Perimenopause is making me INSANE!

Another symptom that is rarely talked about that I’m going to add here is Cherry Angiomas and Angiokeratomas.

I've gotten one or two of these on and off for the last 30 years, but last year I got a BUNCH of them (torso area). My dermatologist said "it goes with getting older" and I said "yeah, but just like all of a sudden at age 54?" He said I was "lucky." People generally start getting them much earlier than that.

I've gotten one or two of these on and off for the last 30 years, but last year I got a BUNCH of them (torso area). My dermatologist said "it goes with getting older" and I said "yeah, but just like all of a sudden at age 54?" He said I was "lucky." People generally start getting them much earlier than that.
:idea: Ohhh, so that's what those red spots are. I have two of them and a couple of skin tags that seem like they materialized out of nowhere. :sad2: Physical aging sucks.

I feel like this is happening to me. I am 43 and I wake up nearly every night too hot. I get ready for bed every night and wear warm pajamas because I am freezing and then just before I get into bed I have to put on my summer jammies otherwise I melt.

I must have pretty bad genes, because I started getting gray hair at 26, and Cherry Angiomas in my late 20’s/early 30’s. (I’ll be 40 this year.)

For the past few months, I’ve been experiencing hot flashes during my PMS week. Really hoping this isn’t premenouse! 39 is too young for that, right?!

I feel like this is happening to me. I am 43 and I wake up nearly every night too hot. I get ready for bed every night and wear warm pajamas because I am freezing and then just before I get into bed I have to put on my summer jammies otherwise I melt.
I started perimenopause when I was 38, then entered menopause immediately after my hysterectomy in my early 40’s. I survived the night sweats and sudden chills by sleeping in the buff. Wearing nightgowns or pajamas was pointless because I would soak them. Instead I kicked off my covers when I got hot and pulled them back on when I was freezing. My DH and I had to sleep with separate quilts and blankets (full size on our king size bed) so that I didn’t mess with his covers. Since I kicked him out of the bedroom, just a couple months ago, we are both sleeping better.

Last edited:
I must have pretty bad genes, because I started getting gray hair at 26, and Cherry Angiomas in my late 20’s/early 30’s. (I’ll be 40 this year.)

For the past few months, I’ve been experiencing hot flashes during my PMS week. Really hoping this isn’t premenouse! 39 is too young for that, right?!
No. It’s quite normal to begin perimenopause in your late 30’s according to my OBGYN. I was 38.

My dermatologist said the same thing, part of aging. Wonderful. I am not sure if it is the same thing, but have asked the dermatologist to look at what starts out as pimple type thing, but goes blackish and then goes away but leaves a brown spot on my face. She said nothing to worry about and then proceeded to look at everything else (cherry angiomas all over) and said it’s all part of aging. I’ve also gotten some new moles but nothing suspicious looking and have had the dermatologist keep an eye on them.

I have a question if anyone knows the answer. Haven’t had a period in almost 3 years. I have not had one hot flash whatsoever. Could I still get them? They sound awful.

Anyone have hormonal changes or peri-menopause-like symptoms after a hysterectomy where the ovaries were kept?

I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago at age 26, but they left my ovaries so I wouldn't have all these hormonal changes at such a young age. Since, I've been getting crazy hot flashes, weird sleep patterns (can't sleep in my bed, only on the couch, difficulty sleeping at night, then other times when I can't stay awake during the day), a couple random long facial hairs, painful acne-like blemishes in unusual places (after not having acne for years), mood swings, weight gain that doesn't make sense given what I eat and how much I exercise, horrible migraines (never used to get them), and weird moments when it feels like my heart is skipping a beat.

I've read that some women who keep their ovaries in a hysterectomy can go into early ovarian failure/estrogen deficiency, but not sure if that's what's going on. Has anyone else gone through something similar or know anything about it?

Anyone have hormonal changes or peri-menopause-like symptoms after a hysterectomy where the ovaries were kept?

I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago at age 26, but they left my ovaries so I wouldn't have all these hormonal changes at such a young age. Since, I've been getting crazy hot flashes, weird sleep patterns (can't sleep in my bed, only on the couch, difficulty sleeping at night, then other times when I can't stay awake during the day), a couple random long facial hairs, painful acne-like blemishes in unusual places (after not having acne for years), mood swings, weight gain that doesn't make sense given what I eat and how much I exercise, horrible migraines (never used to get them), and weird moments when it feels like my heart is skipping a beat.

I've read that some women who keep their ovaries in a hysterectomy can go into early ovarian failure/estrogen deficiency, but not sure if that's what's going on. Has anyone else gone through something similar or know anything about it?
See your OBGYN.

I made it to 9 years after hyster at 29 before peri has kicked in full swing. It varies. Yet genes play a role too. My mom was on the young side at early 40s without hyster. So with me hitting at 39 with a hyster sounds about right since the surgery supposedly ages your body by 5 years and genes playing a role. My doctor told me 10 year is average after a hyster with preserving ovaries before full menopause. Some of he things your describing I’ve experienced because although I had my hyster I still have the stage 4 endometriosis. Unfortunately there’s also the natural aging process where things start to deteriorate in the human body at 32 years old. o_O

I am still exceedingly regular at 45, but am hot all the time. For example, today it was about 40 degrees and I was fine outside in a light sweater tunic and yoga pants, while my kids and husband were complaining about the cold, in jackets and down vests. I keep the house at no hotter than 65 degrees and wear tanks and shorts at home and sleep in tank tops and undies.

This may not help but I was having bad allergies about 5 years ago. So I started taking allergy meds. I found that taking them right before bed helps me sleep. Been taking them every night for 5 years. I have switched around the different over counter ones to see which works best for allergies and making me tired and, for me, it is Zyrtec.

It's definitely an idea, but I'm one of those people where allergy meds have the opposite effect as far as awake/tired. Like Benadryl makes most people sleepy and it completely wires me. Or non-drowsy formulations make me very tired. I do take a prescription drug when I know I'm definitely going to need it to sleep.

This is me. I'm usually cold any other time except in the middle of the night. I have to sleep in light clothing. My DH will sleep with socks on during the winter and the thought of it makes me shudder. Hot feet = hot everything, IMO.

So, I bought a fan to keep on the floor and pointed up at me and I think the combination of keeping me cool and the noise and is helping me sleep. Hope this does the trick on most nights.

*Regulates temperature which you fall asleep faster, quality of sleep is better & deeper.
*Improves skin.
*Regulates cortisal which lessens anxiety, stress, and balances hormones.
*Increases growth hormone where you burn more calories while sleeping and increases bone density.
*Melatonin will help release the growth hormone. When these two combine they produce the anti-aging hormone.
*Vaginal health is better airing things out.
*Improves blood circulation. Lowers blood pressure.
*Lessens the chance for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, & stroke.
*Improves brain health.
*Improves digestion and intestines inflammation.
*If you have a spouse/partner skin to skin contact improves mood and releases oxytocin. More as intimacy well because well you know.

My guess is that if the boldest point holds true, then all the other things fall into place! :D

I’m 53 and had regular periods until this past July. After the period in July, I had two in November and nothing since. I have had a couple of hot flashes; however, they haven’t been bad at all, not soaking wet with sweat or anything like that. But I have been a wreck emotionally. The mood swings - from crying to depressed to stressed to anxious - are very hard to deal with when I’ve always been a happy upbeat person. It’s getting so bad I think I need to see my doctor. It doesn’t help that I’m also struggling with empty nest syndrome. I have a sophomore and a senior in college, and the senior will be moving away for his job in a few months. Sigh.

I’m 53 and had regular periods until this past July. After the period in July, I had two in November and nothing since. I have had a couple of hot flashes; however, they haven’t been bad at all, not soaking wet with sweat or anything like that. But I have been a wreck emotionally. The mood swings - from crying to depressed to stressed to anxious - are very hard to deal with when I’ve always been a happy upbeat person. It’s getting so bad I think I need to see my doctor. It doesn’t help that I’m also struggling with empty nest syndrome. I have a sophomore and a senior in college, and the senior will be moving away for his job in a few months. Sigh.

Yes - the emotional swings are, in my opinion, the worst part. And, you’re right that life changes just amplify it. I definitely encourage you talk to your doctor. There is no need to ride the emotional roller coaster if you don’t have to.

:hug: I have a senior in high school, and agree the transitions are very emotional!

I have DS-22 who is in his own apartment and working and about to finish school. I have twin DDs about to turn 20 who have 3 more semesters of college after this semester. They are moving into a place this summer (with friends). They are 9 hours away. DS is 25 minutes away but we only see him 2-3 times a month. I guess that's not too bad. But I am super close with DDs and miss having them nearby. When they presented us with the plan to stay up at college for this summer it kind of hit me a bit hard. First, SIL found a summer camp job for one DD this summer (5.5 hours away from me) and I was a bit upset by that as I was wanting DDs to spend their summer at home with me (I even have a beach trip booked for end of May). Then DDs decided to stay at college, take summer classes and work. Even farther away from me. I told DH they would end up staying there after college and I would not be too happy about that. Would prefer them to be within a decent drive (couple hours). This college was one DH pushed on them so they could play a sport (they didn't want to go there or really play the sport anymore, they liked a college 2.5 hours away where they weren't being recruited to play so DH pushed the college where they were). I'll just say...I am now sleeping in one of DDs' rooms. Not only to get some sleep away from his snoring but because things are strained between us right now (not really because of DDs but something else, though the DD situation doesn't help). My moodiness didn't help things either. Uggghhh.

I’m wondering if anyone else has my problem. I’m 50, and have been having problems with my period for a few years now. Sometimes I miss 2 or 3 months, then some months I have it every month. It can be “manageable “, or some months I’m wearing 6 heavy duty overnight pads and still leak and it gushes everywhere. I have no hot flashes or mood swings. Is this normal?

I’m wondering if anyone else has my problem. I’m 50, and have been having problems with my period for a few years now. Sometimes I miss 2 or 3 months, then some months I have it every month. It can be “manageable “, or some months I’m wearing 6 heavy duty overnight pads and still leak and it gushes everywhere. I have no hot flashes or mood swings. Is this normal?

That was how I was for the lead up to menopause. I was like clockwork for my entire life. Then in the two years (I was 49/50) I missed 2 periods the first year, and then the last year I would skip 2 or 3 months only to have a period. I had no hot flashes or mood swings at the time. It wasn't until my period had just about stopped completely that the evening "heat" started. I never did have mood swings at all. Still don't. I'm only moody because I have insomnia now and I get tired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter