PAT - Does it matter?

It's not a make or break for me to have an early one.

It would be if I was gunning for something limited, like princess tea time, palo reservations, spa stuff, ect.

Our next cruise I'm not really wanting to have a carry on for a while bc I had weight loss surgery so will be carrying on a case of protien shakes. Normally we just each have a backpack but I have to take a roller with my shakes so I don't want to have that on me for ages while we wait.

It is my husband's first cruise those so I want him to squeeze every last drop out lol

We are driving into the port at New Orleans for the first time but will still only have carry-on-size luggage.
Since your luggage is carry-on size you have the option of keeping it with you or checking it curbside when you arrive. If you don't mind checking it, you won't need to lug it around and it will be delivered to your stateroom later. If you don't like to check bags, you would need to carry it on and keep it with you until staterooms are available (probably 1:30/2pm); or simply arrive later close to the time staterooms open.

Since your luggage is carry-on size you have the option of keeping it with you or checking it curbside when you arrive. If you don't mind checking it, you won't need to lug it around and it will be delivered to your stateroom later. If you don't like to check bags, you would need to carry it on and keep it with you until staterooms are available (probably 1:30/2pm); or simply arrive later close to the time staterooms open.

I am just adding my two cents - we travel carry-on only and keep ours with us. Our usual game plan is to go to Cabanas for lunch. We don't have a problem finding a table that has an out-of-the way spot for our bags and then just take turns going to the buffet while someone watches them. By the time we are done, we usually find a nice place to relax in the atrium or adult pool deck. It isn't long until our room is ready and then we head to it an unpack, since we always have our luggage right at room opening. We don't find it is difficult to pull our small carry on bags with us for an hour or two. Some in our Facebook group in early March didn't have their bags by about 4 and were starting to worry about having what they needed for the first dinner (I don't know if they ended up having them in time). It's rare with DCL, but bags also get lost or damaged. We pack light so airlines can't lose/damage our stuff, so it makes sense to keep it with us that last two hours. It is the same for getting off the ship, which gives us flexibility and saves a lot of time. Although I know it won't work for everyone, it is one option to consider.

As for an early PAT - it is not worth staying up late for, or experiencing the frustration that is the DCL crashing website/app during that time. You will still get on the ship at a decent time if you grab a time the next morning. Shame on DCL for not fixing this issue by now. It is one of the few black marks on what is otherwise a great cruise experience. It is so perplexing since any company with their resources could fix it in a few days if they wanted to do so. The know the problem exists, since I and many have talked to them about it. I sent a polite email to them after our last experience and they put a gift basket in my room for it - unexpected, unneeded, and while nice, I would prefer they just fix an easy thing to fix.

I am just adding my two cents - we travel carry-on only and keep ours with us.
Since your luggage is carry-on size you have the option of keeping it with you or checking it curbside when you arrive.

Thank you both, this is just what I needed! It will probably be a game-time decision on what we do with them. We normally never check luggage and are used to traveling light. Glad to have this option!

As far as the check-in goes, I'm going on a cruise with Norwegian this summer and I've been told by others that I'll have to upload a picture. I think more cruise lines are starting to go this route.

Our friends are going on NCL this weekend and they had to upload a copy of their passports and headshot same as DCL.

neither was near this complicated (nor did I have to get up in the middle of the night to do it!)

You don't need to get up in the middle of the night unless you really want an early PAT or there's something you really want to book that you can do at check-in. We didn't even book our cruise until 27 days out and then didn't do the check-in until the next evening. We didn't intend to go to Palo (there were dinner times available) or want an early PAT or need to book any tastings (some of which were still available by the time we got on the ship).

Do you know what time staterooms have been ready lately?

We were told 2 pm and they were taking the rope down at exactly 2 pm.

And that’s the other thing. Definitely not a morning person. If I can sleep in on vacation, have a coffee, have a leisurely breakfast with coffee, take my time to pack up and have another coffee and stroll on down to my transort - that’s gold to me. Waaay more important than an early arrival. If no time for coffee given then someone gonna get hurt.
Have you heard the song Stress, by Jim's Big Ego? I think you'd like it. :-)☕

we like an early pat so that we can get into the sit-down restaurant for lunch before they close.

Honestly not worth the stress involved. Lots of options for embarkation lunch. Relax. You get there when you get there.
I remember those days when “roll with it” was my way of life. Would love to have them back. There were days where I could even start the late morning with umbrella drinks and finish the night with French fries or pizza and more drinks. My body had thoughtless and free movement, now I take pills on a full stomach and choose a table over a booth so I don’t struggle to get in and out.
I hope your life stays stress free. I would not wish this stress on anyone. But we are all delt different hands, I’ll work with what I have. I’m just hoping to play the game as long as I can.
Wishing good health to everyone.

Being in Germany I have to get up super early to check-in at midnight.. For shorter sailings I like an early PAT, for longer I really dont care. We have no things to take care day of, no dining or Kids club signups etc.. We just like a nice spot at Cabanas.

We are sailing on the Wonder from Vancouver to Hawaii, so we have a longe sailing and this time a room at the Pan Pacific. We are only 2 days in town before too. So I am no rush to check-out of the hotel. I might watch embarkation a bit and then head over. We are in no rush.

especially if the weather is bad, raining, we are in no rush as the pool deck wont be a thing. I do like to swim while in port day of and have my " getting in cruise mode" drink of the day.

We are driving into the port at New Orleans for the first time but will still only have carry-on-size luggage. Each of us has one suitcase and one backpack.

Upon reading this I realized I am not sure what happens with our luggage when we get to the parking garage - do we keep it all with us or leave it somewhere to be checked? In the past, we have stayed on WDW property and taken DCL transportation to Port Canaveral so we never saw our luggage after they came and picked it up from our room.

We got an early 11:15 PAT but now I am wondering if we should just take our time and arrive later if we have to have all our luggage with us.
You pull up and the porter will take your luggage. Just remember to tip, they are not Disney employees

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter