Pennsylvania - New Travel Guidelines/Requirements

MrsBooch

DIS Veteran
I haven't seen a dedicated thread for this so I wanted to start it - Hope it's the right spot?

PA now has a new "guideline" effective Nov. 20 where you need to have been tested for COVID within 72 hours of returning to the state or if you chose not to test you must quarantine for 14 days.

They have said that they do not currently have plans to enforce this, or check if you're doing it - so it's honor system -that being said - I'm interested to see people's experiences upon returning. Did anyone check you as you de-planed? It will start in two days so no one can say now but just thinking out loud...

Personally - we are leaving in four days, and we are complying - but I also think we could still test positive AFTER testing within 72 hours prior to returning - so we'll be isolating/quarantining and testing afterwards.

Has this new "requirement" changed anyone's plans? If you're still going - how are you getting this done? We are trying to get an at home test kit delivered to us and then we'll send it back out from FL. Dr. Levine said that as long as the test is happening within 72 hours, even if your results are pending - it's ok.

If we can't get that kit in time then we'll Uber to the testing site.

Personally - we are leaving in four days, and we are complying - but I also think we could still test positive AFTER testing within 72 hours prior to returning - so we'll be isolating/quarantining and testing afterwards.

Has this new "requirement" changed anyone's plans? If you're still going - how are you getting this done? We are trying to get an at home test kit delivered to us and then we'll send it back out from FL. Dr. Levine said that as long as the test is happening within 72 hours, even if your results are pending - it's ok.

If we can't get that kit in time then we'll Uber to the testing site.

This 100%% - I say this about any event - before Thanksgiving, kids leaving college before coming home, before flying, etc. Etc. Unless one puts themselves in a bubble immediately after testing, one can still be exposed to it before actually getting to their destination. Of course, if you are positive - but is any test 100% positive/negative? - one can then isolate - but how many others were exposed within those last 72 hours.

We came back a few weeks ago and voluntarily quarantined ourselves. We could have gone for a test 4 days after arriving back. So far, unless we feel symptoms or know we were exposed, we are not going to get tested every other day.

Safe travels, be safe & have a great time!!!

This 100%% - I say this about any event - before Thanksgiving, kids leaving college before coming home, before flying, etc. Etc. Unless one puts themselves in a bubble immediately after testing, one can still be exposed to it before actually getting to their destination. Of course, if you are positive - but is any test 100% positive/negative? - one can then isolate - but how many others were exposed within those last 72 hours.

We came back a few weeks ago and voluntarily quarantined ourselves. We could have gone for a test 4 days after arriving back. So far, unless we feel symptoms or know we were exposed, we are not going to get tested every other day.

Safe travels, be safe & have a great time!!!

Exactly - I really don't understand the 72 hour thing....but it is what it is. I am sure this is unpopular opinion but I think if you want to move the needle - they should be enforcing 14 day quarantine.

I love that if you go somewhere for a couple days, you'll have to test for your return before even leaving.
It says within 72 hours, so you could get a rapid test the day before returning, which would make more sense.

Interestingly, the web site says that if you haven't received your test results by the date of travel, you must quarantine for 14 days, not just until a negative result is received. That makes no sense to me.

Interestingly, the web site says that if you haven't received your test results by the date of travel, you must quarantine for 14 days, not just until a negative result is received. That makes no sense to me.

oh! that is good to know....

I listened to the press conference on the 6abc FB page - and Dr. Levine said that the results can be pending you just have to show that you've taken the test - and she said that they gave extra time (72 hours) vs lik 24 because of the amount of time it's taking to turn the results around.

It says within 72 hours, so you could get a rapid test the day before returning, which would make more sense.

Further down in the Q&A section of that page is this:

If they do not have a test result prior to entering the Commonwealth, they are required to remain at their destination and apart from other persons, except those with whom they have traveled, until they receive their test results. If the test result is negative, they may resume their travel activities.

Update - for our situation - we ordered "at home" kits that are coming tomorrow. We are taking them to FL, doing them there within the time frame, then sending them back from FL. This way we don't have to figure out how to get to the testing site or wait in lines etc.

Reactions: TJA
Update to the Update -
We ordered the at home testing kits YESTERDAY and they were just right now delivered to our house via fedex soooo that was super quick....

HIghly recommend doing this if you have to test - this takes out the logistical issue of GETTING to the testing sites if you have no car.

Update - for our situation - we ordered "at home" kits that are coming tomorrow. We are taking them to FL, doing them there within the time frame, then sending them back from FL. This way we don't have to figure out how to get to the testing site or wait in lines etc.

This sounds like the perfect solution for us! We're in NY and heading to FL but we also need a test in FL before we return home. When you say "then sending them back from FL," what exactly do you mean? Sorry, I love your idea but just want to be sure I understand. Thanks! Now I need to look into how to get an "at home" kit. I'm sure it's on the NY site.

This sounds like the perfect solution for us! We're in NY and heading to FL but we also need a test in FL before we return home. When you say "then sending them back from FL," what exactly do you mean? Sorry, I love your idea but just want to be sure I understand. Thanks! Now I need to look into how to get an "at home" kit. I'm sure it's on the NY site.

So first make sure your state accepts this type of test - PA does.

Second - it comes with a return mail slip thingy via Fedex as well as a Fedex bag to put it in.

According to the Disney World website:

Packages
Ship pre-packed, pre-labeled packages at the Front Desk or Concierge desk of most Walt Disney World Resort hotels.

So we should be able to just say Hey this is already labeled and ready to go. Thanks! And be done with it. Then it goes in the mail and the the lab (Quest I think) runs the test and emails it to us. My husband traveled for work back in March and had to do this - he got the results back in less than 2 business days.

• Love
Reactions: TJA

Second - it comes with a return mail slip thingy via Fedex as well as a Fedex bag to put it in.

Packages
Ship pre-packed, pre-labeled packages at the Front Desk or Concierge desk of most Walt Disney World Resort hotels.

So we should be able to just say Hey this is already labeled and ready to go. Thanks! And be done with it. Then it goes in the mail and the the lab (Quest I think) runs the test and emails it to us. My husband traveled for work back in March and had to do this - he got the results back in less than 2 business days.

Awesome - thanks! I just read about it on the Covid NY site and am going to give it a shot.

I didn't realize this was a thing you could do - could you share how/where you were able to order at home tests?

Thanks - enjoy your trip.

I didn't realize this was a thing you could do - could you share how/where you were able to order at home tests?

Thanks - enjoy your trip.

Sure thing!

Let me preface by saying of course no test is 100% accurate - at home tests are statistically less accurate than in person up the nose brain swabs - I'm not a doctor - I do not work in the medical field - I'm just a plain old Joe Shmoe trying to comply with state requirements while maintaining a semblance of a vacation.

Pixel by Labcorp (i said Quest earlier sorry about that). They make several at home tests for different things - one of them now is Covid 19.

Your insurance will cover this 100% - they bill the insurance company so you do not have any up front costs or the need to submit a reimbursement later (which many at home test kits will require as they do not work with insurance companies but qualify for FSA/HSA as well as reimbursements).
If you do not have insurance I think it's $99? but please do not quote me on that.

Go to the website, select the test, plug in your information (do you currently have symptoms of Covid? If so are they mild etc or do you have NO covid symptoms?) then you select your reason for testing - Requirement was what I picked (due to the state order) but there is also Exposure to Covid Positve person, etc etc. as options.

Then plug in your insurance card information.

Address info.

Order and done.

I had to do two separate orders - one for me and one for my husband.

Please note - you must be 18 or over to get this test. There ARE other tests out there for younger kids - but not this one. Our son is five, he's quarantining when we get home and frankly so are we regardless of this test. It is a non issue for us. But informational for anyone reading this.

Then that's it! I ordered them yesterday, they were delivered this morning by FedEx. We'll take them while we are on vacation - then have them put in the mail and wait for the results. It's a good alternative if possible, to physically going to the site.

We are going to decide this weekend whether to pull the plug on our trip next Friday.

In addition to the state’s recommendation, might want to check your county’s website for further restrictions that have been put into place.

Here’s mine from yesterday. The director of health department is threatening further actions if numbers don’t drop soon.

https://www.alleghenycounty.us/uplo...t-Home to Stop Social Gatherings Advisory.pdf

Me either

What’s to say you aren’t exposed after the test when out of the state & bring that ‘souvenir’ back home? They should require a 2nd rapid test once in the state

Further down in the Q&A section of that page is this:

If they do not have a test result prior to entering the Commonwealth, they are required to remain at their destination and apart from other persons, except those with whom they have traveled, until they receive their test results. If the test result is negative, they may resume their travel activities.
Good catch Didn’t see that will go back & read

Packages

Interesting

We are going to decide this weekend whether to pull the plug on our trip next Friday.

In addition to the state’s recommendation, might want to check your county’s website for further restrictions that have been put into place.

Here’s mine from yesterday. The director of health department is threatening further actions if numbers don’t drop soon.

https://www.alleghenycounty.us/uplo...t-Home to Stop Social Gatherings Advisory.pdf

Me either

What’s to say you aren’t exposed after the test when out of the state & bring that ‘souvenir’ back home? They should require a 2nd rapid test once in the state

Good catch Didn’t see that will go back & read

Interesting
We're in the same boat - as of now, we fly out Friday morning and return the following Wednesday. I planned to schlep everyone over to the testing site near Animal Kingdom and get tested before we come back. I really question the point of testing if no one has symptoms. A friend's daughter tested negative twice before testing positive three days later (she had symptoms at that point).

Did anyone check you as you de-planed?
I can't speak to PA, but here in NY, we have a similar travel advisory. After we exited the secured area at the airport, the National Guard was there requiring us to fill out a form with our information and flight number. We never received contact from the health department (we traveled when it was quarantine only and no test out option yet), but I know several people who received phone calls and visits. From what I understand now, there's a modified version of the form that must be completed asking if you tested prior to leaving the state you were in so that they know who plans to test out.

In NY, they require a test 72 hours prior to leaving whatever state you're in, and then you must quarantine for 3 days upon returning home, and take another test in NY on day 4. If the results from both your first test out of state and your second test in NY are both negative, you can end your quarantine. Our policy takes it a step further to help mitigate the chances of it still developing, since I believe there is a 10 day incubation period.

Its interesting that PA outright said its honor system and there's no enforcement. People will not want to incur the cost of a test (in some cases) so they will take their chances. In NY, it seems as if they spot check or do a sampling to see who is complying, and they've advised that one would have to provide two sets of negative test results (one from the state you traveled from and one from NY) to confirm you appropriately ended your quarantine. Those caught out of quarantine and can't produce the test results are subject to fines, though I don't know if they've actually issued any.

People will not want to incur the cost of a test (in some cases) so they will take their chances.
If you have health insurance, it’s 100% covered.

If not, it’s free as long as you meet a one of the ‘conditions’ that been established. Details available on the manufacturers’ & testing site websites

From Jersey flying outta Philly and returning hope I don’t have live in the airport till I get tested! 😅 Have and will quarantine at home in Jersey once back based on our State restrictions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter