Photopass CD Questions

ToodlesRN

Always Dreamin Of Disney
I just found out some brief information about the photopass cd and hoping that some of you can explain it more? From what I read that you can pre buy this CD for $99.99 what is the price if you buy it at Disnelyand? The thing I am confused about is the borders and such, do you have to do that in Disneyland or can you add the borders yourself from the website? It seems like a really good deal as last time we were in disneyland we spent alot $$ on single photo's.

Has anyone used this CD and liked it?

TIA!

editing as of May 29th

prices have changed. I'll add a comment at the end of this thread. Don't pay attention to the prices in my posts in this thread!!!!!!

Love the CD. :) Check out the ends of my non-solo trip reports linked from my signature, for examples of borders and things.

There are two kinds of CDs you can get, and three different prices. Simple, right? :lmao:

One CD is just the pictures. No editing unless you do it yourself at home using photoshop, etc. That, in the parks, is 59.95, and includes the photo release/license so that you can make prints at will for your personal use. Nice deal, considering how much other photographers charge for their releases, if they'll give 'em at all.

You go through your trip having pictures taken, then you go to the photopass (since you ordered pictures before I think you know where they are, on Main Street and at the Greetinsg from California shop in DCA) and order the CD. Of course, you might want to preview them on their computers. I mean, if you hate all the pictures, there's no point, or if you love only one, then you would want to at least know that, before plunking down the money. Then again, if it's a great one picture that you know your whole family will want, it might be worth having the release to make dozens of prints, rather than buying multiple prints from Disney, or having to find a photo printing place at home that will copy the one print you might buy at Disney.

OK, I have digressed.

There's that one level of CD. No editing, 59.95. There has been, the last two visits, a sign advertising the CD and 2 5x7 prints for 74.95.

The second level of CD is the kind where you make an account with photopass.com. When you get home (or during your trip, if you brought a computer) you put in the numbers from the card(s) you used during your trip, and you can see all of your pictures. When you know that all the pictures are there, you can start editing them. Cropping is an obvious one, but you can also put the borders and signatures on them. There were different borders in September than there were in December, and I'm sure they change a bit throughout the year. There's the one with Tinkerbell sprinkling pixie dust over the picture, and that was there both months.

You can crop, put a border...crop AND put a border...crop, put a signature, put a border...you can do all sorts of things. The original picture will ALWAYS stay there. Any editing you do is a copy. One picture can turn into quite a few versions!

In December, I decided to just put ANY border on every picture. My tastes vary, so something I find boring or ugly now might be something interesting later. Since it's better to put on a border to have it later and not want it, rather than to want a border later but not have done it...I went ahead and just had fun with the pictures.

Once you are done with that, you order the CD. Even if it takes up more than one, or two etc, CDs, they will send you as many as it takes.

Now, if you plan to get the CD, and you want the editable version, then you should pre-purchase it here. That is 99.95, and includes the shipping of the CD to you. You will be sent 3 emails when you pre-purchase it, and one will have a subject line including the words "DO NOT DELETE". Don't delete that. :) It contains your code.

So if you have pre-purchased it, once you are done editing and are ready to order (there is a time-frame on the whole thing...30 days to claim your photos online, 30 days after that to order the CD), you put the code in and it's all taken care of.

If you have NOT pre-purchased it, then it's 124.95.

The CD with editing, no matter how much you pay, also includes the release/license so you can print the pictures wherever you want, for your non-business use.

If you pre-purchase, then don't like the pictures, don't have any pictures taken, or whatever reason just don't want it, within 2 weeks of getting back from Disneyland, you can contact them and cancel the pre-purchase, and get a refund of the 99.95.

Thanks that was a great clarification of the cd!!
Some more Q's for you, so the second level cd for $75 may not be offered all the time? Is that price only offered once your in the park and can you print from that cd as well?

Oh, I think I might have goofed on my explanation of that one.

It's the 59.95 CD that can't be edited (but can be printed from at will when you're home) plus two 5x7s of prints at the park. Would probably be fun if you just can't wait, or maybe if you are visiting grandma on the trip and want to leave prints with her, and so on.

I don't know if it's all the time, but they had big signs about that deal on the desk at the photopass pick-up area, and it was there when I looked in both Jan and Dec. I didn't look in September, and during our trip in October of 2006 I don't know, because didn't know one little bit about photopass!

Firstly, thanks ToodlesRN for the question. I was unsure myself, yet for some strange reason too scared to ask on this one.

Love the CD. :)
There are two kinds of CDs you can get, and three different prices. Simple, right? :lmao:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I get it now, I really do.

I got a question! Say I buy the pre-paid $99 CD and it's mine to print out the pictures, I can take the CD to CVS or Wal-Mart or something and print them out there, right?!

It sounds like you will be able to as they release the rights so you can print, right?

How and where do you get the photo pass card? If you pre purchase do they post the card to you? Or does the photographer give it to you on your first photo?:dance3:

Yes you have the "release" right there on the CD (and you can print it out if they want that) so you have the absolute right to get things printed whenever and wherever you want!

The actual card is something you get from any photopass photographer. You walk in the gates, and there will generally be some khaki-pants, blue/tan vest-wearing, fancy-camera-holding people with big Photopass badges and such on. Walk up to one who isn't busy with another guest, say "I would like my picture here please". They will take a picture or 5 (some will just take a boring picture...others, like the one I met in December, will say "oh let's go over here for this nice shot" and you'll get something a little different). If you don't yet have a card, tell them so, and they will pull a card out of their pouch and scan it (that associates your pictures with that card number) and give it to you!

You can have multiple cards. Say you're a family of 2 adults and 3 older teens. You might split up in umpteen different ways during a day, so you each might want to hold on to a card, just in case you decide to have pictures taken. That would be fun, b/c maybe your 16 year old daughter will have a pic taken with Ariel, while your 17 year old son is being Goofy with, um, Goofy. And you and your spouse are having some romantic shot taken at the castle, while your 18 year old is in Mickey's house having pix taken with Donald Duck. :) Then at the end of your trip you just enter all those card numbers onto your account, and they are all together!

That's actually how "photopass shares" work, where you get a group of people together under one account, and every card is added to that one account. Later the account info is given to each person, each person goes in and edits their own pictures. And then the CD is ordered, and the recipient makes copies of the CD for each person.

The only thing you "get" when you pre-order are three emails. One saying "thanks for your order, we will ship it", one saying "we have shipped it", and another saying "DO NOT DELETE here is your code". They haven't shipped anything, it's just lazy "bookkeeping" in my opinion, that they have to send a shipment confirmation with something they aren't shipping. It makes people nervous!

Just to anticipate a question, there are NO ride photos included on the Photopass CD of any kind. Those are all to be purchased, at exorbitant prices, separately. I hear they have one attraction on Photopass at WDW, and that's Test Track, but none of them are on it at Disneyland.

By the way, for your frequent Disney'ers, if you have a trip within 30 days to both Disneyland and Disneyworld, you can use the same account and get your pictures on the same CD! Actually you might even be able to extend that time....get home, you have 30 days to "claim" your pictures, meaning that you have that time to enter your card numbers onto your account. So you get home from Disneyland and do that on the 29th day, but then, say, you have a 10 day WDW vacation in that next 30 days. Come home from that, enter those card numbers, edit, and order within 60 days from Disneyland...and I *think* I have the timing right on that....but you could have two of those vacations on the same card. But that's only for those who travel often. (and of course that works for those who go to Disneyland quite often...if I hadn't ordered my CD in December, I could have included this January trip of mine on the CD, silly me!)

I got a question! Say I buy the pre-paid $99 CD and it's mine to print out the pictures, I can take the CD to CVS or Wal-Mart or something and print them out there, right?!

I haven't tried getting prints made yet but I have read here that some people have run into resistance at some Wal-Marts.

I wonder if that is people copying from the copied discs from a "share"? Where they don't have the 'branded' disc? Also, when I was part of a share the leader couldn't get the release to copy over, so I wouldn't have that to show at a place that wanted it.

But since the release is right there as a file on the disc, I would imagine once they saw that they should stop being odd.

Then again, a friend of mine is fab at photoshop and did up some pictures of her baby for xmas cards, brought in the disc (which also had the plain pictures on it), and walmart almost wouldn't give her her disc back, and refused to give her the prints.

Moral of the story? avoid walmart. ;)

I wonder if that is people copying from the copied discs from a "share"? Where they don't have the 'branded' disc? Also, when I was part of a share the leader couldn't get the release to copy over, so I wouldn't have that to show at a place that wanted it.

But since the release is right there as a file on the disc, I would imagine once they saw that they should stop being odd.

Then again, a friend of mine is fab at photoshop and did up some pictures of her baby for xmas cards, brought in the disc (which also had the plain pictures on it), and walmart almost wouldn't give her her disc back, and refused to give her the prints.

Moral of the story? avoid walmart. ;)

I second that!

Bumbershoot...since you know alot about Photopass, just a quick clarification.
You can either purchase your photos on a CD (59.99) in the park which doesn't allow for "Disney editing", or you can prepurchase a CD for 99.99 which allows you to "Disney edit" your pictures within 30 days. Then all of the edited pictures will come on 1 to multiple CD's to you via mail? No prints are included with any of these CD's (except that 74.99 special) and you print these out at home, Walgreens, etc? Correct?
So you are paying $40 for the fun of editing them with Tinkerbell, borders, signatures and such? Just want to make sure how this whole process works.

And once you get your pictures, I imagine you can copy them to your computer, then you should have no problem getting them printed via WalMart (although I avoid them as well), Walgreens, Costco, etc. by uploading them through their website and having them printed that way? Just a thought?
Thanks for the terrific info!

By the way, I LOVE Bumbershoot as well....best time was the year they got Beck, Sheryl Crow, Foo Fighters, Blues Traveler, Joan Osborne and Paula Cole, and a Pearl Jam sideband Tuatara!
Jason

The back of the CD and a file on the CD have the release for printing. You are also allowed to make copies of that CD, which is strongly suggested once you get home so nothing happens to the original CD.
I've never had a problem at wal-mart simply because most of the people there don't speak english, and really don't care.

How do people go about paying the person who purchased the Photopass? Also, what's the most amount of different parties sharing a Photopass?

Can pictures of you on a ride be put on photopass? Is there a limit of the amount of pictures per photopass? Great information, I mentioned photopass to my DD tonight, but had no idea how it worked.

So, you can have your pix taken through the park and then pay $60 when you are ready to leave and see the pix to see that you like them? Orm do you need to buy it when you first get there before having your pix taken? I don't care about the borders, just want to keepe it as simple as possible. If you buy a CD only, do you have any online access later in case the CD is damaged on the flight home?

Can pictures of you on a ride be put on photopass? Is there a limit of the amount of pictures per photopass? Great information, I mentioned photopass to my DD tonight, but had no idea how it worked.

Ride photos are NOT included on the photopass. As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of pictures allowed.

No ride photos and no limit to the number of photos :) If need be, they will send you multiple CD's all for the price of one to insure you get all of your photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter