Patience my young padawans

ConnieB

My girls with Anthony Daniels, SW Convention 2012
I hope that everyone will be patient with the Webmaster(s).....they have quite the daunting task here! My hubby is in IT and said it would be near impossible for them to move an entire forum the size of DIS to a new platform in less than a day.....and yet here we are! Does everything work.....nope, not yet...but it will. Is it different....oh yeah, but it is NOT insurmountable. I hate new software (funny coming from the wife of an IT dude, but seriously, I'm still using Frontpage for my website, because I don't want to learn something new if it ain't broke).

BUT.....this is the new reality for DIS, so I'll learn it....and I'll panic a little as I can't do something (like my subscriptions, which I would have cried if they were gone.....and I thought they were because they are NOT in the same place as the old board....but they ARE there, I found them....on the bar below my name but on the left, now called "Watched Threads". )

Let's try being patient with Webmaster....let him know what you miss, what you can't find and make suggestions (not demands) for improvements. I hope HIS patience holds out....but I have noticed several times when he has said things like "hadn't thought of that"....one in particular was to the color choices, someone with low vision needed more contrast...ok, in the zillion things he had to consider, he'd not thought of that one....but he's going to work on it. Does that mean it will be fixed today....maybe, but more likely it's on a mile long list of things he has to fix/tweak/find/create.....he even suggested reminding him. So give him a chance! At least we have our beloved boards up....and in a couple weeks everything will be running smoother and the tweaks will be made and by summer we'll have forgotten that there even WAS an old board.

Feature that I love!!!! as I type this long message it keeps saying "draft saved".....so no more long posts where something glitches and I lose the whole response! YEAH!! :tigger:

I too am impressed with how well they were able to migrate the database to this new forum software. I'm sure things will get even better as they fix all the bells and whistles as well.

I totally agree with this! It was a monumental undertaking, and relatively few actual issues, considering! I think a lot of things are just getting used to a new way of doing things. A month from now, this will all be forgotten, and we'll be back to "normal"!

Sayhello

Agree! (looking for the "thumbs up" smilie, maybe it will come along in a bit)
:thanks:

Agree! (looking for the "thumbs up" smilie, maybe it will come along in a bit)
:thanks:
Me too! It's on a separate tab. Took me a while to see it. On top, there's "Smilies" "Classic DISBoards" "Disney" and "WISH". Thumbsup is under "Classic DISBoards"! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Completely agree, moving this was HUGE and am shocked they got back online this fast. KUDOS! Years ago I worked on a forum's (same provider as last Disboard) technical end and was never so glad to not be working on something. Forum tech work is tedious thankless work. I do appreciate anyone who gives so much time.

But as far as "complaints" about legit issues - it may seem petty but it's better to keep them rolling in so that the tech folks can continue to get input as to what needs adjusting. Last night I posted about my "title" being cut in half with transfer. Not a big deal on my scale but when it affects thousands it's best to post about it asap. I included photos of what I was seeing because what I was being told was there - was not. Within minutes WebmasterCorey had made a change, told us to try again and BAM, all was good! So today when everyone woke up to the new look they could go right in and make that change rather than thousands sending messages about the problem.

Webmaster - today's input :surfweb: is the FAVICON. It's showing up as V-Bulletin's favicon rather than DIS or XenForo. Considering their history .... I would change that sooner than later.

Completely agree, moving this was HUGE and am shocked they got back online this fast. KUDOS! Years ago I worked on a forum's (same provider as last Disboard) technical end and was never so glad to not be working on something. Forum tech work is tedious thankless work. I do appreciate anyone who gives so much time.

But as far as "complaints" about legit issues - it may seem petty but it's better to keep them rolling in so that the tech folks can continue to get input as to what needs adjusting. Last night I posted about my "title" being cut in half with transfer. Not a big deal on my scale but when it affects thousands it's best to post about it asap. I included photos of what I was seeing because what I was being told was there - was not. Within minutes WebmasterCorey had made a change, told us to try again and BAM, all was good! So today when everyone woke up to the new look they could go right in and make that change rather than thousands sending messages about the problem.

Webmaster - today's input :surfweb: is the FAVICON. It's showing up as V-Bulletin's favicon rather than DIS or XenForo. Considering their history .... I would change that sooner than later.

Oh I agree that we have to keep letting him know of the issues, big and little, but some people are just being so unkind and bashing the new site. Yes, it's different, and yes, I'd rather have kept the old because I don't especially like new, lol.....but there are ways of "complaining" and then there is rude bashing. A bit of patience and common decency were what I was hoping to remind people to employ.

Oh I agree that we have to keep letting him know of the issues, big and little, but some people are just being so unkind and bashing the new site. Yes, it's different, and yes, I'd rather have kept the old because I don't especially like new, lol.....but there are ways of "complaining" and then there is rude bashing. A bit of patience and common decency were what I was hoping to remind people to employ.

I was agreeing with you .... and sharing an example how they fixed something very quickly last night. Hopefully we can give constructive help to fine tune the new product. :goodvibes

Unfortunately some people are going to be rude - all you have to do is read threads on Disboards to know there are lots of rude people on here - and am sure the DISboards folks donned their armor before this conversion.

I hope that everyone will be patient with the Webmaster(s).....they have quite the daunting task here! My hubby is in IT and said it would be near impossible for them to move an entire forum the size of DIS to a new platform in less than a day.....and yet here we are! Does everything work.....nope, not yet...but it will. Is it different....oh yeah, but it is NOT insurmountable. I hate new software (funny coming from the wife of an IT dude, but seriously, I'm still using Frontpage for my website, because I don't want to learn something new if it ain't broke).

BUT.....this is the new reality for DIS, so I'll learn it....and I'll panic a little as I can't do something (like my subscriptions, which I would have cried if they were gone.....and I thought they were because they are NOT in the same place as the old board....but they ARE there, I found them....on the bar below my name but on the left, now called "Watched Threads". )

Let's try being patient with Webmaster....let him know what you miss, what you can't find and make suggestions (not demands) for improvements. I hope HIS patience holds out....but I have noticed several times when he has said things like "hadn't thought of that"....one in particular was to the color choices, someone with low vision needed more contrast...ok, in the zillion things he had to consider, he'd not thought of that one....but he's going to work on it. Does that mean it will be fixed today....maybe, but more likely it's on a mile long list of things he has to fix/tweak/find/create.....he even suggested reminding him. So give him a chance! At least we have our beloved boards up....and in a couple weeks everything will be running smoother and the tweaks will be made and by summer we'll have forgotten that there even WAS an old board.

Feature that I love!!!! as I type this long message it keeps saying "draft saved".....so no more long posts where something glitches and I lose the whole response! YEAH!! :tigger:

I agree....OP! Well said.
I don't say much, but I am a longtime board reader and so far I am really liking the changes!

Me too! It's on a separate tab. Took me a while to see it. On top, there's "Smilies" "Classic DISBoards" "Disney" and "WISH". Thumbsup is under "Classic DISBoards"! :thumbsup2

Sayhello
:thumbsup2 I did NOT see the tabbed interface on the smilies. Thanks for that! I'm all ears for learning about the features: ::MickeyMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!