Petsitter shock!

torinsmom

<font color=red>I have someone coming to scoop<br>
So I need a petsitter for two days next week and then for our Disney trip August 10-19. I emailed someone I found on Craigslist to get a quote. She has 15 minute visits listed on her website as $15 plus mileage. I have 4 cats and a dog, but all they need is to be fed, get clean water and have the litter scooped. This is easily done in 15 minutes(takes me 8-10). The dog stays outside, and has a huge fenced in backyard, so he doesn't need to be let in and out. No medication or special needs. I did tell her to let me know how much it would be for the basic visit and then for one including a walk. I have a kid in my neighborhood who will walk the dog for $5/day, so I don't necessarily need a petsitter to do that.

Anyway, this is the response I got:

I have only been servicing around the &%^*(l area so forgive me for needing to look your address up. I am familiar w/ your area though now that I have map quested it :)

To provide the best/quality care for your family at cost much lower than others (including kennels) I am only going to offer my vacation daily rate at this time. I am not comfortable with attending to 5 animals in 15 min.
I am beyond detailed, enjoy the one on one with the pets along with walks.

As you could see in the Craigslist add:
Vacation daily rate='s Base $30 up to 2 pets. $3.00 each add pet.
Indoor plants, blinds, lights, garbage,mail included
Dog walk is included, lots of play & TLC...not going to run in and run out.

The 15, 30 & 60 min PAW-ty breaks are designed for owners who are in town.

From the info collected thus far...

$39 day rate
$ 3 day gas/mileage rate
------
$42 per day for 5 animals

$84 for 2 day
$ 5 key return

TOTAL $89.00 for 5 animals July 15 & 16th (2 days)

* Being a Children's Minister I will make sure we all say our prayers..Covered!

TOTAL $425.00 for 5 animals Aug 10-19th (10 days)

So, that is $425 for 10 days! I told her I would pass. IN 2009, I had a bonded pet sitter come and do everything for $15/day. I assumed $20-$25/day now max. I guess I need to search harder for her contact info.

And in response to my telling her I am not interested, this is her response....

$40 a day in my personal opinion is like getting 4 animals for free comparing others- add ons and kennels.

I understand your concerns and wish you well and pray the right situation for you comes along.

Happy planning and Have a safe Holiday

Like I would take 4 cats to a kennel, LOL.

For 5 animals, I don 't think her price is outrageous. And she seemd polite in her response. I don't think I would want someone to spend only 15 minutes checking in on and taking care of 5 animals. That's only 3 minutes per animal to feed, look over to make sure they are OK, clean up after and pay some attention to.

For 5 animals, I don 't think her price is outrageous. And she seemd polite in her response. I don't think I would want someone to spend only 15 minutes checking in on and taking care of 5 animals. That's only 3 minutes per animal to feed, look over to make sure they are OK, clean up after and pay some attention to.

I agree with this, she sounds very responsible and caring.

She was very polite. I'm not saying she wasn't. I just don't think even 30 minutes should cost $42. That's $84/hour, you know? My sister has petsitted for me for our trips the last 2 years, but this year she is going with us:cool1: Since I have the 4 cats, they keep each other company, and 2 of them will hide the whole time anyone new is there anyway:rotfl: The dog gets his walk and loving by the neighborhood girl. Short visits have always worked for me.

I don't think that was unreasonable at all. I pay $42 a day to kennel one dog. You sound like you want her to take care of all of those animals for next to nothing. Good luck with that.

The price sounds about right to me. A few years ago we paid $25 a day for someone to come take care of our pets while we were gone. Our puppy is going to be kenneled at our vet here in a few weeks. They charge $11 a day for a medium kennel. But that's just the dog, not the 6 cats too :scared1:

My petsitter would not do a single 15-minute break for my 2 dogs and a cat, either. Most petsitters I have looked at do a 2-visit thing for around $30. I don't think a 15-minute visit to care for an outside dog and several indoor cats is a good plan, either. And the petsitter has to be concerned that you will only want to pay for the one visit, but will be angry when you come back and find the pets unhappy or dirty or whatever.

I pay $65 a day for 3 - 30 minute visits, taking care of 2 dogs and a ferret.

What you posted was very reasonable as far as I can see and she sounded great too!

She was very polite. I'm not saying she wasn't. I just don't think even 30 minutes should cost $42. That's $84/hour, you know? My sister has petsitted for me for our trips the last 2 years, but this year she is going with us:cool1: Since I have the 4 cats, they keep each other company, and 2 of them will hide the whole time anyone new is there anyway:rotfl: The dog gets his walk and loving by the neighborhood girl. Short visits have always worked for me.

But it's not 30 minutes - she also has her travel time and expense, plus if she's a professional, she has overhead expenses as well (bonding, insurance, advertising, self employment taxes, license fees etc....) Plus when you're doing a one time gig vs. a regular every day gig, you're going to have a premium added onto that. I think her prices are fair for a professional, however it sounds like you were looking more for the pricing you would get with a neighborhood kid who can run over and do it in his spare time.
I think of it like lawn care. You can either hire a professional lawn service, who has a lot more business expenses and responsibilites or you can hire your neighbor's kid who's using his dad's mower and can do it during his summer vacation (if you don't mind doing it yourself the week he'll be away at camp). One route will cost you more than the other, but each way has it's own set of challenges and rewards. You just pick what works best for you.

Our area is not very expensive. It is $16.50/day to board a 50 lb dog around here. Who kennels cats?:confused3 The price she is quoting is a lot around here. Normal rates are $15 for the first pet and then $2-$3 each additional. Even at that rate, $27 would be the daily rate. I could get someone to stay in my house the whole 10 days for $400, seriously. I understand in a bigger city, that might be a normal rate, but not around here. She is not even bonded.

I feel for you! I'll be facing the same thing soon. My FIL usually does this for us but with his health situation, we're going to have to find other means.

If I lived closer to you, I'd do for you if you could do it for me when I go out of town. Wouldn't it be nice to have a petsitting type of club where we take care of each other's pets for minimal charge (gas, extras, # of days)? I know, I'm dreaming. ;)

My cats require minimal care....just change the litter and leave food and water in the bowls. I understand a petsitting service provides more responsibility; but, like torinsmom, I don't always need that extra care. *sigh*

Have you checked with your vet for other possibilities / other petsitters in your area?

Our area is not very expensive. It is $16.50/day to board a 50 lb dog around here. Who kennels cats?:confused3 The price she is quoting is a lot around here. Normal rates are $15 for the first pet and then $2-$3 each additional. Even at that rate, $27 would be the daily rate. I could get someone to stay in my house the whole 10 days for $400, seriously. I understand in a bigger city, that might be a normal rate, but not around here. She is not even bonded.

Then problem solved - go with the person that charges $27

Personally, I would just pay the neighbor girl who already walks more and have her feed them and check on the cats. I too think her rates are outrageous since your cats don't require anything but a scoop of food and cleaning the box. We pay $14 a day to board the dog at the vet. If nothing else, board the dog and have the neighbor girl feed the cats and clean the box.

good luck with finding someone to work for next to nothing!

My petsitter would not do a single 15-minute break for my 2 dogs and a cat, either. Most petsitters I have looked at do a 2-visit thing for around $30. I don't think a 15-minute visit to care for an outside dog and several indoor cats is a good plan, either. And the petsitter has to be concerned that you will only want to pay for the one visit, but will be angry when you come back and find the pets unhappy or dirty or whatever.

I mentioned in my email how long it takes me, but told her to give me a quote for how long she thought it would take. I don't need 2 visits a day, never have. I wouldn't even do every day if it weren't for the dog. The cats have self feeders and waterers, and just need the litter scooped, and to make sure they are not sick. If my cats get dirty, I don't expect her to give them a bath:rotfl: They are inside, so I don't know how they would get dirty. They are going to be unhappy when I get home, no matter how long someone spends with them, because they always pout to punish me, LOL. It will be my fault and noone else's.

I pay $65 a day for 3 - 30 minute visits, taking care of 2 dogs and a ferret.

What you posted was very reasonable as far as I can see and she sounded great too!

That's 3 visits though; I just need one.

But it's not 30 minutes - she also has her travel time and expense, plus if she's a professional, she has overhead expenses as well (bonding, insurance, advertising, self employment taxes, license fees etc....) Plus when you're doing a one time gig vs. a regular every day gig, you're going to have a premium added onto that. I think her prices are fair for a professional, however it sounds like you were looking more for the pricing you would get with a neighborhood kid who can run over and do it in his spare time.
I think of it like lawn care. You can either hire a professional lawn service, who has a lot more business expenses and responsibilites or you can hire your neighbor's kid who's using his dad's mower and can do it during his summer vacation (if you don't mind doing it yourself the week he'll be away at camp). One route will cost you more than the other, but each way has it's own set of challenges and rewards. You just pick what works best for you.

She's not bonded and insured, and she advertises on Craigslist and FaceBook. I know I'm not reporting what I pay a petsitter, so I doubt she is paying self employment taxes. She lives 5 minutes away and is charging me for mileage already. In the past, I have gotten bonded, insured pet sitters, not neighborhood kids, for $15/day. This was even when one cat needed daily medication. Last time was 2009, so I figured $20-$25. I don't give kids keys and trust them to lock up and all that. The one who walks the dog when I'm gone can do all that without having access to the house.

Just from looking at Care.com for pet sitting jobs, people post they are willing to pay $10-$15/hour. I have applied for several and not gotten a call, so I am assuming people don't have a hard time finding someone to pet-sit for that around here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter