Phone Books

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by disneychrista, Nov 10, 2018.

1. disneychrista

disneychrista DIS Veteran

We just got a new phone book, which went from the front porch to the recycle bin. Which got me thinking does anyone actually use old paper phone books? We get two different phone books and they both go in the recycle bin.

So my question is do you use a paper phone book? Do they still deliver phone books to your house?

2. dotfurio

dotfurio DIS Veteran

It's still delivered, but we toss it also. Now if I need a number I just look it up online. My mom (70s) still keeps hers around.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

We keep one old yellow pages. If we need something done and can’t get a recommendation we use the old yellow pages. We figure if the company is still in business and using the same phone number after 15 years they are probably somewhat legit.

5. SG131

SG131 DIS Veteran

Mine goes in the trash. Even my 69 yr old mom looks up numbers on her phone now. Maybe 70 is the cutoff! I know my 92 yr old grandmother used it before she passed away but that’s about the only person I know.

6. Mackenzie Click-Mickelson

Mackenzie Click-Mickelson DIS Veteran

We get them but they go in the recycling bin immediately. Come to think of it I should probably look to see if I can opt our house out of them.

7. dotfurio

dotfurio DIS Veteran

Your mom is a youngster! Mine's 76 ;)

8. wenrob

wenrob DIS Veteran

We opted out years ago. I haven’t used one in at least a decade. Probably longer.

9. CdnCarrie

CdnCarrie DIS Veteran

Don’t think they publish one here anymore.

10. kimblebee

kimblebee now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

I can’t remember if we opted out or if you have to opt in but we haven’t received either in a few years. I know my parents still get them.

11. verleniahall

verleniahall DIS Veteran

We get the at our chamber office, but they go to the recycle - we don’t have anyone ask for them and they take up space, PLUS - cell numbers aren’t listed qand a lot of businesses are going to VOIP numbers

12. Disneylover99

Disneylover99 DIS Veteran

This is weird.......... I was just thinking about the big phone books the other day and wondering if they still make them because we hadn’t received one in years. I don’t even know why that random thought popped into my head.

Then I heard a thump at the front door. I opened the door and there it was. Brand new. o_O

13. MrsJackSparrow4Life

MrsJackSparrow4Life DIS Veteran

We still get them (not allowed to opt out last I checked) and they immediately go in recycling or get used in the fire pit.

14. NYCgrrl

NYCgrrl DIS Veteran

Haven't received or used a new one in donkey years. They did make great paperweights to sponge spots on carpeting and rugs though.

WorldWacky likes this.
  15. AppleDumpling

AppleDumpling DIS Veteran

We get several every year, white pages and yellow pages, a thick one for the whole county and a smaller one for just our town. It really is a huge waste of paper. They should stop printing or only send on request.

LOL, funny memory from my childhood: in my family, we used them as booster seats. If a kid was too small at the kitchen table, they’d sit on a couple of phone books.

NAB and wenrob like this.
  16. NYCgrrl

NYCgrrl DIS Veteran

Yep.Grandparents and similar dinna have specialty goods for babies brought to their homes; they had phone books and bolster pillows! :cool:

17. mummabear

mummabear DIS Veteran

We haven't in years, here you can register to not have it delivered, I doubt t many people bother anymore

18. bananabean

bananabean DIS Veteran

If you get a phone book and throw it right into the recycle bin, you can opt-out of receiving it altogether and help save the environment:

https://www.yellowpagesoptout.com/

It’s a website run by the trade association for the phone books and will show you a list of what books you can opt-out of. If the book you get isn’t listed, there should still be an opt-out website or phone number in the book you receive.

19. Floridaman999

Floridaman999 Livin' the life

The last one I got was probably about 5 years ago. I don't think I opted out, but I think they just gave up.

20. dyna

dyna DIS Veteran

I guess I the odd one out here (nothin unusual about that) I do still use phone books once in awhile even the ones I brought from home when I moved 1,000 miles they aew several yrs old still come in very handy at times.

21. slpeters

slpeters DIS Veteran

I can't even remember the last time we received one--can't imagine I ever gave it enough thought to opt out of it though...