Pay to park coming?

Maybe so ---but can't they add a parking fee to the maintenance fees and not call it a parking fee

And thus commit fraud. The law prohibits user fees for use of the common elements such as the parking lots unless the declarations provide that user fees for use of a particular common element can be applied. Normal accounting procedures for condominiums require that dues items be accurately summarized in the budget documents. You cannot just add a parking fee, applicable to everyone including all who never bring a car, which has nothing to do with mainetnenace, and hide it under maintenance.

Maybe so ---but can't they add a parking fee to the maintenance fees and not call it a parking fee
DVD would have to accept all responsibility for the maintenance and insurance of the parking areas to be able to charge DVC owners. They cannot bill owners twice, once in the yearly maintenance fees and again in a daily parking fee. So they would have to figure out what the yearly costs to do this would be and then subtract it from the yearly dues. I for one would welcome this since I normally do not bring/rent a car so right now I am subsidizing the parking area for owners who do. I knew this when I bought into DVC. If they did this they probably would lose money on the DVC parking.

DVD would have to accept all responsibility for the maintenance and insurance of the parking areas to be able to charge DVC owners. They cannot bill owners twice, once in the yearly maintenance fees and again in a daily parking fee. So they would have to figure out what the yearly costs to do this would be and then subtract it from the yearly dues. I for one would welcome this since I normally do not bring/rent a car so right now I am subsidizing the parking area for owners who do. I knew this when I bought into DVC. If they did this they probably would lose money on the DVC parking.
Just like those that drive subsidized DME. Those that Uber to parks subsidize transportation costs etc….

Seems all they have to do is bump up some legal DVC fee if they want a parking fee

I know people are not happy with the increased costs made on the parks side, but budgets for DVC are different and have strict guidelines for the operation of the resort.

They are not going to risk doing something illegal. The bottom line is we can not be charged for parking by law.

Really?? They have in the past at Alunai, and also took some tries in some grey areas with the point charts.

Grey areas are grey for a reason.

I realize there was an issue with the Aulani dues that had to be corrected, but IIRC, people were fired because of it and it was discovered pretty early in the process. Leads to more that it was incompetence than a blatant attempt to violate the law.

I realize there was an issue with the Aulani dues that had to be corrected, but IIRC, people were fired because of it and it was discovered pretty early in the process. Leads to more that it was incompetence than a blatant attempt to violate the law.
It wasn't an issue.... it was FRAUD! Just because it was covered by Disney's lawyers and the executives who did it were fired instead of charged with a crime doesn't mean it wasn't a crime. If they were so incompetent then how did they become executives at DVC?

No, they can’t because renting is allowed, and a renter is using the points of an owner,

Again, we already pay for it via the dues so there is nothing additional to charge for.
Then they don't charge for parking, they institue a toll road leading up to the resort (since they own that property as well). $25 to use the road.

Then they don't charge for parking, they institue a toll road leading up to the resort (since they own that property as well). $25 to use the road.

And if they want to make driving on their property a pay road for all visitors…it can’t be to just DVC...that is a different argument and an entire different conversation.

I think that would be a very difficult thing to apply legally for DVC owners as it would in essence prevent them from accessing the property they own and was not included in the POS for terms of the ground lease.

Again, this is about whether they can legally charge owners to park on common elements that are included in what we own and the information is they can not.

I get some want to believe Disney is corrupt and willing to the break the law at every turn.

Seems all they have to do is bump up some legal DVC fee if they want a parking fee
No. They can't. The DVC fees go in reserves and can only be spent on the upkeep of the resorts and a few other specific, itemized things.

In theory, I suppose they could add a specific line item for "parking lot maintenance" (maybe they already do?), but that's not profit. That money would have to go into a specific reserve account and could ONLY be used for parking lot maintenance.

Kinda like Disney installing China-monitored surreptitious recording devices in every room, right before selling all of DVC to undisclosed 3rd parties who will start pimping Holiday Inn Express at the kiosk inside Fantasyland.
I'm glad someone else brought up the Alexa in every room issue first!

Kinda like Disney installing China-monitored surreptitious recording devices in every room, right before selling all of DVC to undisclosed 3rd parties who will start pimping Holiday Inn Express at the kiosk inside Fantasyland.
Oh please, Alexa isn't smart enough for that. Heck, my Alexa lost the ability to turn lights bulbs on and off for several hours yesterday. But I could still control them through my Smart Phone, so maybe it isn't Alexa we need to be worrying about. :rolleyes1 Just sayin'.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter