Patio Umbrella Question

mamamary

DIS Veteran
Does your patio umbrella constantly blow over? My deck out back gets mostly all sun since we cut our tree down. We bought a nice set a few years back and the umbrella kept blowing over. Then one day it took the table with it and the glass went into a million pieces. So we bought a cheap plastic table but now the umbrella took that down too. We are using a base that fills with water which came with the umbrella. It seems pretty heavy. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? I find I use my deck more with some covering out there although it's been too hot to go out the last few days.

Do you keep your umbrella up when not in use?

Yes it is an issue. We use the weighted bases with the sand. Not sure of the difference between the sand/water in weight.

Yes we do keep it up. To open and close it I'd have to stand on a chair or step stool so that it kinda annoying. It's funny though i do see other umbrellas up constantly but only mine going over. You'd think there was some nice breeze out there or something - lol. I do know some people use sand and I wonder if that makes the difference?? Something to think about......

Yes we do keep it up. To open and close it I'd have to stand on a chair or step stool so that it kinda annoying. It's funny though i do see other umbrellas up constantly but only mine going over. You'd think there was some nice breeze out there or something - lol. I do know some people use sand and I wonder if that makes the difference?? Something to think about......

Why do you have to stand on a step stool? Maybe the umbrella is to top heavy? You should be able to easily roll up the umbrella.

Why do you have to stand on a step stool? Maybe the umbrella is to top heavy? You should be able to easily roll up the umbrella.

It's not a roll up umbrella - it is like an actual umbrella where you have to push it all the way up until the little "thingy" locks (lol - I totally can't describe this right).

I used to sell patio furniture for a living, and I can tell you that the base that you use for your umbrella makes all the difference in the world!

Those plastic ones that you fill with water or sand are crap, IMO. The do not have a stem for the pole to go into, nor are they heavy enough. You also need to keep the umbrella closed when not in use.

Here's my advice: Buy the best umbrella base you can afford. Going to a patio furniture store is best. You want something HEAVY - 50 lbs is good. Also, a LONG NECK/STEM for the pole to fit into - the tallest you can fit under the table. This will really cut down on tipping. You also need to keep the umbrella closed when not in use.

This is an example of the one I like best (and I own as well):

31qLeIqS7XL._SL75_.jpg

Sorry for the small pic, but you can see how tall the neck is. This particular style also has a feature where you can add an additional weight underneath if needed. (The brand on this one is Treasure Garden if you want to goolge to get more info.)

In our old town it was windy pretty much all the time. You couldn't leave your umbrella open or it would take the table down with it. You need to either close it when not in use or take it out of the stand when not in use.

We have a 9 foot umbrella for our picnic table as well as on the side of our deck. DH drilled a hole in the picnic table as well as the deck and we just slide the umbrella in. Never a problem :thumbsup2

I am an outdoor person and would eat every meal outside if I could. So, I've always found it worthwhile to invest in nice, sturdy patio furniture.

I went outside this morning and took a couple of pictures of our table and chairs set.:rotfl: We've had this set for almost ten years and the umbrella has NEVER blown over. This set has been out in all kinds of weather (from the extreme cold and snow in Maine to the extreme sun and heat of Arizona) and it still looks as new the day we bought it. Here in Arizona, we leave the umbrella out year-round and really only put it down if it's very windy. In Maine, we left the set out, but took the umbrella and cushions inside for the winter.

DSCN5667.jpg

Here is a close-up of the stand that the umbrella sits in. I think it's the same as the one in the picture that sorcerormickey posted. The stand is very heavy and has a long sleeve that the pole goes into. There are two screws that go through both the sleeve and the pole. The umbrella itself is heavy canvas and is lowered and raised by cranking a handle on the pole. The set was purchase at a store specializing in patio furniture.
DSCN5668.jpg

We have another, much less expensive patio set that was used on a screened-in porch. Since it was used in an enclosed area, we didn't have to worry so much about the weather issues.

ETA: I believe the set is wrought iron. It's very sturdy! The umbrella stand is so heavy that when moving it, I end up rolling the stand instead of carrying it!

I am an outdoor person and would eat every meal outside if I could. So, I've always found it worthwhile to invest in nice, sturdy patio furniture.

I went outside this morning and took a couple of pictures of our table and chairs set.:rotfl: We've had this set for almost ten years and the umbrella has NEVER blown over. This set has been out in all kinds of weather (from the extreme cold and snow in Maine to the extreme sun and heat of Arizona) and it still looks as new the day we bought it. Here in Arizona, we leave the umbrella out year-round and really only put it down if it's very windy. In Maine, we left the set out, but took the umbrella and cushions inside for the winter.

DSCN5667.jpg

Here is a close-up of the stand that the umbrella sits in. I think it's the same as the one in the picture that sorcerormickey posted. The stand is very heavy and has a long sleeve that the pole goes into. There are two screws that go through both the sleeve and the pole. The umbrella itself is heavy canvas and is lowered and raised by cranking a handle on the pole. The set was purchase at a store specializing in patio furniture.
DSCN5668.jpg

We have another, much less expensive patio set that was used on a screened-in porch. Since it was used in an enclosed area, we didn't have to worry so much about the weather issues.

Thanks for the pics. That is a really nice set. I think we'll just have to invest in a better set. I now realize how "crappy" mine was. :)

Thanks for the pics. That is a really nice set. I think we'll just have to invest in a better set. I now realize how "crappy" mine was. :)

Actually, if you didn't want to buy another set, I bet just replacing your umbrella stand with a heavy, wrought iron one would solve the umbrella problem. As long as the umbrella pole fit in the stand, it might work.

Actually, if you didn't want to buy another set, I bet just replacing your umbrella stand with a heavy, wrought iron one would solve the umbrella problem. As long as the umbrella pole fit in the stand, it might work.

Actually last week when the umbrella tilted over it did not take the table with it so now the top of my table is broke. Def. time for a new set. A wrought iron one would be perfect. Wonder if maybe I can get a good deal towards the end of the summer?

Make sure this time that you buy an umbrella that has a crank, because then it will be easy to take down and raise. A tilt and a wind vent in the canopy will help, too.

My FIL put a 5 gallon bucket under the table, put the umbrella in it, and filled the bucket with concrete.:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter