Pensacola, Florida...Tell me all..The good, the bad and the ugly

As someone mentioned before Navy Federal Credit Union has a huge call center there and hire part time people for it. Heck they are trying to get staff from HQ in Vienna, VA to move down there right now (we thought about it for a few minutes but decided that the only upside we could find was being near the beach).

If your husband will be working in Gulf Breeze you probably will want to live in Gulf Breeze proper or Tiger Point. Excellent schools. Search Santa Rosa County Schools and you will see that Gulf Breeze schools are at the top. If he is working in the Tiger Point area you could live in Pace and he could commute over the bridge.

Get a house with a pool, you won't regret it :)

We lived in Pace for 12 years and are renting our house out now because my husband got a job in Virginia. I miss it terribly!

As someone mentioned before Navy Federal Credit Union has a huge call center there and hire part time people for it. Heck they are trying to get staff from HQ in Vienna, VA to move down there right now (we thought about it for a few minutes but decided that the only upside we could find was being near the beach).

Lower cost of living and no state income tax, awesome weather, and yea the most beautiful beaches in the US. :)

I live in that area for 3 long years, Here are my thoughts, again only my thoughts.

Gulf Breeze is nice as well as Navarre, but this is in the flood area, and I mean flood, when the water is up at times you can not even get home. That's not even during a hurricane, just a tropical storm out in the gulf blowing around. If you have never been through a hurricane, be sure to know what to expect and have on hand and to leave when they tell you to go, and don't wait go.. really go. Be prepared.

Pensacola Beach to Destin is beautiful, I would love to vacation there again some day, but never to live.

Nothing to do but the beach, you can only go to the air museum so much. Bilioxi is about 2 hours away, the USS Alabama is right over the line. If you want shopping you have to drive all the way to Tallahassee to shop. They did finally get publix before we moved. I shopped on line alot just to get what I could normally get a a local mall.

Do not work or use Baptist health-care for anything, Scared Heart for employment or medical needs. Navy federal is another good employer.

The school system is far behind the rest of the world, checkout home school groups your kids will learn more.There are lots of nice families to meet within the home school groups.

There was no zoning of any kind so you will find a trailer court, and million dollar house, commerical property, and mimi mart all in the same neighborhood. not great for property value. Stick with apartment complex, or neighborhood near or around the base.

Pensacola is not the south...... I will not say any more but that.

It's like 1950 to 1960 is most areas, not saying good or bad either way, just stating my thoughts.

Pensacola Beach and the city of Pensacola are 2 different things.

Joey Pattys fish market is great, as well as the New Yorker Deli, best deli there.

When my DH told me we were being transfered again, I cried for joy and started packing. I did not even care where I just could not wait to go...

I-10 is the most boring drive in the world, and it is full of cops so go the speed limits.:eek:

It is a very slow pace and way of life, did I say sssllllloooooow.... you get the picture.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Are you in Vienna now? My husband works in McLean.

Hello Fellow Budgetears!

We have an opportunity to move to Pensacola, Florida. It will initially be for a 2 year gig, so we would want to rent a house. We have an elementary kid and a high schooler and a dog.

I need any info y'all can give me.

Schools
health care
part-time job for me
climate
neighborhoods
fun stuff
serious stuff

Help!
Did you make the move? Hoping to get your experience. I'm thinking of making a move there and wanted to hear about your experience.

Hello Fellow Budgetears!

We have an opportunity to move to Pensacola, Florida. It will initially be for a 2 year gig, so we would want to rent a house. We have an elementary kid and a high schooler and a dog.

I need any info y'all can give me.

Schools
health care
part-time job for me
climate
neighborhoods
fun stuff
serious stuff

Help!
I'm from the Pensacola area...grew up in Gulf Breeze and Pensacola Beach. Currently living on the Space Coast but very homesick.

Easy access to the best beach..IMHO.

Great Fl. Gulf Coast seafood. Real southern seafood not Tilapia ! Snapper, Shrimp, Oysters . Joe Pattis is a great place to buy fresh off the boat. And you must love grits, it's a requirement. The Fish House in Pensacola is awesome! The Grand Marlin on the beach is too.

Actually, the best schools are in Santa Rosa County....Gulf Breeze, Pace, Milton.

Pensacola has 3 Hospitals, all good. The Navy Hospital is in Warrington.

Yes, we do get Hurricanes which is one of the reasons we moved when DH retired from the military and working for the State.

Homesick just writing this.

Did you make the move? Hoping to get your experience. I'm thinking of making a move there and wanted to hear about your experience.

I'm not sure what kind of things you'd like to hear or know about but I've lived in Pensacola for 18 years after living around the world.

CONS- It's a small city but quite spread out and public transportation isn't great. It's a military city so employers assume (often incorrectly) that wages shouldn't be so high since many in late 30s-early 50s have a supplemental income (retirement check from the gov't). There is some amount of back door sheenanigans in the local politics, but I don't know if you'll ever escape that. Schools aren't great but my DD attended PHS (IB program) for high school and it is rigorous. I'd agree that Santa Rosa schools are better overall, though. The traffic to the beach/Gulf Breeze can be horrible especially weekends/holidays in the summer.
Some individuals are distressed by the lack of culture although there's a symphony, opera and a few theaters/theater groups (I don't view this as a con, personally). Younger people might get tired of lack of nightlife, although there are a plethora of bars, especially downtown.
There aren't many direct flights-Delta to ATL, American to MIA/PHL/DFW, United to Chicago/IAH, SW to Houston Hobby (I think, I don't fly SW), so flights can be expensive.

PRO/CON-housing in some areas has really gone up. Good for me and my property values (up $100k since I bought 3 years ago), not great if you're looking for a bargain (there are still some, but not a lot).

PROS- Pensacola has a small town feel, and downtown is really revitalizing but it's still small. We have beautiful beaches, good fishing, and mild winters. We are not too far from NOLA (3 hours) and a boring but easy drive to WDW (6-7 ish depending on traffic, etc). The park system is large so many neighborhoods (at least in my area) will have a large park not too far away, and there are even 2 dog parks and a dog beach on the bayou as well as the Gulf. It's easy to be an outdoor person, especially if you're okay with heat and humidity. There are lots of fun runs, golf tournaments and boating activities.

Homesick just writing this.

Come back and visit! There is no place like home (and especially your home beach)⛱🌊🐬

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!