Perennial-Hosta

Mamu

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Hosta-These are my favorite shade plants. There are probably 400 different varieties. Tiny dwarf to giant grand-daddy hosta. They prefer cool, shady gardens where they put on their best show. Each hosta has is own character, some leaves are long and pointed, some rounded and heart shaped, some with wavey edges. Some hosta have a deep vein look, others have a lacquered looking leaf. Many are variegated with a splash of cream or a delicate edge of siver. They range in colors of yellow, green and blues.

Most like shade, but a few varieties can be planted in the sun. They grow best in a soil that in rich in humus.

These plants are grown for their leaf beauty, but they have tall spikes that grow from the plant with tiny little bell shaped flowers on the spikes.

Many years ago a friend and I visited a nursery in Wayland. It was Hosta Heaven. Acre's and acre's of hosta. We purchased several different varieties all quite expensive at that time. Came home and divided them up. We both have tons of hosta now.

These are another plant I am willing to trade in the fall. I really do not need anything in return. If you would like some hosta let me know.

Fire and Ice Hosta

I love Hostas too, Mamu.

I even have a hosta bed, but then I put in some lill of the valley, and then some daffodils and tulips, then some asiatic lily bulbs some one gave me, then the oxalis looks great in there, so , I guess it's not my hosta bed anymore.

I divided some hostas last year and was concerned because where I put the two new ones, the dog likes to lay in that area and she did quite a job squishing them! :eek: However, I am pleased to report, they are returning this Spring and the dog is not laying in that area... yet!

I have never used Hostas plants... I am going to this year as a boarder along the walk way to the house... A semi shaded area... I hope they work... I love the looks of them.

I had no idea there were so many varities until we stumbled upon a nursery that specializes in hostas. I love going over there are wandering up and down the isles of hostas. We try to add a new kind every year. So far we have the common green, lacy varigated and Blue Diamond. The patio is looking like it needs a yellow variety now! One of our beds is nothing but native fern, hostas, and an oak tree covered in ivy. The plants are so care free and easy to divide and replant. I read once that they must be divided every few years just so they don't get too large and unruly...no problem here, we have made several divisions and haven't lost a plant yet!

Add this to your must have list and yhou won't be sorry!

I *love* hostas, too!

I planted some a few years ago in a narrow north side flower bed. The heat still got to them and they died. replanted 4 heat tolerant varigated green/white and they thrived. But guess what : now the old ones -- the three giants I THOUGHT died -- are coming up even as I speak (or write ..;)

Too many hostas -- EVERYONE should have this problem!:bounce: :bounce:

ok since you seem well informed about them how far apart should you plant them?? and how many in a 6 foot row against a wall? I want to get some, but not sure which.

It depends a lot on the size of your hosta and how full you like your plantings. I have 6 staggered in a bed that is around 6 feet in length (three in back three in front, if they were a straight row they'd be right next to one another). I like my beds full. These hostas have an average size leaf and when they get too full I'll just split them.

There is a big range in price too depending on how rare a variety is, so that may have some bearing on your planting. Some of them have very large leaves and some very long and skinny.

Good luck with whatever you pick!

I bought 30 of them from White Flower Farm last year and planted them along the side of the garage. They did very well, but are not coming up this year. One large one at the edge of the garage wall that has been there for years is up and thriving. Is there such a thing as too shady?

I've never read anything about too shady but I have several in my patio that are slow as Christmas in coming up this year. Funny thing is the blue diamond hostas are usually the last ones up but this year they were first and are bigger than ever. I am beginning to believe hostas have a mind of their own!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter