Paying dues with Gift Card limits

macman123

DIS Veteran
I rent some points out to cover dues.

Is there a limit on a maximum single gift card, ie $500?

If so, can you do say $500 per credit/debit card you have?

And also that max limit is that per month? Ie so $500 max per credit card you use per month?

Thanks.

I rent some points out to cover dues.

Is there a limit on a maximum single gift card, ie $500?

If so, can you do say $500 per credit/debit card you have?

And also that max limit is that per month? Ie so $500 max per credit card you use per month?

Thanks.
A single GC can hold up to $1,000.00. I have never seen GCs for sale that exceed $500 but that doesn't mean they don't exist. You can combine GCs on the disneygiftcard.com website.

Payments online for dues can only be done one GC at a time but you can apply as many GCs as necessary to pay your annual dues down. There might be a limit on the number of GCs you can use if you call Member Accounting to settle your account.

There appears to be no limit as to how much you can pay using a credit/debit card. The only limit would be what your bank puts on the card.

Ah ok so its $1,000 per card. Thanks. One of my renters did say they can only get one gift card per credit card they have........?

Ah ok so its $1,000 per card. Thanks. One of my renters did say they can only get one gift card per credit card they have........?
They might be referring to reward cards on Chase Disney card. They "spend" like Gift cards, but they are "earned" rewards and you have 1 per credit card. Additionally, you can't transfer reward card balances to gift cards, they are in a different system.

Since I know you have lots of points (from the rofr and 1000 pt club threads), you are also limited to 6 gift cards per disney login account. You can always combine the value to $1000 and then remove that card from your account and hold that physical gift card. The funds always exist on the physical gift card, not in the login account.

This is not a mobile wallet and should not be considered as such. Be sure to keep your physical and digital Disney Gift Cards with you as they will be required to make any purchases.

A couple of additional points...
Since they are not transferrable and they are always tied to the CC account, I would not accept a rewards card as payment.
Second, if you do accept GC funds as payment.... I would immediately transfer those funds from that GC to a separate GC. The renter would still have the original GC info and could spend those funds after their stay if you left the funds on that GC. You can easily transfer funds between GC's on the gift card management site.

Last edited:

It could be as @DaveNan has stated with the chase redemptions. It could also be an offer they have on their credit card.

My WF CC as an example gives 15% cash back right now at Home Depot, which sells Disney gift card. But that 15% back is only for the first purchase and up to $100. That means you can buy one single gift card up to $666. Effectively paying $566 for that $666 gift card.

By accepting gift card for a rental, you are also effectively taking less per point to rent out. Even if you don't have access to that 15% cash back, there are other offers, promotions and discounts. Effectively making Disney gift cards worth on average 3-4% less than face value.

Then of course there's the rampant fraud associated with gift cards..there's that too...

The more I think about it, I can see several advantages for you for accepting GC from renters. Also, from you other posts, I believe you are international. So GC stay in US$. You don't "lose" funds converting to and from US$. As long as you use the GC at Disney (DVC MF, AP, on site) you get fund and spend them without switching currency or paying any admin fees (paypal). I would still stress - move the funds to a different GC immediately. On a side note.. the "income" is also pretty hidden from a banking/fund transfer perspective unlike Paypal, checks, and fund transfers.

To me, I would actually not want to pay by GC, if I was the renter. While I could maybe save 10% by getting GC at a discount, there would be less of a record or means to get my funds back if there were an issue. Of course, if renting among friends and family, that would not be an issue.

The issue I have is with Paypal someone can pay in US$ but then it always converts to UK £.

Then when I pay dues it converts against from UK £ to US$

So I can get hammered twice.

I can use Revolut, but its not really popular in the USA and people don't really want to send an international wire.

The issue I have is with Paypal someone can pay in US$ but then it always converts to UK £.

I can use Revolut, but its not really popular in the USA and people don't really want to send an international wire.
I have this same issue with paypal and it's really frustrating considering I have a USD account I can't even transfer the funds to. I've been trying to find a way "around it" (FTR not illegal ways, just that I should not be forced to convert to a different currency if I don't want to).

Someone suggested to me that I pay for my own Disney gift cards through Target using paypal. I haven't done this yet but am planning to try once my reservation is completed. I can't remember if they said the cards are then shipped to Canada (not sure if it would work for the UK) or sent to your email.

Anyway I thought I'd put that suggestion out there in case you wanted to look into it, I haven't tried it myself but plan to call their toll free number and consider it as an option.

I have usd as my primary currency so it doesn't convert automatically.

I have this same issue with paypal and it's really frustrating considering I have a USD account I can't even transfer the funds to. I've been trying to find a way "around it" (FTR not illegal ways, just that I should not be forced to convert to a different currency if I don't want to).

Someone suggested to me that I pay for my own Disney gift cards through Target using paypal. I haven't done this yet but am planning to try once my reservation is completed. I can't remember if they said the cards are then shipped to Canada (not sure if it would work for the UK) or sent to your email.

Anyway I thought I'd put that suggestion out there in case you wanted to look into it, I haven't tried it myself but plan to call their toll free number and consider it as an option.

I have usd as my primary currency so it doesn't convert automatically.

I am Canadian, so have had this issue before too with using PayPal. PayPal automatically converts to your country's currency when you're receiving funds, but you can ask the seller to change the settings on their end so that you also receive USD. It's pretty straightforward once you point it out to people to look for. I don't have a US-based bank account, so I usually just have that money sitting as a PayPal balance (and it stays in there as US funds). Then I will buy electronic Disney gift cards from shopDisney.com and pay using my PayPal balance. The e-gift cards are sent to your email address and we use them for when we're at Disney and/or paying dues.

People have sent me some $500 gift cards and I have just paid the dues.

So I am hoping I can just do this time after time

I’d accept gift cards from friends or whatever, but they are frequently associated with fraud. I wouldn’t even consider them with any transaction with someone I don’t know.

But yea, if you trust someone that the gift card is legit, you could do as many small value cards as you need to. This sounds like a pretty smart way to do this among international friends.

I’d accept gift cards from friends or whatever, but they are frequently associated with fraud. I wouldn’t even consider them with any transaction with someone I don’t know.

But yea, if you trust someone that the gift card is legit, you could do as many small value cards as you need to. This sounds like a pretty smart way to do this among international friends.

Well the thing the booking is 7 months away. So if they are fraudulent I can just cancel the booking.......

Well the thing the booking is 7 months away. So if they are fraudulent I can just cancel the booking.......

As a renter, I'd consider this really sketch. In the US, a lot of the phone scams ask for gift cards. It's a common scammer thing. But hey, a discount for gift cards, maybe I'm listening.

As a renter, I'd consider this really sketch. In the US, a lot of the phone scams ask for gift cards. It's a common scammer thing. But hey, a discount for gift cards, maybe I'm listening.

Sure - even as a Dis veteran and having sent the booking confirmation ?

im Just trying to find a way not to get hammered on currency exchange and something a US renter would do….

Sure - even as a Dis veteran and having sent the booking confirmation ?

im Just trying to find a way not to get hammered on currency exchange and something a US renter would do….
With all due respect, you're a DIS veteran who has only been a member of the boards since March of last year...right when the pandemic shutdown occurred. You are probably a fine person with a strong moral backbone but the title "DIS veteran" doesn't exactly confer street cred. It only means that you've made a minimum number of posts.

Sending a confirmation to the renter helps lend legitimacy but there are cases of scammers who pose as a DVC owner. They line up a renter and then get an actual owner to book a reservation. Owner sends confirmation to scammer as a gesture if good faith before collecting any money. Scammer sends their victim the confirmation and collects their money. Scammer never pays the owner, so the owner cancels the reservation. It can happen. If the renter paid the scammer with gift cards, they have fewer avenues to pursue a refund.

Sending a confirmation to the renter helps lend legitimacy but there are cases of scammers who pose as a DVC owner. They line up a renter and then get an actual owner to book a reservation. Owner sends confirmation to scammer as a gesture if good faith before collecting any money. Scammer sends their victim the confirmation and collects their money. Scammer never pays the owner, so the owner cancels the reservation. It can happen. If the renter paid the scammer with gift cards, they have fewer avenues to pursue a refund.

Thank you. So what do you helpfully suggest then?

In order to avoid exchange fees and something a USA national would be happy with. Revolut does not appear to be too familiar with those in the USA

Thank you. So what do you helpfully suggest then?

In order to avoid exchange fees and something a USA national would be happy with. Revolut does not appear to be too familiar with those in the USA
@EatMoreVeg offered a solution using PayPal. Just keep the funds in $USD and then use those funds to purchase eGC from shopdisney.com Is that something that you cannot do?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter