Paying with Magic Band?

Northern Disney Girl

DIS Veteran
DD15 and I are travelling to WDW in just 4 weeks!

We are not on a DDP. We have a couple of ADRs but will mostly be eating QS.

Wanting to travel as lightly as possible and also lowering the risk of losing cash or credit cards, I am planning to charge most if not all meals to our room via my Magic band and pay the balance every couple days with a GC.

Here is our list of places we are planning to eat at.

Do any on this list not accept payment by room charge?

Everything Pop
Blaze Pizza
Sprinkles
Columbia Harbor House
Aloha Isle
Captain Cooks
Garden Grill (ADR)
Epcot Holiday Kitchens
Wolfgang Puck Express
Landscape of Flavors
Pecos Bills
Trails End (ADR)
Garden View Tea @ GF (ADR)
Satu’li Canteen
Mara
Restaurantosaurus
Beaches & Cream (ADR)
Woody’s Lunch Box

I feel like maybe the only ones that might not would be the Holiday Kitchens at Epcot.

TIA ☺️

I don't know if the Disney Springs locations will accept a room charge for payment. I know they take DDP entitlements but room charge is a different thing. So the questionable ones would be Sprinkles, Wolfgang Puck Express & Blaze Pizza. All the others are Disney owned so shouldn't be an issue unless they can't read your MB for some reason like the system being down. Holiday Kitchens shouldn't be a problem as they are the same food booths they use for all the other EPCOT Festivals & MB's work fine for them unless the readers are down. You can just as easily use the GC's at any of the places that accept the room charge and save yourself having to go to the front desk to make the payment unless you want a printout of everything. They usually have special small GC's on wristbands for the festivals in EPCOT.

IMHO, you should always have ID, credit card, and some cash on hand at WDW. Magic bans don't always work.

Ditto. We went to Food and Wine one day and our MBs would not work at any kiosks. I had to have them reset when we went back the resort, so I’m glad I had my credit card while at Epcot.

on grounds, we pay everywhere with the magic bands.
As others have mentioned, I always have a little cash and a credit card just in case the band readers aren't working. Not common, but has happened at a few kiosks.

Do you have to do anything to set up the MBs so you can charge to your room? And how do I keep my kids from charging as well?

I don't know if the Disney Springs locations will accept a room charge for payment. I know they take DDP entitlements but room charge is a different thing. So the questionable ones would be Sprinkles, Wolfgang Puck Express & Blaze Pizza. All the others are Disney owned so shouldn't be an issue unless they can't read your MB for some reason like the system being down. Holiday Kitchens shouldn't be a problem as they are the same food booths they use for all the other EPCOT Festivals & MB's work fine for them unless the readers are down. You can just as easily use the GC's at any of the places that accept the room charge and save yourself having to go to the front desk to make the payment unless you want a printout of everything. They usually have special small GC's on wristbands for the festivals in EPCOT.

We ate at TRex one day for lunch and they accepted Magic Bands as payment. If there's any doubt about a particular restaurant, I'd call them just to ask! Better to check than be caught unawares!

We have paid with mb everywhere we have eaten and never had an issue. I always keep some cash on hand just in case something is not working this way I am covered. I do not believe you will have an issue at any of those places.

Do you have to do anything to set up the MBs so you can charge to your room? And how do I keep my kids from charging as well?
You set up a pin code for charging things to the Magic bands, and unless the kids have it they can't charge anything :) They are automatically linked to your hotel reservation/MDE if you're staying on property, or you can link your magic bands on MDE to your account if you buy them separately or use old ones from a previous stay.

I don't know if the Disney Springs locations will accept a room charge for payment. I know they take DDP entitlements but room charge is a different thing. So the questionable ones would be Sprinkles, Wolfgang Puck Express & Blaze Pizza..

Wolfgang Puck Express definitely does, we have eaten there a few times with magic bands.

The band will be tied to your room.
Through online, you used to be able to select who could and could not charge with the band.
Otherwise at the main desk, they should be able to select who you authorize to charge.

Thanks everyone for the input!

I am coming from Canada so want to plan in advance how much actual cash to bring.

I Plan to purchase a GC and use that or charge to my MB as much as possible.

We wound up at the ER going there directly from DHS once. Good thing I had our insurance card, our IDs, credit card and a bit of cash with me. We got back to the resort around 4AM the next morning.

just to be sure, I'd say that at the minimum you should carry a bit of (US) cash, one credit card, and your ID. YMMV. Don't know if you are looking to purchase alcoholic beverages, but if you are carded, under Florida law international guests are supposed to present their passport, apparently it is acceptable to present a photocopy of the passport plus a government-issued photo ID such as a drivers license.

The Epcot Holiday Kitchens definitely take room charges. The only ones that might not are the Disney Springs outlets (Blaze, WPE and Sprinkles) but if they all accept the dining plan, they should also accept room charges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter