Petsitter shock!

We would pay over $200 for our two cats to go to a cattery for 10 days, so I don't think that's a bad price at all? :confused3

If I had a dog, I wouldn't leave them for 10 days unless they were in a proper kennel-shelter with regular walks, or had someone around a LOT to take care of them. I'd expect to pay at least $40/day for 5 animals, probably nearer $10 per animal per day as a minimum.

We budget the cost of the cattery into our vacation plans - it means we vacation less but we took them on with the responsibility of caring for them properly...and also mainly so that I can sleep at night without worrying about them :rotfl:

I also wouldn't trust my cats in the house for 10 days...they like and NEED to go outside (for their welfare and mine!!).

can the kids who walks th edog do the rest of the stuff for the other animals for say $20/day?

Don't you have a friend that can do it for you. We have 5 dogs and 2 cats and we usually get DH co-worker to pet sit we pay him $25 per day. There really are not too much work. You let them out a few times a day we have a fence in yard and feed them. And the cats just need to be feed once a day. When we take the dogs with us we usually have our friend come every other day to take care of the cats. They have a big water dispenser and a food dispenser she just gives them the wet cat food and cleans the litter box. Our pets hate the kennels.

Like I would take 4 cats to a kennel, LOL.

We took our one to a vet's kennel. Well worth it, too.

The dog gets his walk and loving by the neighborhood girl. Short visits have always worked for me.

I would just see if the neighbor girl can do the extra. Or maybe she has an older sister/brother, or knows someone else who can do the extra stuff. I always took care of our neighbor's dog when they were away, locked up and everything.

JJust hard to believe someone would pay an amount close to my monthly mortgage to have someone spend at most 10 hours taking care of their pets.

Well, you have a very very low mortgage! Keeping that in mind might help.

Also, might consider pet-sitting as a career, if people pay that. :)

My older cat had to have medication every day. I think I paid $4/day extra just for that. When I called the guy mid-trip to see how things went, he told me the cat that needed medication hid from him 2 of the days, so he didn't give her the meds:scared1: So, sometimes you don't get what you pay for.

You did say that 2 of the cats you have now would hide...cats are crafty. An ex of mine was asked to give a coworker's cat an injection each day while they were away, and it took upwards of an hour of trying hard to find the silly thing, each day. And that's with the two of us trying to find the cat.

I agree- I don't get the point of owning a dog if you are just going to leave them outside...why bother getting one at all?

:scared1: Seriously, you let the poop pile up for 2 weeks? That's really gross.:crazy2:

Our malamutes did enjoy being inside every so often (in their den with their pack), but they spent MOST of the day and night outside and loved it.

Dogs *are* animals with fur and all of that; depending on what sort of dog she has it might be just as well prepared for being outdoors as our dogs were. Even the llasa apso we had for awhile (we found him wandering on a highway, and a year or so later after we took him in he escaped from our yard never to be seen again...we had named him Gypsy b/c of the wandering he was doing when we met, and it seems it was an apt name) spent ALL day and night outdoors, he was not an indoor dog AT ALL. So it's not just big dogs.

We had a big yard, and while I don't know we went 2 weeks, I know we weren't outside picking up poop every day, either. It dries fast when it's warm (I doubt I would leave poop out living in rainy WA, but when we had the dogs I lived in CA) and is WAY easier to scoop up once its dry anyway. Wasn't gross, and if it got gross at any point it was easy enough to clean up quickly.

I also wouldn't trust my cats in the house for 10 days...they like and NEED to go outside (for their welfare and mine!!).

You must understand that probably the majority of cats in America are indoor ONLY. To talk about outdoor cats, even partially outdoor cats, is to basically request that people freak out on you. I grew up with outdoor-only cats who were well loved and cared for, who both had to (lest they kill my mom b/c of her asthma) and chose to (they hunted and ate what they killed) stay outside. 3 of the kittens the mama cat had (pregnant when she found us) were given to friends with property or barns, and lived natural lives full of mice and extra food from their humans, and the outdoor cats I have been around have seemed much happier than the indoor-only cats I know, including the one we had, who was a neurotic mess and constantly tried to escape...

Anyway, I understand cats that go outside, but you're not going to find many here who do.

You must understand that probably the majority of cats in America are indoor ONLY. To talk about outdoor cats, even partially outdoor cats, is to basically request that people freak out on you. I grew up with outdoor-only cats who were well loved and cared for, who both had to (lest they kill my mom b/c of her asthma) and chose to (they hunted and ate what they killed) stay outside. 3 of the kittens the mama cat had (pregnant when she found us) were given to friends with property or barns, and lived natural lives full of mice and extra food from their humans, and the outdoor cats I have been around have seemed much happier than the indoor-only cats I know, including the one we had, who was a neurotic mess and constantly tried to escape...

Anyway, I understand cats that go outside, but you're not going to find many here who do.

Yeah I know people freak. I freak at the idea of keeping kitty locked up in a house - to each their own ;) In all fairness, our cats are allowed indoors and are not "thrown out" the house; they sleep inside every night and can come and go as they wish.

So let me this straight. People are worried about the dog being outside while she is gone AND people are worried about the cats being inside while she is gone.

Good luck op. Lol

We use a pet sitter - they actually stay the night. They are licensed and bonded - a company we have been using for 5yrs now. They are fantastic... seeing what she charges, it is actually not bad at all. We tried using a "friend" once and it was a disaster. Thankfully we only had 2 cats at the time and were only gone 4 days. This way I know they are being taken care of. Good luck!

I would pay just about any price to keep my current pet sitter. We have used her for 4 years now. On my last vacation, my dog's cornea ruptured and had to have emergency surgery. She handled everything. She sends me texts with photos, updates on how they are eating, etc. I have one dog with severe separation anxiety and I could not vacation if I had to worry about him.

We just budget this cost in with the rest of our vacation costs.

Do you have a teen in your neighborhood who is reliable? I have a teen who has been taking care of our pets for 4 years now when we go away.

She charged $10/day for two visits. I now pay her $15/day (even if it is only half day I include it as she is so inexpensive.)

She is very reliable and if she can't make it, one of her parents will come.

Dawn

I'm sorry it is not what you are looking for. It does seem a little much to me too. If I wqs in your area, I'd do it for you.

My 4 cats and dog are $20 a day for a 30 min visit. The dog has a doggy door so she just needs someone to play with her. She doesn't like to go for walks with other people. I don't see why this lady costs so much! It's outrageous and I would keep searching. Good luck! I know it's hard to find someone with 5 animals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter