Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

I know Hamilton will be the first here with one and I'll be waiting for the "Hamilton" review. I'm the same way, I had the greasy D600 but find that I much more enjoy shooting with the smaller cameras. They're just plain fun. If the A7 its really under $2K with the kit lens, I might sell off some gear to try it. I don't want the 36mp.

Supposedly, the cheaper one also has phase detect AF. It sounds like the cheaper may be the better camera...

I'm too invested in a-mount glass on a limited budget to really consider switching. Though Sony may not give me a choice if they kill off the a-mount some day.

You know me well, Harry :)

I'll definitely be looking to pick one up as soon as possible, and hopefully that somehow falls in between now and my next trip in November.

I was just doing some shoots in our studio with the D800 and it occurred to me that it feels so ... outdated? ... after having used the NEX all last week. That EVF has really changed the way I shoot and I cannot possibly imagine rolling back on that.

Universal Studios Florida: Halloween Horror Nights 2013 by Hamilton!, on Flickr

Supposedly, the cheaper one also has phase detect AF. It sounds like the cheaper may be the better camera...

I'm too invested in a-mount glass on a limited budget to really consider switching. Though Sony may not give me a choice if they kill off the a-mount some day.

What's the word on the A Mount's future? I have recently switched over from E mount to A mount for a number of reasons. But my concern now is if I will be forced back into the E mount.

Don't get me wrong, E mounts are fine. But I find an SLT body to be much faster, easier, and more practical to use than my NEX body. I'd be interested in the Full Frame NEX's but then I'd need to reinvest in E mount glass.

Here's my beef... I love the A mount. Way more (and better) lenses to choose from that are generally much cheaper than E mount. Case in point: A mount 35mm f1.8 by Sony = $168. E mount 35mm f1.8 by Sony = $448. Both Sony made lenses that are 35mm f1.8 but the A mount is almost one third the price of the E mount.

At the end of the day I my SLT is much more enjoyable to use and cheaper to put glass on and I have more options for which glass I use. I'm sure the nicer NEX's like the NEX7 are great cameras too. I just like the SLT's. It would be a shame to lose out on the A mount.

What's the word on the A Mount's future? I have recently switched over from E mount to A mount for a number of reasons. But my concern now is if I will be forced back into the E mount.

Don't get me wrong, E mounts are fine. But I find an SLT body to be much faster, easier, and more practical to use than my NEX body. I'd be interested in the Full Frame NEX's but then I'd need to reinvest in E mount glass.

Here's my beef... I love the A mount. Way more (and better) lenses to choose from that are generally much cheaper than E mount. Case in point: A mount 35mm f1.8 by Sony = $168. E mount 35mm f1.8 by Sony = $448. Both Sony made lenses that are 35mm f1.8 but the A mount is almost one third the price of the E mount.

At the end of the day I my SLT is much more enjoyable to use and cheaper to put glass on and I have more options for which glass I use. I'm sure the nicer NEX's like the NEX7 are great cameras too. I just like the SLT's. It would be a shame to lose out on the A mount.

Nobody really knows. Sony is making a big push with the e-mount. They apparently are no longer going to make dSLTs, they pulled the dSLTs off big box retail shelves. There are rumors about a possible mirrorless a-mount camera next year, but who knows if Sony would want to support 2 parallel mounts.

While technically I could use a-mount glass on e-mount with an adapter, I'd lose image stabilization which is huge for me.

Nobody really knows. Sony is making a big push with the e-mount. They apparently are no longer going to make dSLTs, they pulled the dSLTs off big box retail shelves. There are rumors about a possible mirrorless a-mount camera next year, but who knows if Sony would want to support 2 parallel mounts.

While technically I could use a-mount glass on e-mount with an adapter, I'd lose image stabilization which is huge for me.

You think they would really just dump the A mount all together? Im hoping the mirrorless A mounts rumors are true. I really don't want to have to unload all my A mount stuff to switch to E mount.

If they discontinue the a mount then a lot of the prices go down via second hand or retail dumping stock. However some of the rarer glass will go up in price or at least not drop in price.

I guess if you lament missing any future advances in lens technology, this is bad. But on the other hand, what we know to be the best, currently, may be more affordable?

I don't know. It made sense in my head.

You think they would really just dump the A mount all together? Im hoping the mirrorless A mounts rumors are true. I really don't want to have to unload all my A mount stuff to switch to E mount.

I really don't know. They are now naming e-mount cameras "A"... They stopped selling a-mount in the big box stores. They even released a dSLR-form e-mount.
If a-mount goes mirrorless, the only differences between e and a, would be the actual physical mount and perhaps IBIS.
So Sony would need to decide whether to keep building a-mounts, which primarily would only appeal to legacy users (not a growing market).

Hopefully it's a transition Sony doesn't make for many years. But I wouldn't be shocked to see it sooner rather than later.

I really don't know. They are now naming e-mount cameras "A"... They stopped selling a-mount in the big box stores. They even released a dSLR-form e-mount.
If a-mount goes mirrorless, the only differences between e and a, would be the actual physical mount and perhaps IBIS.
So Sony would need to decide whether to keep building a-mounts, which primarily would only appeal to legacy users (not a growing market).

Hopefully it's a transition Sony doesn't make for many years. But I wouldn't be shocked to see it sooner rather than later.

Well the NEX line has always been called "Alpha" ever since the beginning. The a3000 was a mess. It was interesting in theory but poorly executed. A mini dSLR type body with an E mount had promise but didn't deliver. :/

If the A mount does go away I don't foresee it happening very soon. E mount simply does not have the lens coverage. A mounts do. In my opinion E mount lens line haS been very disappointing. And I'm personally not interested in being forced to use an NEX body because the SLT's have gone away. I have no interest in being forced to use my A mount lenses through an adapter.

Part of me wonders if I'm better off jumping ship to Canikon before investing in A mount any more.

Well the NEX line has always been called "Alpha" ever since the beginning. The a3000 was a mess. It was interesting in theory but poorly executed. A mini dSLR type body with an E mount had promise but didn't deliver. :/

If the A mount does go away I don't foresee it happening very soon. E mount simply does not have the lens coverage. A mounts do. In my opinion E mount lens line haS been very disappointing. And I'm personally not interested in being forced to use an NEX body because the SLT's have gone away. I have no interest in being forced to use my A mount lenses through an adapter.

Part of me wonders if I'm better off jumping ship to Canikon before investing in A mount any more.

It's always been alpha, but E-mount had been Alpha NEX, while A-mount was Alpha A. Such as NEX 7, vs A77. Now with e-mount using A-model numbers, it gives me pause.

Hopefully Sony views the a3000 as a failure and sticks to a-mount for dSLR type bodies.

As to lens lineup, look for Sony to very aggressively fill out the E lineup. For example, a 70-200 f4 coming soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter