• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pay to park coming?

Does Mears provide car seats? I've never seen them on the buses, but my kids haven't been in carseats for nearly 20 years.
I think Sparky984 was saying people will be driven to Mears because they don't want to ride in private cars with strangers (Uber, Lyft), and those private cars might not have car seats for small kids, whereas Mears doesn't need to worry about that because car seats aren't required by law on busses (like airplanes).

By law, cabs and rideshares don't require carseats either, if one is only concerned about law. And your kid is no safer in a bus without a carseat than in a car without one.

By law, cabs and rideshares don't require carseats either, if one is only concerned about law. And your kid is no safer in a bus without a carseat than in a car without one.
True, but it’s the perception that people have. Car seat at home, car seat in the janky Uber Prius at MCO. For some people, riding in a giant bus is somehow safer than a passenger car. Look at the fight to get seat belts on school busses.

... your kid is no safer in a bus without a carseat than in a car without one.
I wouldn't say a child is 100% safe in a bus without a carseat, but they are much safer than in a car without one.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that school busses are 70x safer than consumer vehicles (measured in fatalities, adjusted for miles travelled) despite the lack of seatbelts. That's not a perfect proxy for Mears coaches, but it's close enough - and the effect huge enough -to be a meaningful point of reference.

It's mostly just physics: busses are huge, with lots of mass to absorb an impact, and typically with features like shock-absorbers built into seats to protect passengers. They're also highly visible and relatively slow. So they are less likely to get into accidents, and when they do they are less likely for that accident to be injurious to the passengers.

If a large pickup truck crashes into my little car at 40mph, it will do some serious damage. If that same pickup truck crashes into a Mears bus, the bus and its passengers will probably be fine. The biggest risk would be if the force was enough to make the bus actually tip over, but that's really rare. They're just too big, with way more mass to absorb the impact.

I wouldn't say a child is 100% safe in a bus without a carseat, but they are much safer than in a car without one.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that school busses are 70x safer than consumer vehicles (measured in fatalities, adjusted for miles travelled) despite the lack of seatbelts. That's not a perfect proxy for Mears coaches, but it's close enough - and the effect huge enough -to be a meaningful point of reference.

It's mostly just physics: busses are huge, with lots of mass to absorb an impact, and typically with features like shock-absorbers built into seats to protect passengers. They're also highly visible and relatively slow. So they are less likely to get into accidents, and when they do they are less likely for that accident to be injurious to the passengers.

If a large pickup truck crashes into my little car at 40mph, it will do some serious damage. If that same pickup truck crashes into a Mears bus, the bus and its passengers will probably be fine. The biggest risk would be if the force was enough to make the bus actually tip over, but that's really rare. They're just too big, with way more mass to absorb the impact.

That's crash data. Because young children not confined to car seats on buses also have the ability to move, they are often injured outside of crashes - and that's the most common type of injury for children on buses.

If car seats are important to you, and they should be, put your kid in a car seat. But then they should be important to you on the airplane and on the bus as well as in the taxi.

I bet Disney will try to find a way in which to charge renters, not the actual owners, for parking at some point. Will they be able to, I don't know. But I am certain that they would love to find a loophole.

I bet Disney will try to find a way in which to charge renters, not the actual owners, for parking at some point. Will they be able to, I don't know. But I am certain that they would love to find a loophole.

How would disney know who is a renter and who is a friend or family traveling on a member‘s points? I give my points away to friends and family all the time and I also rent a good number of points out. Disney has zero way of knowing which is which.

...They can and do; however, charge the guests they rent out via cash DVC rooms too.

Yes, but if you purchase a confirmed res from a DVC member, no parking fee. :)

How would disney know who is a renter and who is a friend or family traveling on a member‘s points? I give my points away to friends and family all the time and I also rent a good number of points out. Disney has zero way of knowing which is which.

Even if they somehow developed a way to be able to know for sure the points were rented they would not be able to charge a parking fee. Contracts law.

I wondered about this when I rented last year. They gave a bit of a fuss when it came to parking. I think when you type in lead guest there is a place to check This Person is not a DVC member. So that’s how they might flag it? I always wondered about that box.

I wondered about this when I rented last year. They gave a bit of a fuss when it came to parking. I think when you type in lead guest there is a place to check This Person is not a DVC member. So that’s how they might flag it? I always wondered about that box.

Curious what sort of fuss they gave you about parking and where you were staying?

They can’t charge any guest whose reservation is paid with points

They can’t charge any owner for paying cash at a DVC resort.

I wondered about this when I rented last year. They gave a bit of a fuss when it came to parking
. I think when you type in lead guest there is a place to check This Person is not a DVC member. So that’s how they might flag it? I always wondered about that box.

It doesn’t matter. The one issue is that sometimes the resort system and the DVC system dont “talk” to each other well.

So, like anything else, it just takes a mention it’s a DVC reservation on points. Any charges are removed.

Curious what sort of fuss they gave you about parking and where you were staying?

oh gosh.This was before I was a member and using an agency for rental. I checked in and no pass was given. I don’t remember what was said. Then when I left or returned car late at night I had to speak to the manager at the front desk who asked me questions and took about five minutes to approve me for free parking. It was a blur but I was worried for a bit. This was at Aulani.

I didn't know this.

But I still think they might try to charge renters in the future. Hopefully not.
This just sounds like speculation with nothing to actually indicate there's a reason to even worry about it. There are dozens of rumors out there about how Disney can uncharge guests on even more stuff - but I don't see DVC parking being one of them for the foreseeable future.

I didn't know this.

But I still think they might try to charge renters in the future. Hopefully not.

No, they can’t because renting is allowed, and a renter is using the points of an owner,

Again, we already pay for it via the dues so there is nothing additional to charge for.

I just don't put Disney past trying anything now days. But they have had to back down from their previous attemps thanks to the resilience of the members. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter