Personal Fan suggestions

joyjoy

DIS Veteran
I've read several recent trip reports and then checked out Amazon and others about those around the neck, USB chargeable, personal fan things. People really seem to find that the air blowing on their masked face makes a real difference in comfort. Any experience here? Amazon has a billion of them so I question the reviews there.... Anybody have a preference? TIA

I am wondering about those too. I see a lot of people wearing them at Disney . Are they safe to wear on attractions like Tower of Terror or RocknRoller Coaster ? Actually wonder about Universal Studios also...
And how about those reflective sun umbrellas ? How awkward to actually use in above circumstances
and/or worrying about jabbing somebody in eye . Well that would keep them 6 ft away, maybe.

https://www.amazon.com/control-futu...ild=1&keywords=neck+fan&qid=1596031889&sr=8-3
this is the one that my family bought for our upcoming trip!
I have used it (just briefly at my nephew's baseball game outside) and it was pleasant.
There are three different speeds and it lights up!

i'm not sure if i needed to charge it upon removing from the box, but i was so excited to try it out that i opened it up from the packaging and started using it.
with that being said, it only lasted about 1.5 hours..so i am hoping that once i full charge them they last longer. it was advertised to last up to 12 hours on low fan, and about 5 hours on high.

it isn't too big of a deal if they don't as they come with a small charger that i plan on carrying in my bag everyday. my DBF brings a large portable battery pack that can charge multiple devices at one time so we will be set.

other than this type of fan, i have used the fans that disney sells that spray water (that are kind of large and clunky) along with the tiny portable fan that sprays water. I also have a fan that plugs into my iPhone..that one is kind of silly but i guess it works?
out of those four, i definitely like the neck one the best so far!

i haven't worn it in the parks yet but i can't imagine it being secure on a ride like ToT or especially Rnr. You can 'tighten' the band to place it a bit more snug around your collarbone but i wouldn't trust it.
so i will be stowing it in my bag/the lockers at universal!

We have two stroller fans, one for the kid and one I clip the the handlebar for me. This trip with masks they were so mich harder to cool with. It’s odd how much I like being able to cool my whole face, just the forehead wasn’t effective and actually frustrating for me. Instead I found myself unclipping it and holding it to the back of my neck to cool me down that way. Even the ones around your neck look easy to fly off on a ride so I would plan to stow them in a bag while on rides.

Opolar fans!! I love them. I use them for hot flashes at home and every where I travel.

They have many styles. I love the hand held fans, the table fans, the neck fan and the fan that goes under the shirt.

I have tried other brands, and I find this brand to be the best. The longest battery life, extra batteries, most air flow and light weight.

Thanks! I was not aware of that thread, there is some good info. Regarding the frog togs... honestly, they did nothing for us. I mean, if we got them wet (we seem to always be at WDW in August or Sept), they are s o r t o f c o o l for like, five minutes. They are bulky to carry and gross to wet in the bathroom. THAT SAID, I have now purchased a "cooling" neck gaiter that I might try as a cooling towel. I know they're not approved as a face covering, but it's much lighter and might actually work as like a headband or just a neck towel. We shall see.

Opolar fans!! I love them. I use them for hot flashes at home and every where I travel.

They have many styles. I love the hand held fans, the table fans, the neck fan and the fan that goes under the shirt.

I have tried other brands, and I find this brand to be the best. The longest battery life, extra batteries, most air flow and light weight.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check them out. I can't see myself whipping out a hand-held unless we're sitting down somewhere, but who knows? Under the shirt?? Sounds delightful as far as comfort goes, but do you experience a nice big billowing effect around the mid-section? :poop::P

You might like the neck fan, it's easy to wear. The second fan level is a little loud, but it's never bothered me.

The waist fan, is easy to wear. you can adjust it so the air goes up your shirt and then goes out the top. I love v neck or loose neck shirts, so I have no issues with any billowing effect! I have a large "chest" so I was worried that my boobies would impede the flow to my neck. It worked well :)

I love the hand held styles. They have some that will fold down, so you can put them on a table while you eat. I keep one in my cross body at all times. The high setting is quiet and I do not mind holding it.

Just rec'd my neck fan yesterday. Haven't used it in the parks yet, obviously but here are my initial thoughts:
It's a better quality than I expected for $12.99. Feels sturdy. Bending parts don't feel flimsy. Seems like they will continue to hold their place after use. I was worried about that.
The fan noise is not annoyingly loud on any of the speeds, and that's here in a home (probably will be less noticeable in a theme park)
It feels more comfortable on my neck than I expected.
Several of our adult kids have picked it up and tried and their response has been favorable, "hey this is pretty cool" rather than, "you spent money for this piece of junk?" (cuz ya know your kids will tell you that!)
My teen DD was on the fence about having one for our Sept trip. After trying out mine she says she will order one too.
The light feature is cool. I may use that at night. I'll feel like when my kids used to carry the light up Disney toys in the parks., LOL.
Haven't tested the aroma feature because some scents (perfumes, candles, etc) give me a headache. But that's just me.

Got it on amazon. Title of the listing starts with, " YTDTKJ Mini Hand Free Lazy Fan 7 Colors Led Gradient Aromatherapy Neck "

Last edited:
Received the Opolar hand held fan today. We live in Houston (similar humidity and heat to Orlando) so after I worked in the yard today I tried it out, outside. It's not an air conditioner by any stretch, but on the high speed did move air around and blowing on my sweaty grossness seemed to cool. The low and medium speed are useless. I'm supposed to get the neck thing Monday, I think. This one is more for g-baby in the stroller, we shall see what the other one does. Thanks for all the feedback!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter