• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Peru: Sacred Valley and Incan Cities Meets Thread

If you are doing pre-days I would do the abd hotel as you then get the transportation which is key in arriving in Lima. I would say not as much for the post stay. We took it easy our pre day and visited the pyramid. I've also heard good things about the light show. As most flights arrive at 11 or 12 pm I recommend a pre day.

We booked our trip a couple of weeks ago and added an extra night on the front as our flight gets in late at night. If you do the add on through Disney they will still pick you up at the airport.

The price that ABD charges for the hotel in Miraflores is almost double what it would cost if you booked it yourself. You can take a taxi from the airport for 60 soles (about $22) or a private car for around $40. We arrived in Lima a day early and I paid ABD's higher price for the room and then the driver didn't pick us up at the airport and I had to take a taxi anyway. Of course, you never know when something will go wrong, but in hindsight I wouldn't have paid the inflated price for the hotel room and I won't do it next time.

Bobo - sorry to hear that. But when we did this for our trip a few weeks ago, the pricing was roughly the same as I could do direct. And it made it easier to ensure the same room for both nights. They had a service person meet us, arrange for a luggage porter, and take us to our transport bus. She then went back to do the same thing for the next flight. So maybe they learned from your experience and modified their approach.

I hope they did. The room we were given at Casa Andina is $149 on the hotel website ($163 with tax). ABD charged us $323. After the meet and greet with the guides on day 1 of the tour, we went back up to our room a little after 11:00AM and our key card no longer worked. We had to go back to the front desk where they told us we had been automatically checked out when the reservation went from my name to ABD. Basically, nothing went right the first day. :sad1:

Thank you for that update Bobo, hopefully this year is better, We booked 2 rooms for one prenight and I see it is one hundred dollars higher than if I booked it myself, one the website. but perhaps after all the taxes and fees and taxi fare it would be about the same? Our flight arrives at night, like most Lima flights, 10:20 pm, I am predicting by the time we get through customs it will be close to midnight. It will be nice to be picked up at midnight by someone familiar.

Also, our departure flight is at 11 pm, what is the Lima airport like that late, is the food court open and reasonably clean and nice? Did you feel comfortable there or should I spring for some club passes?

Thanks, Michelle

Thank you for that update Bobo, hopefully this year is better, We booked 2 rooms for one prenight and I see it is one hundred dollars higher than if I booked it myself, one the website. but perhaps after all the taxes and fees and taxi fare it would be about the same? Our flight arrives at night, like most Lima flights, 10:20 pm, I am predicting by the time we get through customs it will be close to midnight. It will be nice to be picked up at midnight by someone familiar.

Also, our departure flight is at 11 pm, what is the Lima airport like that late, is the food court open and reasonably clean and nice? Did you feel comfortable there or should I spring for some club passes?

Thanks, Michelle

Our departure was late too. The airport was busy and all the shops were open. I felt completely comfortable. Fortunately, it was a total 180 from the late night arrival.

Thanks, Michelle

Michelle,
We are also arriiving at 10:20pm on the 23rd, so maybe we'll be on the same flight. We'll be the very tired family coming in from London. Right now we have the Hilton booked for that night, but I'm thinking about changing it to the ABD hotel. We were given a quote of $509/night to add the hotel with ABD, but we can book two rooms on our own for only $306/night. It's a little more than the Hilton, but I like not having to drag our luggage to another hotel the next morning after a very long travel day.
Michelle

It will be nice to have the extra night to sleep. I checked the airport hotel but they seem to be booked up, at least that would have been convenient. I am glad to be at the Miraflores. I am looking at a short bike tour around for some exercise and dinner at the pyramid. I hear it is nice.

I’ve been watching December Peru fare for a while now. It’s come down $300 but for the last two months it’s only varied by $20. I know it’s a little early but I’m afraid if I wait too long the holiday travel will get me. Not necessarily to Peru but the flights to hubs (DFW,IAH etc) every holiday traveler goes through. Any advice/opinions? Thanks.

SeaPic,

We will be on the December Peru trip too but unfortunately can't offer much advice on booking air. We booked through ABD (Costco) when we booked the trip and probably paid more but frankly got better connections than it appeared we were going to be able to do on our own (at least at the time). We will go through Houston on the way down and Newark on the way home.
We are really looking forward to the trip ... also our first ABD! :banana:

Did anyone notice they changed the Lima hotel to the JW Marriott? It's on the website but I haven't gotten any notification. Just wondering if this will be for all trips from now on.

Did anyone notice they changed the Lima hotel to the JW Marriott? It's on the website but I haven't gotten any notification. Just wondering if this will be for all trips from now on.

I think that will be a big improvement. It is a better location than the old hotel. The Casa Andina is nothing special, IMO.

SeaPic, We will be on the December Peru trip too but unfortunately can't offer much advice on booking air. We booked through ABD (Costco) when we booked the trip and probably paid more but frankly got better connections than it appeared we were going to be able to do on our own (at least at the time). We will go through Houston on the way down and Newark on the way home. We are really looking forward to the trip ... also our first ABD! :banana:
I just went through ABD as well. I freaked out when all the fares doubled overnight. Luckily the alternate flights I had my eye on were only $20 more. The agent was really great about looking for options.

I just went through ABD as well. I freaked out when all the fares doubled overnight. Luckily the alternate flights I had my eye on were only $20 more. The agent was really great about looking for options.

Glad it all worked out for you. Now it's just a matter of waiting!

My husband and I have booked the September 23, 2015 Peru ABD! This will be our first ABD trip, and I am insanely excited!

My husband and I have booked the September 23, 2015 Peru ABD! This will be our first ABD trip, and I am insanely excited!
Congrats on your first ABD, kaceyisme! I always warn folks, though, ABDs are *highly* addictive, so it probably won't be your last! ;)

We have several people on this Forum who have taken the Peru trip and really loved it. It's definitely on my short list!

I've added you to the Roll Call on the first post.

Sayhello

Congrats on your first ABD, kaceyisme! I always warn folks, though, ABDs are *highly* addictive, so it probably won't be your last! ;)

We have several people on this Forum who have taken the Peru trip and really loved it. It's definitely on my short list!

I've added you to the Roll Call on the first post.

Sayhello

Thanks for the welcome :)

13 days and counting!!
We have had our typhoid and Hep A vaccines. Anybody get the Immunoglobulin shot? I read on CDC website that it is recommended for us "older adults" over 40 ;). Our kids are teens so are covered already with just the vaccine.
I am bring DEET, pepto bismol, and azithromycin as well.
Considering Diamox tabs.

Anybody have any recommendations about meds or vaccines to South America or other such places?

13 days and counting!!
We have had our typhoid and Hep A vaccines. Anybody get the Immunoglobulin shot? I read on CDC website that it is recommended for us "older adults" over 40 ;). Our kids are teens so are covered already with just the vaccine.
I am bring DEET, pepto bismol, and azithromycin as well.
Considering Diamox tabs.

Anybody have any recommendations about meds or vaccines to South America or other such places?

We went to a travel clinic before our trip and got the Typhoid and Hep A. In addition, they gave us antibiotics "just in case" to take with us in the event we had digestive issues with the food etc. (take that & immodium together).

I also got the Cipro for potential altitude sickness - but the family didn't. They said the coca tea that is everywhere really helped with that.

I'm over 40 and they didn't recommend the immunoglobulin.

13 days and counting!! We have had our typhoid and Hep A vaccines. Anybody get the Immunoglobulin shot? I read on CDC website that it is recommended for us "older adults" over 40 ;). Our kids are teens so are covered already with just the vaccine. I am bring DEET, pepto bismol, and azithromycin as well. Considering Diamox tabs. Anybody have any recommendations about meds or vaccines to South America or other such places?

I took Diamox tabs and never had a problem with altitude. No need to bring DEET, the guides will have it as well as sunscreen available for all. We also took Immodium as well as an antibiotic to have on hand just in case, but did not need it. Several in our group had mild intestinal bugs, but Immodium did the trick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter