felt like an hour later I was on my way.

Any one of those things can slow you down on any given day but having them all happen at once was crazy. I kept wondering if I was being punked LOL

Thanks for letting me vent.

MJ

Today I had the ultimate worst line at the grocery store. Anything that could delay the line happened....

Person paying had a pricing disagreement with the cashier, had to call someone over to fix.
Same person finally agrees with the total and asks the cashier if he has a pen. Cashier has to ask other cashiers for a pen. Someone walks one over and cashier hands it to the woman. She proceeds to dig through her purse looking for her check book. She writes, stops, looks at the total again, writes again, stops again, looks again, finishes writing. Cashier takes the check and looks it over for a full minute before running in through register. Cashier starts ringing up next person (ahead of me) and he has to be the slowest cashier in the world. Thank goodness there was a bagger (who kept waiting for things to come down the belt). Ok, that guy is done paying and its my turn. Oh, wait the cashier has to change the register tape of course. Then he has to call someone over to do a cash pull, then starts ringing me up very s-l-o-w-l-y. I am ready to pay with Chase Pay and have the app pulled up on my phone. He says I have to pay using the card swiper thing. I told him I think he has to use the hand held scanner because he has to scan the bar code on the app. He gets flustered and says he doesn't know how to do that. Ok, I understand it is a new form of payment at that store. Have to wait of course until a manager comes over to help him do it. Ok, done. Waiting for receipt to print. Nope, receipt won't print as the register tape is in wrong. He has to redo inserting the register tape. Finally, what felt like an hour later I was on my way.

Any one of those things can slow you down on any given day but having them all happen at once was crazy. I kept wondering if I was being punked LOL

MJ

I hate slow lines. But that’s when I grab a trashy magazine and read. :)

Today while running out to the grocery store to pickup a salad for lunch, there was one SUPER LONG line, and one express checkout with only one person being cashed out and she only had 3 items. Hooray, I get in the express lane thinking I will be in and out...and then said customer whips out like 30 lottery tickets to be checked. Whoever had the bright idea of putting the lottery in the express lane ought to be punched.

I often shop at the military commissary which has a single queue system. It’s a little daunting seeing one long line, but at least it moves pretty quickly AND fairly.

I'm rarely in a hurry. Slow moving lines at the supermarket don't bother me.

As for checks, I notice very few people using them anymore. The time lost with credit/debit card problems seems to be 10x worse than checks ever were.

My mother was notorious for picking the wrong line. Years ago we got into separate lines that appeared to be fairly even. I was already checked out and waiting for her before the cashier even started ringing her up. Among other things, the main problem seemed to be the people in front of her with an unusual piece of produce. Nobody could figure out the code or the price per pound. I think it was a manioc (yuca, cassava) but wasn't sure.

A couple of weeks ago I go to Wal-Mart, get the 6 things on my list, go through self-check in record time and I'm back at my car in about 10 minutes.

As I'm putting my phone in its dock, I see a text from DW asking me to get 1 more thing.

I go back in, grab the 1 more thing and go to the self-check area. Now closed. I go to get in line at the 1 register that's open (of course), and I'm 8th in line.

And the manager then come up with another cash drawer and goes through the cash out procedure on the 1 register that's open, which takes 11 minutes (I timed it).

After that and after the 7 people ahead of me, I buy my 1 more thing and drag my defeated butt back out to my car and drive home.

A couple of weeks ago I go to Wal-Mart, get the 6 things on my list, go through self-check in record time and I'm back at my car in about 10 minutes.

As I'm putting my phone in its dock, I see a text from DW asking me to get 1 more thing.

I go back in, grab the 1 more thing and go to the self-check area. Now closed. I go to get in line at the 1 register that's open (of course), and I'm 8th in line.

And the manager then come up with another cash drawer and goes through the cash out procedure on the 1 register that's open, which takes 11 minutes (I timed it).

After that and after the 7 people ahead of me, I buy my 1 more thing and drag my defeated butt back out to my car and drive home.

You’re a good husband. Happy wife, happy life. :)
Unless she was ticked off at you for taking so long to come home. :rotfl:

MJ

Where is Ludacris when you need him?

another perspective. the person who yells because the line is going so slow and then proceeds to pull out cash but low and behold he has change. counting pennies, nickels and dimes none of this is rolled, no bills just change.

I live in Florida and miss the self check outs we used to have at Stop and Shop 20 years ago. I think Publix refuses to get it due to their 'philosophy', which has really gone downhill lately. The other night, I stopped in for a few things while I waited for my kids to get finished with practice. There were two lanes open, an express and a regular. I had just over the max express items so went to the regular. There was a person paying. In back of him was a FULL shopping cart and two things on the belt, no customer in sight. I waited and the cashier just said that the person was coming. An employee (AKA the missing customer) comes over with a handful of more items and says a quick sorry and starts unloading her cart. The three of them (her, cashier and bagger) proceeded to laugh banter and ring and bag her order. I'm usually friendly and polite but I'm sure I had RB Face as I packed my order. I thought it was very unPublix like, as if the customer comes last. I shop there 2-3x a week and have noticed more little things, like getting chewed out by a bagger last summer. The cashier had shut her light off after I entered and was putting my things on the belt. I think the bagger thought I came in after that and started loudly reaming me that the cashier needed to go to lunch. The cashier tried to tell her to stop but she got louder. I started to realize she was special needs but still! She was grabbing my groceries angrily as she packed so I told her I would pack the order. She argued with me about me just packing the order until the cashier finally made her leave. Special needs or not, I had a $250+ order and didn't need to get yelled at and my groceries slammed. (And I have a friend who is special needs and works for Publix who is very sweet and I love how inclusive they are.)
Just give us the self checks already!

My grocery store (1/4 a mile away) has about 20 lanes, all with baggers, and about 8 self check out kiosks. Big orders, I do online and pick up in the parking lot, small orders are self checkout.

I live in Florida and miss the self check outs we used to have at Stop and Shop 20 years ago. I think Publix refuses to get it due to their 'philosophy', which has really gone downhill lately. The other night, I stopped in for a few things while I waited for my kids to get finished with practice. There were two lanes open, an express and a regular. I had just over the max express items so went to the regular. There was a person paying. In back of him was a FULL shopping cart and two things on the belt, no customer in sight. I waited and the cashier just said that the person was coming. An employee (AKA the missing customer) comes over with a handful of more items and says a quick sorry and starts unloading her cart. The three of them (her, cashier and bagger) proceeded to laugh banter and ring and bag her order. I'm usually friendly and polite but I'm sure I had RB Face as I packed my order. I thought it was very unPublix like, as if the customer comes last. I shop there 2-3x a week and have noticed more little things, like getting chewed out by a bagger last summer. The cashier had shut her light off after I entered and was putting my things on the belt. I think the bagger thought I came in after that and started loudly reaming me that the cashier needed to go to lunch. The cashier tried to tell her to stop but she got louder. I started to realize she was special needs but still! She was grabbing my groceries angrily as she packed so I told her I would pack the order. She argued with me about me just packing the order until the cashier finally made her leave. Special needs or not, I had a $250+ order and didn't need to get yelled at and my groceries slammed. (And I have a friend who is special needs and works for Publix who is very sweet and I love how inclusive they are.)
Just give us the self checks already!

For what it is worth, I agree with you about Publix going downhill. I swear that I live by the worst Publix in terms of service, EVER. Before we moved, my old Publix really was excellent from a customer service perspective. Everyone was attentive, there were always lines open WITH baggers and they monitored it and opened more if needed.

Fast forward to my current one...even on Saturday afternoon at 1pm, there are only 2-3 lines open, many people deep. Sometimes, there are no baggers. That is fine, I am a better bagger than 99% of them anyway. However, prices at Publix are not always the best and with the service I get there, I have been slowly shifting by shopping to other places. There are also other things. Employees do not know where things are and really don't try beyond the bare minimum to help you find it, etc.

I am also annoyed about the offer to bring things to your car. I understand if a person had a need for that help. Otherwise, it just takes away from the very few people they have at the registers anyway.

Walter:
You know what this is? This is the short line at Motor Vehicles.
Anna:
What?
Walter:
Sure! You know... you go to Motor Vehicles to get your license renewed, and you get on this line that reaches to Spain, and right next to it is this little short line with only two guys in it, but you figure something must be "wrong" with that line - otherwise everyone else would be in it - so you waste three hours!
Anna:
I got in the short line once. It was for farm vehicles.

I often shop at the military commissary which has a single queue system. It’s a little daunting seeing one long line, but at least it moves pretty quickly AND fairly.

I remember running queuing models in an operations class and in the majority of scenarios a single feeder line to a group of servicers (machines, people, etc) was the faster option.

I pretty much only use self-checkout unless I can't to (meaning items that have to go through regular checkout or I have a ton of items though we've been doing online order more and more for larger orders). I miss our self-checkout at Costco but at least they are fairly quick at ringing up in regular lines (though ALDI is super fast).

I avoid regular check out if I can. Normally I get stuck behind slow people, 50/50 shot the cashier will be slow, a person will be writing a check or they'll pay cash or they'll pay with multiple methods of payment, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter