Punkrockbebop

Namaste! Be excellent to each other.
We are staying at the Polynesian this week and I went to Captain Cooks to get my meatballs last night. When I tasted them, I thought, wow, the quality has really gone downhill. There was hardly any coconut milk in the lesser quality rice (I think it was parboiled), and the meatballs were dense with more filler and the sauce was not as good as I remembered. It tasted like hospital cafeteria food, to be honest. I don’t want to jump the gun, here, but I’m wondering if Disney made big budget cuts on some of the food, especially the quick service options. We’ve noticed the reduced menus, for sure.

Pete should go to Captain Cooks and review the current meatballs. I’d be so interested to see his take on them.

We are staying at the Polynesian this week and I went to Captain Cooks to get my meatballs last night. When I tasted them, I thought, wow, the quality has really gone downhill. There was hardly any coconut milk in the lesser quality rice (I think it was parboiled), and the meatballs were dense with more filler and the sauce was not as good as I remembered. It tasted like hospital cafeteria food, to be honest. I don’t want to jump the gun, here, but I’m wondering if Disney made big budget cuts on some of the food, especially the quick service options. We’ve noticed the reduced menus, for sure.

Pete should go to Captain Cooks and review the current meatballs. I’d be so interested to see his take on them.
I wish somebody would “discuss” how the entire last year is a process in changing Disney guest behavior . Never thought we all would be recommending ubers or car rentals to increase the relaxation on a vacation... never thought I would absolutely make a grocery store delivery to survive the reduction in QS choices... never thought we all would be making excuses for our Disney decisions Including
choosing/adding Universal Studios to be a bigger part of my Disney vacation. But I also worry that I am seeing a mean streak in Mickey. That feeling is the most upsetting for me. I don’t want to have that feeling in my Disney heart.

I wish somebody would “discuss” how the entire last year is a process in changing Disney guest behavior . Never thought we all would be recommending ubers or car rentals to increase the relaxation on a vacation... never thought I would absolutely make a grocery store delivery to survive the reduction in QS choices... never thought we all would be making excuses for our Disney decisions Including
choosing/adding Universal Studios to be a bigger part of my Disney vacation. But I also worry that I am seeing a mean streak in Mickey. That feeling is the most upsetting for me. I don’t want to have that feeling in my Disney heart.

I know what you mean. Last night we took a bus home from Epcot and half the guests had their masks pulled all the way down. We won’t be doing that, again. Ubers only, and even in an Uber we took we had to ask the driver to pull their mask up. The reception at the Poly was not great, when we went into the check in at Pago Pago to check on something, we weren’t acknowledged at all, and they didn’t give us leis, even though we saw a blogger get a lei wrapped in plastic. I brought wipes and I wiped every single thing in the room, and we were very disappointed with the “enhanced” mousekeeping because those surfaces sorely needed cleaning. And also the reduced hours for quick service and the restaurants make it harder to get food and there are less gluten free options. We have managed our expectations, so we expected reductions, but it would have been good to have some more information so we could have planned a little better.

We’re trying to take it all in and take it in stride. And we’re still super happy to be able to be here. We’ve got to expect some paring back, as they’ve lost billions due to COVID. I just didn’t know what to expect, exactly. I would have loved if one of the vloggers would have reported some things like the reduced food options and hours. It is a little sad, but there’s a lot to enjoy, still.

Today we did the Festival of the Arts and the food there at the booths was good, and Regal Eagle still maintains its quality.

We went to Magic Kingdom this evening and the confectionery had many less options at the counter. They advised to get there earlier in the day before things run out. Apparently the bakery can’t produce as much because they have a small kitchen and they need to socially distance. This Is a good thing to know about ahead of time if you care about getting confectionary treats.

We could not help but notice that the merchandise in the stores everywhere we’ve gone so far was more pared down than in the past. I don’t know if anyone else had the same experience? Maybe it’s just our perception.

Another thing that is strange. They keep piping in the water pageant music at night, but we can’t see the water pageant. But yet a vlogger we follow was here a few weeks ago and took footage of the water pageant from her balcony. We are in the same longhouse she was in, on the top floor. I hope they haven’t stopped running it! I have to find out what’s going on.

Can some people please stop going? You choose to spend this money, but you complain about the price. Yes, Chapek is a piece of work, but this is your decision.

Who is complaining about the price? I’m confused.

Who is complaining about the price? I’m confused.

Off to Neverland ...noted that we all keep paying for this. Which is true. The more we hand them our money, the more it justifies in Chapek's mind that these are all great decisions. And right now, based on some streams I've seen, business is as good as I've seen it.

We’re trying to take it all in and take it in stride. And we’re still super happy to be able to be here. We’ve got to expect some paring back, as they’ve lost billions due to COVID. I just didn’t know what to expect, exactly. I would have loved if one of the vloggers would have reported some things like the reduced food options and hours. It is a little sad, but there’s a lot to enjoy, still.

Today we did the Festival of the Arts and the food there at the booths was good, and Regal Eagle still maintains its quality.

We went to Magic Kingdom this evening and the confectionery had many less options at the counter. They advised to get there earlier in the day before things run out. Apparently the bakery can’t produce as much because they have a small kitchen and they need to socially distance. This Is a good thing to know about ahead of time if you care about getting confectionary treats.

We could not help but notice that the merchandise in the stores everywhere we’ve gone so far was more pared down than in the past. I don’t know if anyone else had the same experience? Maybe it’s just our perception.

Another thing that is strange. They keep piping in the water pageant music at night, but we can’t see the water pageant. But yet a vlogger we follow was here a few weeks ago and took footage of the water pageant from her balcony. We are in the same longhouse she was in, on the top floor. I hope they haven’t stopped running it! I have to find out what’s going on.

The water pageant schedule on the website was wrong at the end of Jan at the Poly. It was all one hour earlier than posted. Lots of people including myself wasted like 45 minutes on the beach hearing the music but seeing nothing. Turns out you can just hear it from other resorts.

This! I have always sung the praises of WDW for level of quality and service-including the "extras" . So much to see if you just walked around and saw all the entertainment! Except for the pop up parades, this is all no more. I especially miss the entertainment in AK and Epcot World Showcase. Quick Service has gotten so much worse-I never realized I would miss the fixings bar at quick service places as much as I do, although I certainly understand the reason they were taken away. I didn't see a reduction in the cleanliness of the place last fall, and I am so worried that may be in our upcoming June trip!

Maybe we should have a I am a Disney Addict conversation.
All of my thoughts boil down to This and I just might have to remind every poster that is trying to figure out their actions and emotions.
It feels like a joke but do we really need to know and start planning
2023 Calendar for Park Entrance Pass .

Last edited:
In fairness to Disney I have always felt their bus transportation to be slow, so for us we stopped taking it a long time ago as having our car there is a lot more convenient. I think dining is still great on property if you know where to go (it’s always been like that with hits and misses across property) We haven’t felt or even realized the reduction in QS if that’s happened. We’ve been 4 times during COVID and have had a great experience each time with the reduced crowds. Stayed at the fort, swan/dolphin twice and riviera.

Last edited:
maybe Pete will address this thread on the show today. I would love to hear his take as well. Although this "subject" is wide and has been discussed. It seems folks are indeed getting more and more discouraged, yet we continue to go. Are we getting closer to the "last straw"??? Tipping point?

maybe Pete will address this thread on the show today. I would love to hear his take as well. Although this "subject" is wide and has been discussed. It seems folks are indeed getting more and more discouraged, yet we continue to go. Are we getting closer to the "last straw"??? Tipping point?
My tipping point is when they price a week at Disney close to the price of a week in Europe, and it's getting closer. Price was beginning to be a consideration pre-covid without all the cuts. Adventures by Disney and Disney cruises (only been on one and loved it!) will be much more attractive for the cost to me, who has their 11th trip to WDW scheduled for June. Go with another just as reputable tour company, and the price is even more attractive. I want to see some places I've never been. Maybe work in Disneyland Paris if I go to France, though!

To be honest I moved here... I am in Celebration... I just want the conversation to expand so we can understand And make better decisions for our children. Is it healthy for a child to grow up in the yearly automatic family vacation to Disney ?
The original EPCOT trip visiting the countries that had the films was an opportunity for families to think about foreign travel . And a dream someday passport.
Disney introduced the story about exploring an island via canoe or raft and steam powered boats powered by a giant paddle wheel. Even a trip around the MK via trains is quite possibly a new experience. And the future was just a monorail trip away. We can still learn about past and present future with our visit to Disney but I would hope it inspires families to not automatically go to Disney. Unfortunately many families enter China and France but turn around and exit if the movie is a 5 minute wait. I suspect many that enter American Adventure , don’t even know there is more upstairs , if they can just wait .So many turn around and exit the same way they come in. Please don’t make Disney just a theme park ... It can be a destination that is not only fast paced fun but whisper that needs to be explored . That is what I grew up with And that is what my grandchildren are growing up with too. It is still possible to be so inspired by a Disney trip.

Tipping point is an interesting term. I was only introduced to it recently in a criminology class in my former Phd program. I mean, it's a term, but the fact that you used it outside of criminology's very interesting. There is a very certain, but at the same time, ambiguous "tipping point." In terms of crime, it is a statistical phenomena. In terms of Disney, much less so. In fact, I don't think it exists.

Unfortunately many families enter China and France but turn around and exit if the movie is a 5 minute wait. I suspect many that enter American Adventure , don’t even know there is more upstairs , if they can just wait .So many turn around and exit the same way they come in. Please don’t make Disney just a theme park ... It can be a destination that is not only fast paced fun but whisper that needs to be explored . That is what I grew up with And that is what my grandchildren are growing up with too. It is still possible to be so inspired by a Disney trip.

So true ...it's basically the devaluation of education. Or the simple lack of understanding that learning can be enjoyable. My kids are older now but the educational element of a trip to Disney was always part of the focus. Although "inspired" might be too strong a word -can't deny I "encouraged" them onto a few attractions... LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter