• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pay to park coming?

My understanding is that DVC can not charge for something that we directly pay for with our Maintenance fees. As we pay for maintenance of the parking lot in the dues (unless they change that) they can not charge for parking. They can and do; however, charge the guests they rent out via cash DVC rooms too.

Not that I take Plan Disney as an authority; however, they are even stating to this individual they will not have to park:

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...edroom-pay-parking-resort-theme-parks-455044/
Also the parking policy for info

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel. A Member who chooses not to use vacation points for their stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel in an accommodation other than a DVC Deluxe Villa will be charged for standard overnight self-parking.

The parking lots for the DVC resorts are common elements that are included with your condominium ownership interest and you are charged dues for the maintenance of common elements. Florida condominium law applicable to DVC resorts prohibits charging fees for the owners' use of the common elements unless the POS declarations expressly provide that such usage fees can be charged. Fl. Stat. sec. 718.111(4). No such provisions are in the POS of any the DVC resorts. As a result, DVC cannot legally charge fees for the members to use the DVC resort parking lots. That likewise applies to the pools, tennis courts, and anything else that are part of the common elements.

Last edited:

Is there any truth that after January we will have to pay to park at DVC resorts?
We already are paying for parking as part of our dues.

We're also paying for the guard who let's us drive in, bell services who take our luggage, Cast Members at the front desk, lifeguards at the pools, etc. There is (almost?) nothing at the DVC resorts that we get for free.

There is nothing strange going on here. This is consistent with how (nearly?) all timeshares function.

We already are paying for parking as part of our dues.

We're also paying for the guard who let's us drive in, bell services who take our luggage, Cast Members at the front desk, lifeguards at the pools, etc. There is (almost?) nothing at the DVC resorts that we get for free.

There is nothing strange going on here. This is consistent with how (nearly?) all timeshares function.
Guard is covered, parking lot is covered. What about the road from the guard to the lot??
Florida is pretty big on toll booths.

This is one of those things we pay those MFs for! If they want to charge money to park...the POS should have said so in the first place!

MFs=Maintenance Fees
POS=Public Offering Statement

(If you were thinking something else...shame on you!)

Is there any truth that after January we will have to pay to park at DVC resorts?
No in Jan you have to pay to take transportation to/from the airport. The reservation system is already active for folks to book the transportation from the airport now for trips starting in Jan

Closing Magical Express will only make more people rent cars...lots are gonna get packed. I'm sure they see $$$$$.

I sort of doubt it. Uber/Lyft is still cheaper than renting a car - and MUCH less of a hassle. As long as Disney's onsite transportation remains acceptable (and I'm not talking great or good, just acceptable), I think more guests will move to Ride Share. Pre-ME a lot of people booked towncars, and that method of transportation may make a comeback (I think the prices Mears has posted for the replacement ME are insane when you look at rideshare costs).

The Orlando airport is going to have to figure out a better Rideshare pickup model than they have now.

Pre-ME a lot of people booked towncars, and that method of transportation may make a comeback (I think the prices Mears has posted for the replacement ME are insane when you look at rideshare costs).

I keep arguing that Mears is gonna take an absolute beating trying to offer the continuing alternative to DME, but I keep getting shot down with "They must know what they're doing" and "They must have done the math and decided that they can make more money" responses. i just don't buy it.

I keep arguing that Mears is gonna take an absolute beating trying to offer the continuing alternative to DME, but I keep getting shot down with "They must know what they're doing" and "They must have done the math and decided that they can make more money" responses. i just don't buy it.

Nor do I. But Mears has never impressed me as a company. Before ME they basically did the same thing they are doing with the end of ME - and basically depended on business from people who didn't know any better and just bought transfers through their travel agent. I think there will be a lot fewer Disney visitors who don't do the research now - although they will still get business from the "this is what we know, its just changed" people.

I don't understand why anyone would want to pay per person to wait around for Mears transportation and then be the last stop on the resort loop when there are lines of taxis and a city of people making a living driving rideshare that will drive you direct to your resort.

They might take a beating and have to raise prices and then lose even more customers. Those with young children who would otherwise require a car seat as well as people who don’t feel comfortable with riding with strangers in their personal vehicle, or those who wish to travel together and can’t fit in one car, will likely create a demand floor to which Mears will have to adjust. There’s always money to be made transporting people to WDW.

Ive done the math and neither a rental car nor town car is cheaper. I’m not bringing car seats on an airplane and I’m not banking on it being easy to find an Uber with multiple car seats and still have room to take bunch of bags. Sure there will be some, but would that even be cheaper after car seat fees and needing to summon a larger vehicle? Who knows until we arrive. How long will we have to wait?

I don’t think it was Mears who ended it but Disney didn’t want to renew the contract with them given that those other pieces wouldn’t exist because of the company Bags Inc having issues etc.

I think Mears created Mears Connect to keep the service going since they already had everything needed and could do it like they did pre Magical Express

I don’t think it was Mears who ended it but Disney didn’t want to renew the contract with them given that those other pieces wouldn’t exist because of the company Bags Inc having issues etc.

I think Mears created Mears Connect to keep the service going since they already had everything needed and could do it like they did pre Magical Express
And as I also keep saying, I don't know who "ended" it, or why. Some commenters want to blame Mears for asking too much at some assumed bargaining session, while others want to argue that Disney pulled the plug for (insert your reason here). It doesn't really matter. I don't think it will present as a viable long-term replacement for DME.

They might take a beating and have to raise prices and then lose even more customers. Those with young children who would otherwise require a car seat as well as people who don’t feel comfortable with riding with strangers in their personal vehicle, or those who wish to travel together and can’t fit in one car, will likely create a demand floor to which Mears will have to adjust. There’s always money to be made transporting people to WDW.

Ive done the math and neither a rental car nor town car is cheaper. I’m not bringing car seats on an airplane and I’m not banking on it being easy to find an Uber with multiple car seats and still have room to take bunch of bags. Sure there will be some, but would that even be cheaper after car seat fees and needing to summon a larger vehicle? Who knows until we arrive. How long will we have to wait?

Does Mears provide car seats? I've never seen them on the buses, but my kids haven't been in carseats for nearly 20 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter